Strangest or Most Unusual Reasons a Guest has Stayed with you

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to have everyone list the most unusual or strangest reason a guest has stayed with you. I had a couple all time unusual ones of late, so I will start. If you want to write a short paragraph for each one to explain it feel free, or just the reason for the stay.
  • Tea Party - 5 year old's tea party. Couple from DC - he a big fellow, retired Navy, she still working in foreign affairs for dept of state. Their friend's grandaughter had a tea party, and they were invited. So they stayed with us to attend.
  • What About Bob - Was filmed at nearby Smith Mountain Lake. I can give directions to the town (Moneta) and Dr Leo Marvin's house on the lake (now a private home). These guests, like myself, found What about Bob to be one of the all time funniest movies. So they stayed with us while visiting the area of What About Bob (no not New Hampshuh)

None of my reasons are unusual... weddings, seminars, horse shows, car races, visiting family, funeral, traveling thru Ohio, reunions, university orientation and other events, speakers.
We did have a family spend one night while their house got new carpet after the fire in their garage.
=)
Kk.

Not too unusual...walk-in whose apt was being painted. She said it was funny to wake up to a different view in the same town. Just took a booking from a woman who said she picked us because our cancellation policy made us sound 'hospitable'. All I can figure is she's going to cancel.
Oh wait, the Ghost Walk we did here. THAT had to be the most unusual, even tho we started it.
But, we've had callers and walk-ins say it was because of the lawn.
Another caller who said the innkeepers at another place had better prices but they were rude. (I guess it's not actually unusual that they would stay here, then, is it? Just odd they would say so.) Oh, and the guests whose rez was cancelled by the same place. That was an odd reason to pick us, but understandable.
'Breakfast on the sunporch' quoted from our brochure.
But guests coming here to do something unusual hasn't really happened, at least it wasn't memorable to me. Well, there were the 2 guys here for the massacre re-enactment...

We had a couple show up at our front door one really hot July day looking pretty bedrageled...the first thing she said was, "Do you have air conditioning? We were staying at the "lodge" and there is no air conditioning there..we couldn't stand it!"
Everyone else was pretty much common...get away for the weekend, doing civil war sites, seeing the Caverns, or Hiking in the National Park.

Minister from Illinois came here to marry their parisheners. (She was from here), otherwise same as Kk, UNL, weddings, jobs, research, visiting family.
Oh one asked about gift certificate. He hadn't gotten along very well with his brother and it had been a few years since they had seen each other. Brother has been treated for cancer. If they got in a fight and left, would I let his brother have a gift certificate for unused days. (They had a good time and got along well.)

I think there are more out there...y'all have to put on your thinking caps. Like me, the guests become one Joe Guest after a while.
Of course there was the internet meet-up. She with her "careful baby onboard" bumper sticker on the TN plated mini van and he with his "can we place naked twister and marijuana/beer breath" and MD plates.

I had the whole house booking (all of another race) who work at Goodyear tire plant in another state. They had a hurricane hit the coast where they had booked a friends weekend away and called me and we booked every room! (That hurricane was good to us).
regular_smile.gif

Our first weekend was a group of Civil War re-enactors (from PA but in grey uniforms, natch) with two getting married on Antietam Battlefield in Dunker Church, in the evening with no electricity and making all their own food for the reception. I say fervently that I do not understand that lifestyle and I will be happy to never experience it again up close and personal.
Jeanne

I'm sure I have PLENTY but they're escaping me right now. The most recent would be the couple who called from the local coin-op laundry. Their laundry was taking longer than they had expected so they decided to grab something to eat and stay overnight. They ended up staying for 3 nights.

I'm sure I have PLENTY but they're escaping me right now. The most recent would be the couple who called from the local coin-op laundry. Their laundry was taking longer than they had expected so they decided to grab something to eat and stay overnight. They ended up staying for 3 nights..
The Tipsy Butler said:
I'm sure I have PLENTY but they're escaping me right now. The most recent would be the couple who called from the local coin-op laundry. Their laundry was taking longer than they had expected so they decided to grab something to eat and stay overnight. They ended up staying for 3 nights.
It's so difficult getting those woollens to dry quickly...

Back