Students learn hotel biz at campus-owned inn - INN the news 01.02.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Students learn hotel biz at campus-owned inn[/FONT]
Belleville News Democrat - IL, USA
The Ag Foundation, a donor group that supports the school's College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, purchased the bed-and-breakfast from the ...

I think this is a splendid idea! This is what PAII could do, buy a B&B and let aspirings in to train and learn these things!
wink_smile.gif

excerpt:
[COLOR= rgb(39, 38, 39)]"From an educational standpoint, when students see things done here, they're seeing them done correctly," he said. "And from a (university) extension standpoint, if other people are thinking about starting a bed-and-breakfast, they can come stay here and see how to do it correctly."[/COLOR]
PS Wonder who the master innkeeper is? I like that attitude tho, DO IT CORRECTLY. For some reason in our business we like to be fair and say "Whatever works for you" and in many instances I agree with this, after all it is YOUR business not mine, to each his own and all that. But across the board there should be a standard for B&B's and how they operate. Otherwise we would not be hearing so many horror stories.
Here is an interesting one - I have had guests tell me of lovely B&B's that were in horrific areas. Of course they had no idea until they got there, pawn shops on either side, bars on the windows etc. I am wondering if this is something that would exclude them from a state assoc? I mean they are looking out for the health and safety of guests with bars on the windows and a security system, right? UGH
Back to the original thought, I like it. "DO IT CORRECTLY"

Yeah! EXCELLENT!!! Glad to see that especially since Extension and Ag College are involved in it. Dear to my heart ;-)
My alma mater "West Liberty" WV, turned the president's old home into a B & B. The hospitality management students run it and get their work experience there. I was glad to see that happen.
Too bad they didn't put a link to the place in the story.

Yeah! EXCELLENT!!! Glad to see that especially since Extension and Ag College are involved in it. Dear to my heart ;-)
My alma mater "West Liberty" WV, turned the president's old home into a B & B. The hospitality management students run it and get their work experience there. I was glad to see that happen.
Too bad they didn't put a link to the place in the story..
catlady said:
Yes, indeed a link - they never put them in, what is the deal with these articles! A very nice place.
Funny the name of the B&B and the porch has no "Gathering" furniture on it. (Sorry just my first observation)

My son did this at Paul Smiths College. They run the Hotel Saranac.
We are looking at getting something like this going here in the area, not necessarily right in town here, but the general vicinity of the state.

excerpt:
[COLOR= rgb(39, 38, 39)]"From an educational standpoint, when students see things done here, they're seeing them done correctly," he said. "And from a (university) extension standpoint, if other people are thinking about starting a bed-and-breakfast, they can come stay here and see how to do it correctly."[/COLOR]
PS Wonder who the master innkeeper is? I like that attitude tho, DO IT CORRECTLY. For some reason in our business we like to be fair and say "Whatever works for you" and in many instances I agree with this, after all it is YOUR business not mine, to each his own and all that. But across the board there should be a standard for B&B's and how they operate. Otherwise we would not be hearing so many horror stories.
Here is an interesting one - I have had guests tell me of lovely B&B's that were in horrific areas. Of course they had no idea until they got there, pawn shops on either side, bars on the windows etc. I am wondering if this is something that would exclude them from a state assoc? I mean they are looking out for the health and safety of guests with bars on the windows and a security system, right? UGH
Back to the original thought, I like it. "DO IT CORRECTLY".
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Ever stay in Savannah? Barred windows everywhere in that city, including some of the B&B's.

excerpt:
Back to the original thought, I like it. "DO IT CORRECTLY".
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Ever stay in Savannah? Barred windows everywhere in that city, including some of the B&B's.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Tis true.

We actually have 2 institutions of higher learning with hospitality programs that have a B & B operated by the program. the alumni at West Liberty State University bought the former President's house to use for their program and Davis & Elkins College operates Graceland as a B & B and Conference Center.
West Liberty alumni had owned the house and were renovating it for at least 5 years while struggling with the Fire Marshal's office to no avail. When MABB was fighting for the Fire Codes, the Alumni Director came to the Capitol (they were MABB members all that time) to one of our Judiciary Committee meetings with the Fire Marshal and I was able to point out how the Fire Codes were impacting the (then) college. It was only at that point that the Fire Marshal said to the Alum Dir. call _______ and he will work with you. In less than a year they were finally open. Yea MABB!! That is the kind of thing your State Association should be doing for its members.

catlady said:
Yes, indeed a link - they never put them in, what is the deal with these articles! A very nice place.
Funny the name of the B&B and the porch has no "Gathering" furniture on it. (Sorry just my first observation)
maybe they don't want guests gathering on the porch. and it's a beauty!

