Strict Policies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the strictest policies that I find on most B&B websites is the length of time for the cancellation policy. We had so few cancellations here with only 5 rooms and had a 72 hour policy. I think that there are probably folks who aren't booking at B&Bs because of these 7-14 day cancellation policies for just regular bookings. I'm sure the flak will fly over me posting that..
Samster said:
I think that there are probably folks who aren't booking at B&Bs because of these 7-14 day cancellation policies for just regular bookings.
Bingo.

Cancellations in writing is perfectly fine. I also send an email or letter confirming their cancellation and give them a cancel number. This is apparently required by credit card companies if you are using a CC to hold the room.
Some hotels may not hold your room past 6:00 p.m. unless you notify them that you will be late. Guests can phone if they will be late, it's not hard. My confirmation says:-
My check-in time is between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. If you think you'll be arriving earlier or later please phone and let me know. My toll-free number is below. Gino the cat hasn't learned to unlock the doors yet so I need to ensure I am home to let you in!.
ginocat said:
Gino the cat hasn't learned to unlock the doors yet so I need to ensure I am home to let you in!
Love that!
It works 99% of the time unless someone hasn't bothered to read their confirmation.
wink_smile.gif

One of the strictest policies that I find on most B&B websites is the length of time for the cancellation policy. We had so few cancellations here with only 5 rooms and had a 72 hour policy. I think that there are probably folks who aren't booking at B&Bs because of these 7-14 day cancellation policies for just regular bookings. I'm sure the flak will fly over me posting that..
My 14 day cancel policy is no problem at all for me. I also have a $50 cancel fee effective from time of booking. Also no problem. If it does stop people from booking it hasn't bothered my business.

I really think it depends on your area and how many other lodging places there are. If you are the lone property that has a lengthy cancellation, then it might be hurting you. We have a 10 day cancellation & $25 cancellation fee and it works for us.

When I did not have a 2 week canx policy, I had a ton of people canx at the last minute and I never filled the rooms. The best thing I ever did was put in a 2 week policy. If someone does not stay because of it, my books did not show a drop but the amount of cancellations went down to almost zero within the two week period. I also have a set $25 fee to canx at anytime. Works well.

I really think it depends on your area and how many other lodging places there are. If you are the lone property that has a lengthy cancellation, then it might be hurting you. We have a 10 day cancellation & $25 cancellation fee and it works for us.
Breakfast Diva said:
I really think it depends on your area and how many other lodging places there are.
Yes, so many things that we all do differently really depend on exactly that - your price, your amenities, your cancellation policy, your breakfasts. Competition and location drive those things more than ANYTHING else. You can't know what really works for someone else's business. All we can do is share what works for us, and hopefully it sparks some ideas.

I still think that absence of proof is not proof of absence in this case. You have no idea how many people are leaving your site because of a lengthy cancellation time. I know that I'm definitely one of them and I've never had to cancel a B&B rez yet. jmvvho.

I still think that absence of proof is not proof of absence in this case. You have no idea how many people are leaving your site because of a lengthy cancellation time. I know that I'm definitely one of them and I've never had to cancel a B&B rez yet. jmvvho.
But if they have an occupancy rate where they want it to be - it doesn't matter how many move on. IF they have all the business they are comfortable with.....

But if they have an occupancy rate where they want it to be - it doesn't matter how many move on. IF they have all the business they are comfortable with.....
That's very true. But increased demand means higher room rates. With higher room rates, you can be even slower if you want to be. The key to getting both the occupancy and the room rate to where you want them to be is always always always always increase demand.
Innkeepers can turn folks away if they want to keep occupancy down. Close rooms off. But restrictive booking policies decrease demand and thus decrease room rates. Never a good plan. IMHO.
Make them want to book so the rates can make whatever occupancy you want to run sustainable. All the profit is in the daily rate so it just, to me, makes no sense at all to do anything that lowers it longterm.

