Strange Setup in Guestroom

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so i stripped the guestrooms this morning and, in one of the bedrooms, a pillowcase was draped over the mirror, covering the mirror.
i thought ... odd ... took the pillowcase off carefully and all is okay. mirror not cracked, pillowcase not wet and hung there to dry. ??
into the bathroom to get the towels, a towel was draped over that mirror as well.
the small (i guess dessert plate sized) makeup/shaving mirror was not covered up and the arm that holds it anchored to the wall was extended so someone used that mirror.
did one of my guests have body issues? surgical scars? removal of a part and not wanting to see self reflected? psychological problems?
to my eyes, average looking guests - but that was fully clothed.
i have been thinking about this and puzzling over it. if they had asked beforehand that i take down their mirrors during their stay, i could have done so. not the little makeup one but the two big ones. but maybe they would not have wanted to tell me anything about it. if they'd taken the pillow case and towel down before checking out, i would never had known.
has anyone encountered this before?

Might they have been in town for a funeral? Some religions require mirrors to be covered after the death of a loved one for a certain number of days.

Can you tell us a nationality of the guests?
Fear of mirrors: An abnormal and persistent fear of mirrors. Sufferers experience undue anxiety even though they realize their fear is irrational. Because their fear often is grounded in superstitions, they may worry that breaking a mirror will bring bad luck or that looking into a mirror will put them in contact with a supernatural world inside the glass.
Fear of mirrors is termed "Eisoptrophobia."
The other explanation is a Jewish custom to cover all mirrors when someone dies for 7 days of mourning.
Of course there are those who believe a mirror is a graven image - so Amish and other groups will not have mirrors in their homes.

Is there by chance a window where light maybe was coming in and reflected in the mirror and bothering their sleep???
Boy again, you Maine folks sure seem to be getting your share of out of the ordinary guests.
sad_smile.gif

Do the mirrors reflect at them while laying in bed?? Maybe they can't stand to look at themselve in bed... Gheez I don't know?????
You all know what a sensitive sleeper I am...well, our new heat pumps were installed yesterday..the LED read out thermostat is on the hallway wall outside our bedroom..well it lit up the entire first floor!!! Come on now..I have GOT TO SLEEP! so we put a towel over it and on to slumberland I went.
Gladly, hubby read the instructions today and learned how to turn that LED off..Thank goodness!
So given my idiocincracies (sp???) who knows what was up??
If you find out let us know

Is there by chance a window where light maybe was coming in and reflected in the mirror and bothering their sleep???
Boy again, you Maine folks sure seem to be getting your share of out of the ordinary guests.
sad_smile.gif

Do the mirrors reflect at them while laying in bed?? Maybe they can't stand to look at themselve in bed... Gheez I don't know?????
You all know what a sensitive sleeper I am...well, our new heat pumps were installed yesterday..the LED read out thermostat is on the hallway wall outside our bedroom..well it lit up the entire first floor!!! Come on now..I have GOT TO SLEEP! so we put a towel over it and on to slumberland I went.
Gladly, hubby read the instructions today and learned how to turn that LED off..Thank goodness!
If you find out let us know.
catlady said:
sad_smile.gif
That's what happens when you have 7 rooms... lots of opportunity for dealing with the full range of humanity!
=)
Kk.

Hey it breaks up the monotony if you ask me. Makes this job more interesting.
Remember the sleep walker here? I wore that story out with guests for months. Now I am onto the big wig retired admiral who was here for a 4 yr old's tea party.
Guests love to hear guest stories. Plus it adds variety to the same quesitons I have to field with every-single-guest. How long have you been doing this? What did you do before? Do you like it? Is it hard work? dot dot dot

Remember the sleep walker here? I wore that story out with guests for months. Now I am onto the big wig retired admiral who was here for a 4 yr old's tea party.
Guests love to hear guest stories. Plus it adds variety to the same quesitons I have to field with every-single-guest. How long have you been doing this? What did you do before? Do you like it? Is it hard work? dot dot dot.
vampires? i like that idea.
devil_smile.gif

nationality? seemed like mongrels like me but i don't know.
possibly a recent death - they weren't here for a funeral but still could be in mourning. wouldn't they bring black cloths for that?
graven image .. possible i guess.
reflection bothering them while they sleep? the one in the room is up high, but opposite the bed on an interior wall. you can only see yourself if standing on the bed right in the middle. (hopefully they were not!)
but bathroom mirror is around the corner ... no reflection of light or glare while sleeping.
hmmm ... i still like the vampire idea. but they were out during the day so they have to be the new strain that comes out in daylight.
eight guest rooms, yes - all kinds of folks come through here.
~m*

Guests love to hear guest stories. Plus it adds variety to the same quesitons I have to field with every-single-guest. How long have you been doing this? What did you do before? Do you like it? Is it hard work? dot dot dot.
devil_smile.gif

possibly a recent death - they weren't here for a funeral but still could be in mourning. wouldn't they bring black cloths for that?
reflection bothering them while they sleep? the one in the room is up high, but opposite the bed on an interior wall. you can only see yourself if standing on the bed right in the middle. (hopefully they were not!)
but bathroom mirror is around the corner ... no reflection of light or glare while sleeping.
hmmm ... i still like the vampire idea. but they were out during the day so they have to be the new strain that comes out in daylight.
~m*
LOL Vegan Vampires, check your house plants for bite marks. LOL

devil_smile.gif

~m*
seashanty said:
devil_smile.gif

~m*
See the best part is now you have a conversational topic that guests will love! You can suggest the vampire bit and then leave them to figure it out. Everyone loves a mystery!

devil_smile.gif

~m*
swirt said:
Amish Vampires?

devil_smile.gif

~m*
swirt said:
Amish Vampires?
They work hard, but they take no pleasure in what they do. LOL

I didn't read the responses, but maybe the sunlight was shining on the mirrors, then onto the bed? Cause we had that in one room and we didn't realize it until one of the guests told us. So we installed shades.

mirror between the windows ... not much sun comes in the room at all ... no ... not sunlight.
odd one, huh?

sad_smile.gif

If you find out let us know.
You and Bree would make good roommates at a conference or convention
teeth_smile.gif

We had fun experience a couple of years ago with a painting. In one of the bedrooms there is a selfportrait of my husband painted 20 years ago with long bushy hair and beard. We had a couple for 1 night and in the morning when I came to clean painting was locked in the closet.

We had fun experience a couple of years ago with a painting. In one of the bedrooms there is a selfportrait of my husband painted 20 years ago with long bushy hair and beard. We had a couple for 1 night and in the morning when I came to clean painting was locked in the closet..
LOL ... I have had the urge to do that myself. One place we stayed had very creepy portraits of people staring at us....gave me the willies. I left them hanging where they were and decided to be brave.
tounge_smile.gif

We had fun experience a couple of years ago with a painting. In one of the bedrooms there is a selfportrait of my husband painted 20 years ago with long bushy hair and beard. We had a couple for 1 night and in the morning when I came to clean painting was locked in the closet..
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
?! was it scary?

scary? - no. But maybe they were doing something they should not and could not take the stare.

whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
?! was it scary?
LOL I got through it, but I discovered that I definitely prefer places without people-portaits in the bedrooms. Paintings of Nature good, animals good, still-lifes good, people BAD.
wink_smile.gif

Back