We actually have 2 institutions of higher learning with hospitality programs that have a B & B operated by the program. the alumni at West Liberty State University bought the former President's house to use for their program and Davis & Elkins College operates Graceland as a B & B and Conference Center.
West Liberty alumni had owned the house and were renovating it for at least 5 years while struggling with the Fire Marshal's office to no avail. When MABB was fighting for the Fire Codes, the Alumni Director came to the Capitol (they were MABB members all that time) to one of our Judiciary Committee meetings with the Fire Marshal and I was able to point out how the Fire Codes were impacting the (then) college. It was only at that point that the Fire Marshal said to the Alum Dir. call _______ and he will work with you. In less than a year they were finally open. Yea MABB!! That is the kind of thing your State Association should be doing for its members..
Yes, I commented about it in my post:) My alma mater:) I did see they were MABB members..that is a good thing. Now if someone will only tell them to get a decent web site..gheez...you would think some of those kids would do web design. They use WORD to create their site...ugh!!

West Liberty alumni had owned the house and were renovating it for at least 5 years while struggling with the Fire Marshal's office to no avail. When MABB was fighting for the Fire Codes, the Alumni Director came to the Capitol (they were MABB members all that time) to one of our Judiciary Committee meetings with the Fire Marshal and I was able to point out how the Fire Codes were impacting the (then) college. It was only at that point that the Fire Marshal said to the Alum Dir. call _______ and he will work with you. In less than a year they were finally open. Yea MABB!! That is the kind of thing your State Association should be doing for its members..
Yes, I commented about it in my post:) My alma mater:) I did see they were MABB members..that is a good thing. Now if someone will only tell them to get a decent web site..gheez...you would think some of those kids would do web design. They use WORD to create their site...ugh!!
They scanned their rack card. I think that is a new domain. This is probably just a place holder until they can get a "real" design. Maybe an alum will volunteer to do one for them. Ron Witt is in charge of Liberty Oaks - at least the person I work with. They were MABB members at least 5 years before they were able to get open. They even asked me to be a guest lecturer a couple years ago - they even asked what the stipend would be and I told them it came with MABB membership but some gas would be appreciated but not necessary (they gave me a gas card which WAS appreciated).

They scanned their rack card. I think that is a new domain. This is probably just a place holder until they can get a "real" design. Maybe an alum will volunteer to do one for them. Ron Witt is in charge of Liberty Oaks - at least the person I work with. They were MABB members at least 5 years before they were able to get open. They even asked me to be a guest lecturer a couple years ago - they even asked what the stipend would be and I told them it came with MABB membership but some gas would be appreciated but not necessary (they gave me a gas card which WAS appreciated).
Hmmm some alum huh????
cheers.gif

Hmmm some alum huh????
cheers.gif

They are moving on up to the big time. Until recently, they were just another button on the WLSC site (now WLSU).

Hmmm some alum huh????
cheers.gif

They are moving on up to the big time. Until recently, they were just another button on the WLSC site (now WLSU).
Oh they FINALLY got University status??? Guess I haven't gotten an alumni newsletter yet to announce that. Great!

Hmmm some alum huh????
cheers.gif

Oh they FINALLY got University status??? Guess I haven't gotten an alumni newsletter yet to announce that. Great!
As of 2009

I took the WV aspiring innkeepers workshop from our friend, Kathleen of the Gillum House, along with West Liberty staff - great workshop, by the way, and lovely people!

I took the WV aspiring innkeepers workshop from our friend, Kathleen of the Gillum House, along with West Liberty staff - great workshop, by the way, and lovely people!
Thank you. MABB is sponsoring one March 8 in Flatwoods and I am going to be the trainer (not sure what I would be called -= facilitator? trainer?)

Back