That's very true. But increased demand means higher room rates. With higher room rates, you can be even slower if you want to be. The key to getting both the occupancy and the room rate to where you want them to be is always always always always increase demand.
Innkeepers can turn folks away if they want to keep occupancy down. Close rooms off. But restrictive booking policies decrease demand and thus decrease room rates. Never a good plan. IMHO.
Make them want to book so the rates can make whatever occupancy you want to run sustainable. All the profit is in the daily rate so it just, to me, makes no sense at all to do anything that lowers it longterm.
But revenue reaches a point in an area where it will not fly - no matter what you do. I was referring to the absence of proof. If i had a lot of cancels but that number went down after I instituted a more restrictive cancel policy BUT my rez numbers stayed up there, I would look at it as a winner. In my area, I believe higher rates would hurt me more than help. I have raised them over the years to what I believe is my price point now. I am higher than the local chains but then, I have always been very flexible for my guests and their comfort so I get it. I rarely get a cancel either. Right now the rez I took this morning is hoping the saturday rez I took yesterday cancels because he wants ALL rooms for 2 nights. He and I are both going to lose that one. (2 nights revenue instead of 1 - sigh!)

No matter what, the room rate needs to be match the amenities and location of the inn.
What does the establishment have on offer to expect guests to pay their going rate? Does the B&B have an atmosphere cohesive for those rates or is it just a room?
We sometimes cringe when we see $79 a night and realize that is what it is where they are. When we looked at buying in the White Mountains of NH we were appalled at the room rates, I mean unless it was 5 star you had so much competition the rates were low. Yet at the same time many there rent out their own rooms and when the peak season hits it hits!

But revenue reaches a point in an area where it will not fly - no matter what you do. I was referring to the absence of proof. If i had a lot of cancels but that number went down after I instituted a more restrictive cancel policy BUT my rez numbers stayed up there, I would look at it as a winner. In my area, I believe higher rates would hurt me more than help. I have raised them over the years to what I believe is my price point now. I am higher than the local chains but then, I have always been very flexible for my guests and their comfort so I get it. I rarely get a cancel either. Right now the rez I took this morning is hoping the saturday rez I took yesterday cancels because he wants ALL rooms for 2 nights. He and I are both going to lose that one. (2 nights revenue instead of 1 - sigh!)
Most biz guests won't accept a long cancellation period. If a place offers flexible cancellation for them, then that would fly.
Here's the thing: If you're so busy that you're turning away guests, than why would you have a cancellation time frame that is lengthy? You should be able to fill your rooms on a moment's notice. I think innkeepers that hold out on this will lose a segment of the traveling public that they want to convert - the higher end hotel crowd. Just my 2 cents after listening to rants from plenty of friends that travel a lot and will never stay at B&Bs because of their cancellation policies for leisure travelers. I guess if it's working for folks and their occupancy is consistently way up there, that's great. More flak will come my way, I'm sure. haha! :)

Most biz guests won't accept a long cancellation period. If a place offers flexible cancellation for them, then that would fly.
Here's the thing: If you're so busy that you're turning away guests, than why would you have a cancellation time frame that is lengthy? You should be able to fill your rooms on a moment's notice. I think innkeepers that hold out on this will lose a segment of the traveling public that they want to convert - the higher end hotel crowd. Just my 2 cents after listening to rants from plenty of friends that travel a lot and will never stay at B&Bs because of their cancellation policies for leisure travelers. I guess if it's working for folks and their occupancy is consistently way up there, that's great. More flak will come my way, I'm sure. haha! :)
Again, it really depends on your location. If you're not in a city or metro area, cancellations can kill you. Our reservations are not usually last minute. People plan for their trips here. If someone cancels even within a few days, I will not typically be able to fill that room again even though we have have a high occupancy rate. People who come to my area in peak season plan their trips in advance. If they didn't, they very often wouldn't be able to get any room last minute. When you're off the beaten track, you depend on your website for reservations, not drive bys or referrals.
We don't have biz travelers, but if I were in a city, I would have a biz rate with a biz cancellation.

GRRR that man who was the late/non check in asked my dad if he could leave his stuff in his room and properly check out at 11 (this is our normal check out time) so we were happy to do so. Chamber maid came to me at 12.30 to say his stuff was still in his room. I had to change the room allocation for arriving guests. You know when her waltsed back? 2.30!!! He comes with a group and all the rest are fine but he has stayed 3 times before so he knows our policies and that we have to wait up or need the rooms back. what a complete
angry_smile.gif

