Stupid Alert

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Lawdy, lawdy, lawwwwdy......I hope these people don't book with me, even if it IS only one night! Today I received this e-mail...
Hello,
"I have a question about your availability. We are looking to get away for the weekend of Saturday, May 14 - Monday, May 16. On your availability calendar, it shows that the 14th and 16th are booked for _____ and ____ suites. Does it mean that those days are not availability to book or does it mean that people are checking out and checking in on those days and the days of 14-16 are still availability to reserve?"
Sooo, I sent them back an e-mail explaining with simplicity how the x's on the calendar work....got this response back:
"Just to be clear, breakfast served to us in our room and everything mentioned on the website is still included even if for just one night, correct?
Thanks again,"

Just put me out of my misery now! And it's not even summer yet.
So here's my question. Does "stupid" always equal "PITA"?

Tiresome for you, but think positive. It may be that these people are simply ignorant of the jargon and process of booking online. At least they are asking and not assuming.

Oh, we get so many of these. Honestly, they usually turn out to be very sweet. They want to make sure they are "doing it right" and not messing up. OTOH, sometimes the stupid continues once they arrive and you end up doing a lot of hand holding....but still usually sweet.

cry_smile.gif

Do you think this one will be a PITA???
E-mail today.
1. Will there be any renovations or redecorating done between now and July 31? If so, please describe what materials will be used, e.g. paint, new flooring, new curtains, new furniture.
2. Are you planning any pesticide use indoors between now and July 31?
3. Are there any air fresheners in the rooms, e.g. plug-ins, sprayers, scented candles, or pot pourri?
4. Do you use carpet fresh or other scented cleaners/deodorizers in the room?
5. What cleaners do you use? Would you be willing to use an organic cleaner, e.g. vinegar prior to our arrival?
6. What laundry products do you use? Would you consider washing the linens in baking soda and avoiding fabric softener on the linens prior to our arrival?
7. Could you please remove any scented soaps?
8. Do the windows open?
9. Does the room have its own air supply, e.g. air conditioner/air exchanger separate from other rooms?

She thought we had talked last year but she lost her e-mails. Told her I believe we dod and it was determined I wouild not be a good fit for her. I remember from last year that I was OK with doing a lot of what she asked, but it kept getting more and more and I finally found something (wish I could remember what) that was the deal breaker.

E-mail today.
1. Will there be any renovations or redecorating done between now and July 31? If so, please describe what materials will be used, e.g. paint, new flooring, new curtains, new furniture.
3. Are there any air fresheners in the rooms, e.g. plug-ins, sprayers, scented candles, or pot pourri?
5. What cleaners do you use? Would you be willing to use an organic cleaner, e.g. vinegar prior to our arrival?
6. What laundry products do you use? Would you consider washing the linens in baking soda and avoiding fabric softener on the linens prior to our arrival?
8. Do the windows open?
9. Does the room have its own air supply, e.g. air conditioner/air exchanger separate from other rooms?

She thought we had talked last year but she lost her e-mails. Told her I believe we dod and it was determined I wouild not be a good fit for her. I remember from last year that I was OK with doing a lot of what she asked, but it kept getting more and more and I finally found something (wish I could remember what) that was the deal breaker..
Oh yeah, that whole thing sounded familiar to me! And what was the other thing? Or was that us just being snarky? 'Will there be any chemicals spread in any yards abutting yours?'
I feel for people with allergies, I really do. I always worry someone will have used really scented detergents or fabric softeners on the sheets. But, that's what the inhaler is for. (And I now travel with my own pillow, so I can at least lay my head down without wheezing.)

E-mail today.
8. Do the windows open?

She thought we had talked last year but she lost her e-mails. Told her I believe we dod and it was determined I wouild not be a good fit for her. I remember from last year that I was OK with doing a lot of what she asked, but it kept getting more and more and I finally found something (wish I could remember what) that was the deal breaker..
Oh yeah, that whole thing sounded familiar to me! And what was the other thing? Or was that us just being snarky? 'Will there be any chemicals spread in any yards abutting yours?'
I feel for people with allergies, I really do. I always worry someone will have used really scented detergents or fabric softeners on the sheets. But, that's what the inhaler is for. (And I now travel with my own pillow, so I can at least lay my head down without wheezing.)
It could have been that or maybe it was about emissions from factories - but it was something I was able to say, Oh, thank you for mentioning that because it has totally slipped my mind. We wondered why she did not just get a camper or something and travel with what she needed instead of expecting us to run rings.
BTW - I am going to miss my pillow on this trip. It has its lumps in just the right places for me. Made the mistake of unzipping the pillow protector recently - the pillow casing gave up the ghost a long time ago - the only thing keeping feathers from all over the place is that pillow protector. Going to have to remember to bring another on down to put on it as an extra safety.

