Strange Days

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so sent a second email outlining the steps I'd taken to track him down, how I'd tried to call but phone went right to voice mail but had left message, finding the false name, the forwarded email address info and that if I didn't hear back from him by tomorrow morning I'd be calling the cops as I had no other recourse. Got this back in less than an hour from him:
Madam or Sir,

Your facility was a disappointment and not what was promised as was discussed. That was the reason for our departing when no one was present to help us resolve the problems. While traveling, have had one of our phones cease working and will be back home in about two weeks.

It's not necessary for you to mention that you plan to contact the state police or anyone though that is certainly your privilege if you wish to proceed in that manner. It does not speak well resolving an disagreement nor for relationships that you may have with guests including us. It is unnecessarily offensive to do so.

You made some charges to our company account well prior to our arrival. And, on arrival we offered you our current card in the event of any added charges. You declined.

Once we arrive home, hear from you in writing the details of what your claim consists of, we will respond promptly and appropriately and expect that this matter should be resolved in a fair and equitable way.

As mentioned when the reservation was made, we have owned a hotel in California for many years and have high standards for our personal travel. Many of the deficiencies of your facility were not addressed when the contact was first made with you. We clearly identified ourselves as well into our 70s, not as ambulatory and found it near impossible to negotiate a stairwell that was irregular, not tall enough to stand or step normally and dangerous. Fire and life safety is a necessary element in our travel. It's unfortunate you chose to keep from disclosing this after repeated queries as to the condition of your property.

Sincerely,

ANOTHER name (different from the first two!)

Keep in mind I NEVER spoke to him, he emailed me numerous questions about the area which I answered. He never asked anything about the house. He is also flat out lying about the credit card at checkin, I didn't ask, he didn't offer, and I definitely didn't decline.
[h3] [/h3]
[h3]
[/h3]
[h3] [/h3].
BTW, I would also call their issuer with a CODE 10. Suggest the card is being used for fraud and has been duplicated. If they ask you for the code on the back, give them any three digits (that obviously won't match) and they should mark the card as stolen. The next time he goes to the use the card, the cops will find him. And the CC will have to issue him a new card. That will slow him down for a while. And certainly know better than to try it at a B&B.
Frankly, I would make his life miserable. Forward the IP addresses to the cops. Get his cards cancelled. Give them everything to close him down and make him start his life over again. Including identity theft.
And in the future, when you aren't sure, run a preauth. (It's usually under the Other Menu) and locks the money. If it doesn't work, then immediate deal with it. Even if it means calling a friendly donut eating human into the house to deal with him, personally.

Oh my! Just reading this post. Sorry Don for having to deal with these thieves, and yes that is just what they are. Make a police report, contact your state association and the state associations around you, provide the names that you have been made aware they are using as well as any other information - including the strange ways. Ask them to help spread the word to every B&B they can.
These individuals are using B&B's because they know there is no real connections to each other and many do not know there are laws against this. By the time word gets out in one state (if it does!) they are in another.
Spreading the word on these thieves is the only way they will be caught. For many years our sheriff would send out lists of individuals who were wanted for writing bad checks and many stores posted the list up where all could see. I think this practice has now gone mostly electronic except for the few mom & pops that don't take CC.

Ok, so sent a second email outlining the steps I'd taken to track him down, how I'd tried to call but phone went right to voice mail but had left message, finding the false name, the forwarded email address info and that if I didn't hear back from him by tomorrow morning I'd be calling the cops as I had no other recourse. Got this back in less than an hour from him:
Madam or Sir,

Your facility was a disappointment and not what was promised as was discussed. That was the reason for our departing when no one was present to help us resolve the problems. While traveling, have had one of our phones cease working and will be back home in about two weeks.

It's not necessary for you to mention that you plan to contact the state police or anyone though that is certainly your privilege if you wish to proceed in that manner. It does not speak well resolving an disagreement nor for relationships that you may have with guests including us. It is unnecessarily offensive to do so.

You made some charges to our company account well prior to our arrival. And, on arrival we offered you our current card in the event of any added charges. You declined.

Once we arrive home, hear from you in writing the details of what your claim consists of, we will respond promptly and appropriately and expect that this matter should be resolved in a fair and equitable way.