Again, it really depends on your location. If you're not in a city or metro area, cancellations can kill you. Our reservations are not usually last minute. People plan for their trips here. If someone cancels even within a few days, I will not typically be able to fill that room again even though we have have a high occupancy rate. People who come to my area in peak season plan their trips in advance. If they didn't, they very often wouldn't be able to get any room last minute. When you're off the beaten track, you depend on your website for reservations, not drive bys or referrals.
We don't have biz travelers, but if I were in a city, I would have a biz rate with a biz cancellation.
Breakfast Diva said:
Again, it really depends on your location. If you're not in a city or metro area, cancellations can kill you. Our reservations are not usually last minute. People plan for their trips here. If someone cancels even within a few days, I will not typically be able to fill that room again even though we have have a high occupancy rate.
Breakfast Diva, you're totally right that much depends on the location. For a remote inn, last minute bookings may not be convenient in and of themselves if the innkeeper can't get out to buy food/supplies. There are lots of reasons that remote inns may have different requirements.
But even though there may be good reasons for a longer cancellation policy and even though it would mean that you would occasionally get a cancellation you couldn't rebook, I still think most inns would benefit from a 3-day cancellation policy. Shorter if possible.
Some guests just won't book if the cancellation policy is restrictive. By not getting all the guests you could, you're restricting demand. While there are some limits as to how far rates can be raised in a given area, even a small increase can help the bottom line significantly.
I'm not saying all inns should do this. Again, some remote inns have good reasons for their policies.
But most inns would, over time, make more money with a shorter cancellation policy than with a lengthy one.

Breakfast Diva said:
Again, it really depends on your location. If you're not in a city or metro area, cancellations can kill you. Our reservations are not usually last minute. People plan for their trips here. If someone cancels even within a few days, I will not typically be able to fill that room again even though we have have a high occupancy rate.
Breakfast Diva, you're totally right that much depends on the location. For a remote inn, last minute bookings may not be convenient in and of themselves if the innkeeper can't get out to buy food/supplies. There are lots of reasons that remote inns may have different requirements.
But even though there may be good reasons for a longer cancellation policy and even though it would mean that you would occasionally get a cancellation you couldn't rebook, I still think most inns would benefit from a 3-day cancellation policy. Shorter if possible.
Some guests just won't book if the cancellation policy is restrictive. By not getting all the guests you could, you're restricting demand. While there are some limits as to how far rates can be raised in a given area, even a small increase can help the bottom line significantly.
I'm not saying all inns should do this. Again, some remote inns have good reasons for their policies.
But most inns would, over time, make more money with a shorter cancellation policy than with a lengthy one.
We have a one week cancellation policy and we get about 100 cancellations a year. They are all over the place...immediately after booking, a few days later, exactly at 7 days out, the day of, etc.
We don't have fewer cancels now that we're at 7 days instead of 14. I don't think we have more bookings, either. If I've held rooms for a year, getting a cancel at 7 days means it's not getting filled. Maybe at 30 days I could fill it, but not 7.
It's just not that easy to fill those rooms that late in the week. Policies around here run from 3 days to 7 days. Of the 14 cancels this year I have filled one room night. I don't think having a 2 day cancel would get me more bookings that wouldn't subsequently cancel at day 3.
This is the sort of place (this area) where guests book multiple lodgings and then cancel when their plans firm up. 'Oh, we really want to spend ALL of our days in this other town.' Or, they book whatever is open and then keep working the front desk at the place they really want to stay.
Which is why I keep leaning toward a fee or a deposit that makes them take the rez seriously.
As with everything else, it really depends on the type of traveler, why they are coming and whether or not they've really thought the whole thing out. Parents book multiple venues for grad, weddings, camp, etc and then narrow it down based on a family vote or something!

No matter what, the room rate needs to be match the amenities and location of the inn.
What does the establishment have on offer to expect guests to pay their going rate? Does the B&B have an atmosphere cohesive for those rates or is it just a room?
We sometimes cringe when we see $79 a night and realize that is what it is where they are. When we looked at buying in the White Mountains of NH we were appalled at the room rates, I mean unless it was 5 star you had so much competition the rates were low. Yet at the same time many there rent out their own rooms and when the peak season hits it hits!.
A bit disheartening to read you "cringe" at a $79 rate. Our rates could be more competitive with the area and I could charge $120/night, but I would not get the same amount of business. April 2010 was one of my busiest months in th 58 months I have been open and my average nightly rate was $77. Many guests have written very positive reviews on trip advisor and as I have mentioned I have been blessed with gifts, friendship and more than money can buy. The only reason I had 3 days in a row off in April was because of a volcano in Iceland and my guests from Germany could not come. Thank goodness many b&b goers are able to afford to stay in a welcoming home in a tough economy when everyone is watching the wallet.

