Strike in France causing me problems

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They arrived late last night and are very pleasant. I had already put the charge through before I got the call that they were delayed. I left the receipt on their bureau showing the full amount. If they ask for a refund I will offer them half off but I am not going to bring it up first.

should be covered in their travel insurance so I wouldn't bend if they have it as they can claim it back. no one loses that way..
I would work with them. They cannot help their situation, and after having priced travel insurance here before planning a trip to New Orleans, I would never buy it. The cost at least here in the US is hugely expensive. Plus, if their children are going to boarding school, you make for good future guests as they will be coming back. And word gets out as parents talk to each other about where to stay
RIki
Plus, if their children are going to boarding school, you make for good future guests as they will be coming back. And word gets out as parents talk to each other about where to stay
Ahem. Excuse me, but if they can afford to pay to put their kid in boarding school in the US I really do not think the cost of one night at a B & B is going to be enough of a deal breaker to matter. I do get rather tired of innkeepers being expected to be the loser by people who probably have more money than we do. Perhaps that is WHY they have more money than we do - they expect everyone else to take the loss?
I will be interested to hear if they even asked about a refund/discount.etc.

should be covered in their travel insurance so I wouldn't bend if they have it as they can claim it back. no one loses that way..
I would work with them. They cannot help their situation, and after having priced travel insurance here before planning a trip to New Orleans, I would never buy it. The cost at least here in the US is hugely expensive. Plus, if their children are going to boarding school, you make for good future guests as they will be coming back. And word gets out as parents talk to each other about where to stay
RIki
Plus, if their children are going to boarding school, you make for good future guests as they will be coming back. And word gets out as parents talk to each other about where to stay
Ahem. Excuse me, but if they can afford to pay to put their kid in boarding school in the US I really do not think the cost of one night at a B & B is going to be enough of a deal breaker to matter. I do get rather tired of innkeepers being expected to be the loser by people who probably have more money than we do. Perhaps that is WHY they have more money than we do - they expect everyone else to take the loss?
gillumhouse said:
Not always. I grew up in Europe because my dad worked at the embassy. The USA does not recognize foreign schools for US citizens. We had to go to boarding school to get the proper credits to go to college. Boarding schools cost as much as out of state university tuition. My grandparents put us through boarding school as my dad made good money but not that good. My parents were very grateful for any assistance the schools gave them in their financially hard situation.
Riki

Okay I am totally offended that am u -zon put this on the side bar for me!! Sheesh just call me a hick whydontchya am u- zon Click here
shades_smile.gif

Although I did clik on the poetry for young peop le by ma ya angel ou. I never click but they both caught my eye!

RIki
gillumhouse said:
Not always. I grew up in Europe because my dad worked at the embassy. The USA does not recognize foreign schools for US citizens. We had to go to boarding school to get the proper credits to go to college. Boarding schools cost as much as out of state university tuition. My grandparents put us through boarding school as my dad made good money but not that good. My parents were very grateful for any assistance the schools gave them in their financially hard situation.
Riki
There are always exceptions, Riki. We had a minister who went to boarding school in Belgium while his parents were missionaries in Kenya and the Congo. I was speaking in generalities.

Okay I am totally offended that am u -zon put this on the side bar for me!! Sheesh just call me a hick whydontchya am u- zon Click here
shades_smile.gif

Although I did clik on the poetry for young peop le by ma ya angel ou. I never click but they both caught my eye!.
Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about - I have it too. Geesh!!!!

RIki
There are also other reasons that parents send their children to boarding school. It's not always because they have a lot of money and just want to send them away to school.

RIki
There are also other reasons that parents send their children to boarding school. It's not always because they have a lot of money and just want to send them away to school.
I was not implying the reason was to get rid of the kids. Sorry I touched such a nerve with others. I was referring to a generalization that boarding school is anything except inexpensive. I am still quite tired of everyone expecting the innkeeper to take the hit financially - in the name of goodwill for the future? There is no guarantee it will mean squat in the future. There is no guarantee that other than bringing the kid to school, that parent will ever return or to that inn. My bills need paid NOW. If I have given good service I figure they will return - if there is some reason they did not like us, they will go elsewhere no matter what I did regarding a night they no-showed that I had no control over. We do not control the weather either but the general opinion is to charge. Why should our policies differ regarding cancels/no shows on a case by case when hotels do not give a rip but charge. They have even less to lose than we do. We are not hotels so everyone expects to take advantage of us.

O.K. here's the lowdown. These are VERY wealthy foreign families who send their children to this boarding school. Many U.S. families get financial aid but the school relies on foreign students because they pay full price. One third of the students at this school are international and they usually come for 1 year.
As for my guest, she did ask for the refund and I did give it to her. They are staying for 6 nights and they are wonderful. Their daughter will be at the school for 1 year only so I will probably not see them again but it felt right to give them the credit. Did it hurt? You bet! But in the big picture (karma) it will come back to me I'm sure.
As a personal note, we sent our children to a different boarding school, as day students. We are certainly not wealthy, but we put all our money into educating our children. It was the best financial decision we ever made. Our children are loving, caring, appreciative, and responsible adults. They all went to great colleges and are almost all on their own now financially (except for our youngest who will graduate from UVA in Dec.). Boarding schools are very misunderstood and vary considerably. Financial aid is need based and most U.S. students receive some form of financial aid for some period of time, many times in the form of loans. There are children of billionaires and children with parents living in shelters sharing the same dorm rooms. Education is a great equalizer.

We have many boarding schools in this state. We know families who work two jobs to send these kids to these schools, they make huge sacrifices. It is the same as college, you all know the drill.

O.K. here's the lowdown. These are VERY wealthy foreign families who send their children to this boarding school. Many U.S. families get financial aid but the school relies on foreign students because they pay full price. One third of the students at this school are international and they usually come for 1 year.
As for my guest, she did ask for the refund and I did give it to her. They are staying for 6 nights and they are wonderful. Their daughter will be at the school for 1 year only so I will probably not see them again but it felt right to give them the credit. Did it hurt? You bet! But in the big picture (karma) it will come back to me I'm sure.
As a personal note, we sent our children to a different boarding school, as day students. We are certainly not wealthy, but we put all our money into educating our children. It was the best financial decision we ever made. Our children are loving, caring, appreciative, and responsible adults. They all went to great colleges and are almost all on their own now financially (except for our youngest who will graduate from UVA in Dec.). Boarding schools are very misunderstood and vary considerably. Financial aid is need based and most U.S. students receive some form of financial aid for some period of time, many times in the form of loans. There are children of billionaires and children with parents living in shelters sharing the same dorm rooms. Education is a great equalizer..
I agree that you'll probably reap some karmic benefit. :) The bottom line is that you did what felt right for YOU!

Back