Strange idea for marketing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This just came to me, so feel free to build on this idea as it comes to you.
Have you ever considered getting some people who are active online, social media, blogging etc, together at your inn?
I will say the age group that you are working to attract currently, say 20's and 30's - those who are INTO Social Media - travel with cameras/video/laptops/iphone/ipads etc. Couples, girl friend getaways (ie Moms who are very active online.) Give them a free stay in a barter for tourism marketing. Not professional travel writers or photographers, but take the bull by the horns on this one!
The idea is this - you can give them itineraries and lists of things to see and do in your "vicinity" and let them go to town. They will take photos and tweet them, foursquare your place, share them all over the internet, post them and then write more in depth later on. I am talking about trying to do this all at once, fill the house up, let them share ideas and market YOUR DESTINATION for you.
(Obv this would not be when you are already full. As a blogger and a traveler and someone who enjoys a challenge I would be up for this in a heart beat...so the next step would be to find those people in an approprate way, there are plenty of outlets out there with access I can think of and will discuss later)
Now I am ready for your feedback...

Interesting idea and one that if it is coming from the innkeeper rather than being solicited from the innkeeper might be fun. It's gotta be clear you're not looking for reviews but for them to blog, tweet and the like about their entire stay.
Maybe even host a tweet-up.

One idea is to have them #HASHTAG your town, location, B&B often as well on twitter. One method to get the word out.
There are plenty of bloggers out there and CIRCLES of bloggers who have a huge draw, they don't make money or much money doing it, it is part of their life. They might be excited to be in on something like this.

I am a fairly new member here (just a month or so) and have never posted before (as our search for an innkeepers' position is still ongoing -- although we have an in person meeting/interview this weekend in Texas and are very excited), but as a freelance writer with many years of experience both before and after the advent of social media, I think this is a fabulous idea!
Social media has become a way of life, but I think it's simply an extension of what we "oldsters" used to call "networking" -- the monthly Chamber of Commerce luncheons and Toastmasters meetings, etc.
You mentioned that you are a blogger, so perhaps you could run this as a contest on your blog. Rand McNally recently ran a contest (about a year ago or so) that sent the winners on a cross-country trip -- Rand McNally provided the vehicle and accommodations, plus a per diem, and the winners had to "journal" their adventures via social media sites with video, written blog entries, photos, etc.
I think it could be a very successful project, both in marketing value for your B&B and in experience value for your winners!

I love the idea. I have given rooms with less of a chance to get "payback". When I get home I think I will start trying to figure out where to start to find my Tweeting Bloggers. As always, the Joyfully-Fertile Brain comes up with a winning idea.

It's a great idea! You would have to spell out clear details on the offer for the free stay, of course. And you can't control the content, or won't get any takers. Also, you don't want someone to try to turn this opportunity into a lengthy free stay.

Back