Strike in France causing me problems

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
This is one of my busiest weeks of the year with students from around the world arriving at our local boarding school. This morning I received a call from a guest who was due to arrive today from Spain that they are stuck in France due to the workers strike going on. They hope to arrive tomorrow. I have another family coming from Spain tomorrow as well and am anticipating they may have the same problem. While I feel for them and their frustration I don't think I should give them a credit, especially because I could've booked all my rooms 100 times over. One family is here for 6 nights, the other for 3. What would you do?

Sorry to hear that. I have no idea what I would do, probably bend.

should be covered in their travel insurance so I wouldn't bend if they have it as they can claim it back. no one loses that way.

Oh, come on. Not bending on this is like having your guests get in a terrible car accident and telling them "Tough noogies".

should be covered in their travel insurance so I wouldn't bend if they have it as they can claim it back. no one loses that way..
I would work with them. They cannot help their situation, and after having priced travel insurance here before planning a trip to New Orleans, I would never buy it. The cost at least here in the US is hugely expensive. Plus, if their children are going to boarding school, you make for good future guests as they will be coming back. And word gets out as parents talk to each other about where to stay
RIki

If you can afford to be a charity, then bend. If you are trying to run a business, then charge them.
As the previous post indicated, they had the option to purchase travel insurance. And Little Blue, this is not exactly a terrible car accident. They were delayed. Sh*t happens, but so do our bills.
IF they will be coming at a later date, charge them now for the lost booking and offer them a discount for the later visit if it will make you feel better.

Don't know what it is like in USA but in the UK for $60 you can get a years worth and that covers you whether you travel in the same country you live as well as abroad. For the cost it is a bargain just one hotel cancellation would more than cover it.

Don't know what it is like in USA but in the UK for $60 you can get a years worth and that covers you whether you travel in the same country you live as well as abroad. For the cost it is a bargain just one hotel cancellation would more than cover it..
Don't know what it is like in USA but in the UK for $60 you can get a years worth and that covers you whether you travel in the same country you live as well as abroad. For the cost it is a bargain just one hotel cancellation would more than cover it.
When I checked to cover our tickets to New Orleans it was far more than that just to insure the one trip.
RIki

Don't know what it is like in USA but in the UK for $60 you can get a years worth and that covers you whether you travel in the same country you live as well as abroad. For the cost it is a bargain just one hotel cancellation would more than cover it..
When I checked to cover our tickets to New Orleans it was far more than that just to insure the one trip.
RIki
that is way harsh!

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
It's the cost of traveling. If you can't afford it, stay home.
It is not the responsibility of an innkeeper to finance the problems of the world traveler. To travel overseas WITHOUT travel insurance is irresponsible.

I think that I might bend as well. I was in France during a rail strike. It was NOT pretty! I think you might garner some goodwill with these potential repeat guests.

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
It is not the responsibility of an innkeeper to finance the problems of the world traveler. To travel overseas WITHOUT travel insurance is irresponsible.
I'm looney about it because my cousin is married to a greek lady and after their son first son was born they took him to greece to see his grandpa however it then turned out he had cystic fibrosis (note they did not have travel insurance) because of the EU we get free health care all over europe but it doesn't always cover things like food etc and doesn't in Greece. He took really sick because of the altitude changes on the plane and they rushed him into hospital where he was diagnosed. HOwever it cost $20,000 to get them home as they had to have a special plane and doctors and nurses and stuff. They never thought about it because of the free healthcare stuff but it doesn't cover you to get home and that is what you truly just want to be home.

I think that I might bend as well. I was in France during a rail strike. It was NOT pretty! I think you might garner some goodwill with these potential repeat guests..
Samster said:
I think that I might bend as well. I was in France during a rail strike. It was NOT pretty! I think you might garner some goodwill with these potential repeat guests.
Do they not know where they are traveling? Don't they know that there are strikes?

I think that I might bend as well. I was in France during a rail strike. It was NOT pretty! I think you might garner some goodwill with these potential repeat guests..
Samster said:
Do they not know where they are traveling? Don't they know that there are strikes?
I certainly didn't know at the time that we might be susceptible to a rail strike. It wasn't on my radar and I hadn't read about strikes anywhere. Travel insurance wasn't in the cards then as it was more than the airfare, as I recall. We aren't made of money.....
I think innkeepers have to decide what works for their business. I didn't have many cancellations here at all but I did tend to be more lenient. It might have had to do with the bulk of our guests who were here either for business or to visit deploying soldiers.

Samster said:
Proud Texan said:
Samster said:
I would hazard a guess that when they booked in advance to travel from Spain to the US (I usually book in advance to get a good rate) they would not have been able to predict there would be a rail strike in their future in France.
RIki

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Umm travel insurance is about the same cost as the ticket. I've lived and traveled overseas for years without it. It is hugely overpriced here in the US. I was only checking into it as we were traveling during hurricane season but the rate was an insult.
Riki

i guess i would decide what i could reasonably offer by way of future stay credit ... and be ready with that answer, in anticipation of international travel, i'd have made my plans and reservations months ago ... years ago we had some sudden us ariline strike, i don't recall the details. had family members all set to take a cruise but they could not get to new york in time to catch their boat. so sad! i don't know if they had trip insurance. but it didn't help the distress and broken plans during that school vacation.
with the trip to coincide with school year starting, no way to know this would happen. the travellers had no choice pt. but i believe the strikers planned the timing of their strike to have a real impact. (i know nothing of the issues about the strike.)
have they asked you for credit and/or refund ?

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Umm travel insurance is about the same cost as the ticket. I've lived and traveled overseas for years without it. It is hugely overpriced here in the US. I was only checking into it as we were traveling during hurricane season but the rate was an insult.
Riki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Riki
Bottom line. When you travel you need to be flexible and sometimes your arrangements have to be changed. You take a gamble.
When we travel, our first night is usually in a hotel/motel. That way we can cancel if need be at the last minute.
We usually reserve B&Bs for the more predictable leg of the journey.

trouble is in France they do tend to strike on a regular basis and it does cause a nightmare generally therefore the French especially should be more organised as they are used to it.

Ugh, sorry to hear this is happening to you. It's lose/lose. They really can't help it so you will look like the bad guy if you aren't flexible, and then if you are flexible you lose the $$$.
I agree they should have had trip insurance. Whenever we've traveled anywhere out of the country we've purchased it, I haven't found it to be that expensive...it's a small percentage of the overall trip price. Luckily we've never had to use it.
How did you end up handling it?

Back