As mentioned when the reservation was made, we have owned a hotel in California for many years and have high standards for our personal travel. Many of the deficiencies of your facility were not addressed when the contact was first made with you. We clearly identified ourselves as well into our 70s, not as ambulatory and found it near impossible to negotiate a stairwell that was irregular, not tall enough to stand or step normally and dangerous. Fire and life safety is a necessary element in our travel. It's unfortunate you chose to keep from disclosing this after repeated queries as to the condition of your property.

Sincerely,

ANOTHER name (different from the first two!)

Keep in mind I NEVER spoke to him, he emailed me numerous questions about the area which I answered. He never asked anything about the house. He is also flat out lying about the credit card at checkin, I didn't ask, he didn't offer, and I definitely didn't decline.
[h3] [/h3]
[h3]
[/h3]
[h3] [/h3].
Dial the following phone number: 911
Let them handle it. Print a copy of all email and correspondence. Hand it to them. Print a copy of your terms as posted on your website. Hand it to them. Then go out back, give a primal yell, turn back into the house, composed and relax.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Dial the following phone number: 911
Let them handle it. Print a copy of all email and correspondence. Hand it to them. Print a copy of your terms as posted on your website. Hand it to them. Then go out back, give a primal yell, turn back into the house, composed and relax.
No. This is not a life-threatening emergency, and would be a misuse of the system.

Oh my! Just reading this post. Sorry Don for having to deal with these thieves, and yes that is just what they are. Make a police report, contact your state association and the state associations around you, provide the names that you have been made aware they are using as well as any other information - including the strange ways. Ask them to help spread the word to every B&B they can.
These individuals are using B&B's because they know there is no real connections to each other and many do not know there are laws against this. By the time word gets out in one state (if it does!) they are in another.
Spreading the word on these thieves is the only way they will be caught. For many years our sheriff would send out lists of individuals who were wanted for writing bad checks and many stores posted the list up where all could see. I think this practice has now gone mostly electronic except for the few mom & pops that don't take CC..
copperhead said:
These individuals are using B&B's because they know there is no real connections to each other
They also believe you do not have the time and resources to pursue it beyond filing a complaint with the local police. While that is probably true, it might be surprising to them to discover what resources you do have.

Spreading the word on these thieves is the only way they will be caught. For many years our sheriff would send out lists of individuals who were wanted for writing bad checks and many stores posted the list up where all could see. I think this practice has now gone mostly electronic except for the few mom & pops that don't take CC..
copperhead said:
These individuals are using B&B's because they know there is no real connections to each other
They also believe you do not have the time and resources to pursue it beyond filing a complaint with the local police. While that is probably true, it might be surprising to them to discover what resources you do have.
Yes, and I really don't think they realize how much they've gotten my Irish up...you mess with the bull you get the horns.
ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE THE NAMES OF THESE INDIVIDUALS PLEASE EMAIL ME THROUGH THE FORUM CONTACT AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE.
Our local police officer is coming over this afternoon. I'll keep y'all posted.

Anymore news on this one?.
Local cop called me back last week and said he shared the case with a detective and since it is more of a contract violation it would be a civil versus criminal dispute, despite all the false info. They weren't willing to take it any further.
I fumed about it for three days then realized I was letting these complete JERKS not only rip me off but rob me of my peace of mind.

Local cop called me back last week and said he shared the case with a detective and since it is more of a contract violation it would be a civil versus criminal dispute, despite all the false info. They weren't willing to take it any further.
I fumed about it for three days then realized I was letting these complete JERKS not only rip me off but rob me of my peace of mind.
Interesting police. Don't seem to know the difference between fraud/cons and contractual. My guess is that they simply want it off their statistics. Classifying crimes away is a great ploy. The police do it here as well. Makes the stats look great, until the tipping point.

Interesting police. Don't seem to know the difference between fraud/cons and contractual. My guess is that they simply want it off their statistics. Classifying crimes away is a great ploy. The police do it here as well. Makes the stats look great, until the tipping point.
It was disappointing, but as I said I just decided not to waste any more energy on it. But to ME it was a theft, and those jerks can live with that on their conscience.

It was disappointing, but as I said I just decided not to waste any more energy on it. But to ME it was a theft, and those jerks can live with that on their conscience.
Send the invoice. And, whatever day of the month the card last worked for you to take the deposit, try it again on that day. They may have an automatic deposit every month from an investment.
But, you're right, you can't let it eat at you.

Back