We sometimes cringe when we see $79 a night and realize that is what it is where they are. When we looked at buying in the White Mountains of NH we were appalled at the room rates, I mean unless it was 5 star you had so much competition the rates were low. Yet at the same time many there rent out their own rooms and when the peak season hits it hits!.
A bit disheartening to read you "cringe" at a $79 rate. Our rates could be more competitive with the area and I could charge $120/night, but I would not get the same amount of business. April 2010 was one of my busiest months in th 58 months I have been open and my average nightly rate was $77. Many guests have written very positive reviews on trip advisor and as I have mentioned I have been blessed with gifts, friendship and more than money can buy. The only reason I had 3 days in a row off in April was because of a volcano in Iceland and my guests from Germany could not come. Thank goodness many b&b goers are able to afford to stay in a welcoming home in a tough economy when everyone is watching the wallet.
Don't take the rate comment to heart. It all depends on where you live what is the appropriate rate.
If your rates bring you the business you want, then those are good rates for you. If you start feeling worn out, raise your rates enough to cut back on the work but keep the same money coming in.
For what we offer here, if I priced at $79 everyone would go elsewhere. They would think, 'What's wrong with that place?' because the going B&B rate around here is much higher. But that's here. And a $79 rate in April wouldn't get me any more business, either!
It's all a matter of pricing for where you are no matter where that is. You could take the same B&B and plop it down in 5 different locations with rates from $50-$450/night. (Just watch that show 'What you get for the money' for examples!)

I would not "cringe" at a $79 rate, but I do wonder why you are willing to do an average rate of $77 per night if you could charge more? My expenses have gone up since I opened in 1996 and I have creeped my rates up a few dollars a year to keep up with it. I want to be paid commensurately for what I offer and what I do. I remember just a couple yeras ago saying - I could never get over $100 per night here. I am now getting $129 per for my room with private bath. And I am going to take some measurements to see if I can fit a queen into the rooms with doubles. If I can, those rooms will be seeing a rate increase as will the room with private bath - because if I make the move with one room, a king will be coming in.
Please, I am not criticizing, just pointing out that if you CAN charge more, you should. Raise the rates by just $5 and see if your bookings go down. You may find they do not change at all. Make the change during the busy season - now. You are worth more. I am in Podunk and I was charging $77 per about 10 years ago.
I know it is a tough economy, but it is tough for you also. I have 5 room nights coming this weekend - all at full rate. No one asked for a discount. I have a lady coming on June 1 for 2 nights during the week who sounded like she really wanted a room with 2 beds because the kid is coming with (a teen) so I offered her my Easter Egg Hunt Special - she will choose an egg on arrival to see what her discount will be. This is 2 rooms for 2 nights during the week. I am helping her economy - but during a time when I would normally be empty. Had it just been no kid, there would not have been any mention of a discount.

I would not "cringe" at a $79 rate, but I do wonder why you are willing to do an average rate of $77 per night if you could charge more? My expenses have gone up since I opened in 1996 and I have creeped my rates up a few dollars a year to keep up with it. I want to be paid commensurately for what I offer and what I do. I remember just a couple yeras ago saying - I could never get over $100 per night here. I am now getting $129 per for my room with private bath. And I am going to take some measurements to see if I can fit a queen into the rooms with doubles. If I can, those rooms will be seeing a rate increase as will the room with private bath - because if I make the move with one room, a king will be coming in.
Please, I am not criticizing, just pointing out that if you CAN charge more, you should. Raise the rates by just $5 and see if your bookings go down. You may find they do not change at all. Make the change during the busy season - now. You are worth more. I am in Podunk and I was charging $77 per about 10 years ago.
I know it is a tough economy, but it is tough for you also. I have 5 room nights coming this weekend - all at full rate. No one asked for a discount. I have a lady coming on June 1 for 2 nights during the week who sounded like she really wanted a room with 2 beds because the kid is coming with (a teen) so I offered her my Easter Egg Hunt Special - she will choose an egg on arrival to see what her discount will be. This is 2 rooms for 2 nights during the week. I am helping her economy - but during a time when I would normally be empty. Had it just been no kid, there would not have been any mention of a discount.
gillumhouse said:
I offered her my Easter Egg Hunt Special - she will choose an egg on arrival to see what her discount will be. This is 2 rooms for 2 nights during the week. I am helping her economy - but during a time when I would normally be empty. Had it just been no kid, there would not have been any mention of a discount.
What a fabulous special!

Back