Stuff yourself with a 2 night min

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Well I stuffed us up with a 2 night min this weekend, which is a local college graduation, bass tournie, sailing regatta and other things.
We are not a 2 night min location for 95% of the year.
I had it on as 2 night min, and had people pleading with us for just one night, and I turned them all away. So now we have three rooms booked and three rooms open! I have it so I can accept any online rez all day today FOR today, so hopefully we will pick up a couple more.
This is what new or aspiring innkeepers don't get, we are NOT a destination B&B, "if you build it they will come" does not apply to many of us. We have to work dang hard to fill rooms, and so I stuffed us up. I opened it up for one night last Sunday for this weekend, and so far nuttin'!
At least we have the three two-nighters here. So it was effective for that. You know the saying work smarter not harder? I love that saying, but bills still need to be paid, and April sucked big time!

We go thru this every stinkin' year. Do we, don't we? When do we open the rooms up for one nighters? But, they start in Jan asking for one night stays on very popular weekends. No can do.
We've done ourselves in by not getting the 2-night min out there fast enough. One guy booked 2 rooms for 1 night last year and we then had the hardest time booking those 2 rooms for the rest of the weekend. We finally did but it was so much more work. 2 rooms with 3 nights of 1 nighters. Ugh.
But, we've done the same thing- held onto the 2-night min for too long. I've got a 2-night min on a holiday weekend that rarely gets 2-nighters. But, it's a holiday and I want SOME semblance of family time!

We go thru this every stinkin' year. Do we, don't we? When do we open the rooms up for one nighters? But, they start in Jan asking for one night stays on very popular weekends. No can do.
We've done ourselves in by not getting the 2-night min out there fast enough. One guy booked 2 rooms for 1 night last year and we then had the hardest time booking those 2 rooms for the rest of the weekend. We finally did but it was so much more work. 2 rooms with 3 nights of 1 nighters. Ugh.
But, we've done the same thing- held onto the 2-night min for too long. I've got a 2-night min on a holiday weekend that rarely gets 2-nighters. But, it's a holiday and I want SOME semblance of family time!.
Agreed! Graduation weekends folks book way in advance, and they all want only one night, even those driving 500 miles for the graduation. Now closer to the date the plans are all firmed up. But I can't have a one night on a graduation weekend, I can't! But now I do...

While I usually have the two day minimums, I do know where you are coming from for precisely those days where we have three days or more minimums. In particular the Grand Prix. This year they mixed it with the graduation from one of the universities and so I don't have the weekend, just Sat/Sun and it's proving a harder sell.

And then I get the caller this morning who wants 3 rooms for 3 nights for next year, so why would I call off my 2-night min for that weekend at ANY point up to the week before?

But, we've done the same thing- held onto the 2-night min for too long. I've got a 2-night min on a holiday weekend that rarely gets 2-nighters. But, it's a holiday and I want SOME semblance of family time!.
We have a 2-night minimum on our website with a 3-night minimum during high season. I will take a one-night reservation off-season mid-week and will do a one-night stay on a weekend if the call comes in on the Thursday before and we still have vacancy. But, we are in a destination location...not in the boonies, and so having higher minimum stays works to fill us as much as needed. When we started out, with that BIG mortgage and all the expenses, we gladly booked one-night stays....now that we are established and the big bills are paid, I am not interested in working to change over every room every day.

Agreed! Graduation weekends folks book way in advance, and they all want only one night, even those driving 500 miles for the graduation. Now closer to the date the plans are all firmed up. But I can't have a one night on a graduation weekend, I can't! But now I do...
Years ago I tried to implement a 2-night minimum for Labor Day weekend. A guest who wanted one night asked ME - what if I pay a surcharge for one night. Hmmm. OK. Then I lucked out and got another wanting a one-night for the other night - and they were also offered it at the same surcharge the other room paid.. BUT I only have 3-rooms and that was way back when. Today, I would rather stay empty. Old and lazy.

Joey, you've got 6 room nights on the weekend, with half the amount of work! If you would typically only book that Saturday, then you're already ahead of the game. As it is, you might still fill some single Sat rooms and be ahead of the game.
Of course, it would be wonderful to fill all rooms with the 2 night minimum, but heck, you'll love not having to turn over those rooms on Sat.

I think it very much depends on your location and events profile ie here we have a conference and events center directly opposite us, 3 theatres within walking distance, An army college with various family days/dates, the Yorkshire events center etc and depending on what events are on then I set my nights ie Royal college of nursing starts sunday and has a 5 night minimum so sun,mon,tue,wed,thur, and then I if lucky will get some 2 nights people in friday sat as well as the friday and saturday before that as well however this week comming there is squat on. depending on where you are events may be on a weekend, may be midweek its all about information and knowing what is comming, making sure you know when it is peak and to put the price up and slack put it down.

Joey, you've got 6 room nights on the weekend, with half the amount of work! If you would typically only book that Saturday, then you're already ahead of the game. As it is, you might still fill some single Sat rooms and be ahead of the game.
Of course, it would be wonderful to fill all rooms with the 2 night minimum, but heck, you'll love not having to turn over those rooms on Sat..
Breakfast Diva said:
Of course, it would be wonderful to fill all rooms with the 2 night minimum, but heck, you'll love not having to turn over those rooms on Sat.
Hey knock it off with that glass half full crap!
wink_smile.gif

Of course, it would be wonderful to fill all rooms with the 2 night minimum, but heck, you'll love not having to turn over those rooms on Sat..
Breakfast Diva said:
wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
wink_smile.gif
I know! Doesn't sound like me, does it! LOL

I have been working hard not only to get parents to come for graduation, family weekend, football games, etc. etc. but I have also been cultivating business guests from various departments at the university. It's difficult partly because a different person seems to do the booking in every darned department, and sometimes if a secretary quits the replacement doesn't know that it's OK to stay with me.
I took a hit 18 months ago when the Student Center was remodelled because they redid the 25 overnight rooms there and are now calling it a "hotel". Some departments have been told that if they want the university to pick up the bill, they need to book the Student Center.
This week the paper said that the university plans to build a new 100 room hotel on campus to give their hospitality majors some place to work.
Having said this, I have 3/4 rooms with 2 nighters and 1/4 room with 2 1-nighters for graduation this weekend, that's without making a 2-night minimum.