E-mail today.
8. Do the windows open?

I remember this one!! Even though we do most of what she wants just in our normal operations, there's still no way I would want her. Those types will ALWAYS find something wrong.

E-mail today.
8. Do the windows open?

Sounds like a nightmare to me. The answers are simple....
1. We cannot predict the need for repairs and what products might be needed for such repairs.
2. We cannot predict the need for insecticide inside or outside of the hosue.
3. Yes, we use air fresheners. Not everyone smells sweetly when they exit the toilet. We also cannot control the usage of perfumes and such by other guests before or during your stays. This is outside of our purview.
4. Yes, we use scented deodorizers. As explained before, some people just aren't unscented.
5. Many organic cleaners do a good job, but some don't. We can try, if you are willing to pay for the products that you recommend.
6. Baking soda is not a viable cleaner for our laundry. It does not actually clean clothing, it simply attracts and removes acids. It is a laundry booster if used with bleach at high temperatures. I can rinse your sheets with vinegar if you so please.
7. Yes. Please bring a supply of unscented soaps for all the other guests as well as us. Four bars will do.
8. Windows open, but if you are allergic to everything, why would you open them? We can't afford a an air filter that would filter the entire outdoors. Bring your own.
9. Of course, we installed a $10,000 air filter just for your room. It doesn't do any of the other rooms, just yours. But if you open the window, it explodes!

E-mail today.
8. Do the windows open?

1. We cannot predict the need for repairs and what products might be needed for such repairs.
3. Yes, we use air fresheners. Not everyone smells sweetly when they exit the toilet. We also cannot control the usage of perfumes and such by other guests before or during your stays. This is outside of our purview.
4. Yes, we use scented deodorizers. As explained before, some people just aren't unscented.
5. Many organic cleaners do a good job, but some don't. We can try, if you are willing to pay for the products that you recommend.
6. Baking soda is not a viable cleaner for our laundry. It does not actually clean clothing, it simply attracts and removes acids. It is a laundry booster if used with bleach at high temperatures. I can rinse your sheets with vinegar if you so please.
7. Yes. Please bring a supply of unscented soaps for all the other guests as well as us. Four bars will do.
8. Windows open, but if you are allergic to everything, why would you open them? We can't afford a an air filter that would filter the entire outdoors. Bring your own.
9. Of course, we installed a $10,000 air filter just for your room. It doesn't do any of the other rooms, just yours. But if you open the window, it explodes!
I think a lot of our replies last year were based around not being able to control the habits of the other guests or the neighbors.

E-mail today.
8. Do the windows open?

I just wonder if she runs around in a gas mask or a sterile zone suit with oxygen. How does she handle getting on an elevator and any other myriad things one does or is subject to. I still think she should just get an RV or a camper for when she travels. I really should have asked if she planned to rent the entire house. PLUS - IF this was the same one from last year, it is for ONE night.

E-mail today.
8. Do the windows open?

gillumhouse said:
E-mail today.
8. Do the windows open?

She thought we had talked last year but she lost her e-mails. Told her I believe we dod and it was determined I wouild not be a good fit for her. I remember from last year that I was OK with doing a lot of what she asked, but it kept getting more and more and I finally found something (wish I could remember what) that was the deal breaker.
My response would be...I'm so sorry but I cannot accommodate your needs....we have a vineyard to spray on a regular basis!!!!
riki

E-mail today.
8. Do the windows open?

I just wonder if she runs around in a gas mask or a sterile zone suit with oxygen. How does she handle getting on an elevator and any other myriad things one does or is subject to. I still think she should just get an RV or a camper for when she travels. I really should have asked if she planned to rent the entire house. PLUS - IF this was the same one from last year, it is for ONE night.
There is a guy I see driving around....
Obvious sun or light sensitive......
Hat with the sun shield down the back, I think he wears a baklava and a cape type mask......like muslem women wear.......sunglasses, gloves........not a speck of skin shows.

Back