Strawberry Yoghurt Bites

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to recall making something like this many many years ago. I have never been a fan of jello in any form..just a turn off to me. But Hey, let me know how it turns out I am curious. I think greek yogurt would work just fine.

Next up- presentation...how would you serve these if these were all you were serving?.
Madeleine said:
Next up- presentation...how would you serve these if these were all you were serving?
If you add Tequila, that's easy...in shot glasses.
cheers.gif

Depending on what you're making, DW and I thought something like this would be a good plate filler instead of fruit garnish. Or, if you did a larger version of this in something like a shortcake cup, you could serve it as a starter.
If you fill hollowed citrus rinds you can serve as your garnish. see:
http://anothercookieplease.com/2011/06/thirsty-thursday-orange-wedge-jell-o-shots/
you could skip the booze and use OJ or water.

Next up- presentation...how would you serve these if these were all you were serving?.
Madeleine said:
Next up- presentation...how would you serve these if these were all you were serving?
cheers.gif

Depending on what you're making, DW and I thought something like this would be a good plate filler instead of fruit garnish. Or, if you did a larger version of this in something like a shortcake cup, you could serve it as a starter.
http://anothercookieplease.com/2011/06/thirsty-thursday-orange-wedge-jell-o-shots/
No not jello shots! Man pinterest if FULL of those...
Hey last night there was an interesting orange at a restaurant. I cannot explain it but to say - cut the orange in half. then cut the bottom off about 1 inch. then take the orange half (citrust part) out of it and insert the bottom back in! Like I said, I have no way of explaining it, but thought it was nifty, instead of tossing the orange peel, they used it. Let me google and see if there is anything similar.
WAIT! I found it, similar to this but looks nicer in person! (The bottom cut was thicker, so it made a little table in the orange)
http://psycho5728.wordpress.com/2010/05/16/how-to-make-a-simple-orange-display/

You could just simplify this and make panna cotta with a strawberry on top. No need for flavoured brand name gelatin at all..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You could just simplify this and make panna cotta with a strawberry on top. No need for flavoured brand name gelatin at all.
How in the heck is panna cotta more simple? It requires more ingredients, more prep and more time. Here, we are talking two basic ingredients and a quick zap in the microwave.

Madeleine said:
cheers.gif

Hey last night there was an interesting orange at a restaurant. I cannot explain it but to say - cut the orange in half. then cut the bottom off about 1 inch. then take the orange half (citrust part) out of it and insert the bottom back in! Like I said, I have no way of explaining it, but thought it was nifty, instead of tossing the orange peel, they used it. Let me google and see if there is anything similar.
WAIT! I found it, similar to this but looks nicer in person! (The bottom cut was thicker, so it made a little table in the orange)
JB Those are so cute! I agree NO jello shots for breakfast.
But the wedges are cute, saw one with strawberry or watermelon jello in a lime rind with black sesame seed sprinkled on the wedge.
I have to say there are some really creative uses for Jello, granted most contain alcohol but you can always subsitute.

Madeleine said:
cheers.gif

Oranges on the half shell...
orange%20on%20half%20shell.JPG

You could just simplify this and make panna cotta with a strawberry on top. No need for flavoured brand name gelatin at all..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You could just simplify this and make panna cotta with a strawberry on top. No need for flavoured brand name gelatin at all.
How in the heck is panna cotta more simple? It requires more ingredients, more prep and more time. Here, we are talking two basic ingredients and a quick zap in the microwave.
And relying on artificial strawberry flavour.
I don't know about your panna cotta, but mine is milk/cream, gelatin, sugar and vanilla. Nothing artificial at all. Basically about 2.5 cups of milk/cream, .5 cup of sugar, a package of gelatin and some vanilla. Essentially you can just do unflavoured gelatin and vanilla yogurt and it would still essentially be panna cotta.

Madeleine said:
cheers.gif

But the wedges are cute, saw one with strawberry or watermelon jello in a lime rind with black sesame seed sprinkled on the wedge.
I have to say there are some really creative uses for Jello, granted most contain alcohol but you can always subsitute.
Weaver said:
And of course, as an innkeeper being cognisant of gelatin being made from pork, for those guests who do not eat pork as a religious observance, or for vegans and some vegetarians. To rehash last years discussion (as Easter is around the corner) also PEEPS are made with Gelatin. We discovered there are gelatin free (Agar instead), or a better term Kosher Peeps.
But many yogurts have gelatin in it as well. Gummy bears and jelly beans...
To totally sidetrack this thread. Just in case someone decided to make this jell-o dish thinking a vegetarian would be fine with it.

Madeleine said:
cheers.gif

Weaver said:
Good gravy! I was kidding about the tequila shots.
tounge_smile.gif
Now, if you could figure out how do to this yogurt-jello combo for a mimosa or bellini...

Madeleine said:
cheers.gif

Weaver said:
And of course, as an innkeeper being cognisant of gelatin being made from pork, for those guests who do not eat pork as a religious observance, or for vegans and some vegetarians. To rehash last years discussion (as Easter is around the corner) also PEEPS are made with Gelatin. We discovered there are gelatin free (Agar instead), or a better term Kosher Peeps.
To totally sidetrack this thread. Just in case someone decided to make this jell-o dish thinking a vegetarian would be fine with it.
I always keep that in mind after the 'vegan' incident where I made another strawberry + gelatin starter. Oy. I wonder what it was I made. It was fun whatever it was. Back before I had all the recipes in a book.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I don't know about your panna cotta, but mine is milk/cream, gelatin, sugar and vanilla. Nothing artificial at all. Basically about 2.5 cups of milk/cream, .5 cup of sugar, a package of gelatin and some vanilla. Essentially you can just do unflavoured gelatin and vanilla yogurt and it would still essentially be panna cotta.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
My point exactly. Why make panna cotta? Too many ingredients, too much effort, too many dishes. This other is quick and easy.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
My point exactly. Why make panna cotta? Too many ingredients, too much effort, too many dishes. This other is quick and easy.
Let's see, the quality of a panna cotta versus using commercial artificially flavoured Jell-O would be my number one reason. But essentially if you use yogurt or if you use cream/milk, it's still essentially considered panna cotta. The difference is that I get to control what goes in.

Do you remember all the old Kraft recipes. We had a guest recently who even worked for them at the time they used to have these recipes on TV in Canada.
Like a recipe for Mac & Cheese that would include things like a 1/2 cup of marshmellows, two tablespoons of Parkay margarine and four Kraft caramels.

Madeleine said:
cheers.gif

Weaver said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Weaver said:
Which is why I buy Kosher gelatin, and no store bought marshmallows.
There are good vegetarian and Kosher certified jelling products that I have found to work just great.
Kraft foods and the people at the Jello production plants swear a rabbi has certified the jello as Parve (neutral) and is in fact kosher, however there is NO kosher certification on the boxes. It is way more complicated than there is space for here, but suffice it to say Jello as wonderful and adaptable as it is, the actual brand is neither kosher nor vegetarian.
I should have pointed it out earlier, however I always use Kolatin and just substitute Jello brand name as the generic term for a gelatin product when speaking to most people. Kolatin brand is certified kosher and parve, but it is still made from beef hide and therefore will not be acceptable for a vegetarian.

Madeleine said:
cheers.gif

My thoughts exactly...use it as an easy, colorful garnish to a first course fruit dish. I would not use it as a stand-alone since I don't trust that everyone will like the jiggle factor of the jello, but it should hold well for several days in the refrigerator so making extras should pay off.

Back