I have been working hard not only to get parents to come for graduation, family weekend, football games, etc. etc. but I have also been cultivating business guests from various departments at the university. It's difficult partly because a different person seems to do the booking in every darned department, and sometimes if a secretary quits the replacement doesn't know that it's OK to stay with me.
I took a hit 18 months ago when the Student Center was remodelled because they redid the 25 overnight rooms there and are now calling it a "hotel". Some departments have been told that if they want the university to pick up the bill, they need to book the Student Center.
This week the paper said that the university plans to build a new 100 room hotel on campus to give their hospitality majors some place to work.
Having said this, I have 3/4 rooms with 2 nighters and 1/4 room with 2 1-nighters for graduation this weekend, that's without making a 2-night minimum..
My son's college had a hotel for the hospitality students to run. It was fun to stay there. But we only stayed once, for his class project. His school was close enough for us to drive back and forth when we visited.

I hear ya JB and I am right along with ya. I am not in a destination but am close to one but even when the big city is full it is sometimes hard to pull off a 2 night minimum. Case in point last weekend and this one. Big event weekends and I put up a 2 night min., last weekend I had all rooms filled for 3+ nights with a group, no quarms and some added nights.
This weekend, NOTA! I opened it up last weekend to 1 nighters, too late I'm afraid. So a Friday off. Hoping to pick up some business tomorrow from those just passing through.
cry_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
...had people pleading with us for just one night, and I turned them all away...
I guess one could keep a list of those turned away so, if the situation changes, they can be called later to see if they're still interested. Would that be worth the trouble?

Joey Bloggs said:
...had people pleading with us for just one night, and I turned them all away...
I guess one could keep a list of those turned away so, if the situation changes, they can be called later to see if they're still interested. Would that be worth the trouble?.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I guess one could keep a list of those turned away so, if the situation changes, they can be called later to see if they're still interested. Would that be worth the trouble?
Not for graduation weekend. Other events perhaps, but people book these well in advance, which was what I was hoping for, am always hoping for, in fact every year we get stiffed one way or another on this weekend. I made sure I did the 30 day no cancellation for 3 or more rooms, on the ones here currently, who are busy outside smoking.
I did just get a call for "a" room, five people.
poke.gif

No worries. They are having an 8am brekkie, so tomorrow will be okay (after I clean up the mess in the rooms and make all the beds) that is the other thing with graduation weekends, non B&B people, not first time B&B people - that is a different person.

Joey Bloggs said:
I guess one could keep a list of those turned away so, if the situation changes, they can be called later to see if they're still interested. Would that be worth the trouble?.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Not for graduation weekend. Other events perhaps, but people book these well in advance, which was what I was hoping for, am always hoping for, in fact every year we get stiffed one way or another on this weekend. I made sure I did the 30 day no cancellation for 3 or more rooms, on the ones here currently, who are busy outside smoking.
poke.gif

No worries. They are having an 8am brekkie, so tomorrow will be okay (after I clean up the mess in the rooms and make all the beds) that is the other thing with graduation weekends, non B&B people, not first time B&B people - that is a different person.
Could you have charged double for one night and thrown in the second night? Or charge more for that one night and less for the second so that you make more if you book both but you make your money if they take only one? Instead of $100, $150 for one and $50 for the other. So if they take one, they have subsidised the selling of the second night which may be harder to sell. Sell it for anything over the $50 and you have pocket money.

Having said this, I have 3/4 rooms with 2 nighters and 1/4 room with 2 1-nighters for graduation this weekend, that's without making a 2-night minimum..
thats harsh. We've just dodged 2 bullets they were trying to build a 71 bed hotel Travelodge about 10 mins walk from us which planning has just been officially squeltched! was in the paper yesterday and they were going to open a 100 bed Premier inn virtually opposite us which would have a link walkway to the conference center. It was supposed to break ground in September but Whitbread the company building it have dropped their share price like a stone so I don't think they have the money. They were supposed to break ground in September 2011 and there hasn't even been a man with a shovel digging a hole so I am hopefull its been shelved!

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
poke.gif

Definitely a 30 day cancel policy for grad weekend. IF we remember to tell them. Ugh.

thats harsh. We've just dodged 2 bullets they were trying to build a 71 bed hotel Travelodge about 10 mins walk from us which planning has just been officially squeltched! was in the paper yesterday and they were going to open a 100 bed Premier inn virtually opposite us which would have a link walkway to the conference center. It was supposed to break ground in September but Whitbread the company building it have dropped their share price like a stone so I don't think they have the money. They were supposed to break ground in September 2011 and there hasn't even been a man with a shovel digging a hole so I am hopefull its been shelved!
Seems as if once WE do the hard work of "priming the pump" and bringing people to the area, ho tels/mo tels move in to take our guests. My little 3-rooms did not make much difference but well over 1000 hot el rooms have been added since 2000 - another chain hot el opened last year at the exit my guests come in on.

Back