Suggested needed for ways to promote Historical District

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyswan

Reaction score
I have a document from the National Register for our town's historical district with includes over 100 properties. I'd like you opinion on how to promote this...
I have tho't about creating a walking tour with pics of each property, attach to google maps, include brief history of each property.... what else?

If there are over 100 properties, I would divide them into categories - Bankers homes or authors homes or whatever historical significance/era they might be and put together walking tours of those particular sites - with a shopr or two mixed in. On my covered bridge tours, one person is soooo excited about the next bridge and the partner is looking for a barf bag so I solve it with tossing in a WV crafts shop between bridges and a stop at the winery before the last bridge. If there are a few financier or bankers homes you could call it the Money Tour or the Buck Stopped Here. Lawyers and politicians - The Circuit Circuit. Throw in a couple restaurants where they can find lunch and a quaint coffee bar or soda shop to quench thirst during the day.... Market it under the umbrella of History Over MYCity (if there is a cemetery call it History Under MyCity)

The National Trust for Historic Preservation has an area with promotional ideas. Also check out gozaic for historical travel. Your State Office of Historic Preservation may also have materials available. Good Luck!

If you have a town historical society that is progressive and active, get them involved. Ours is doing organized walking tours and will have a new map made up this year for DIY'ers.

Technology, baby! If you are just starting this in 2011...create an audio (and maybe video) file to go with print material that can be downloaded to iPods or SmartPhones for walking tours. You can also creat a CD that can be played in autos for a driving tour with a map & info in the case.
I'd work with the local C&VB or historic foundation on this and do some cross promotion via Internet and social media.
We just bought a CD like this from the C&VB of the city our son lives in to do a driving tour of their historic areas as they are spread out. I mentioned it to the Exec Director of our historic foundation who is in her 30's and is more technology savvy than former directors & she thought it was a great idea! (I added the iPod idea from a tour that I did on a trip to the midwest.)
This can be a small revenue source for someone.

We have a walking tour here that you pay a small fee to down load to your phone or ipod don't know how popular it is but it is a good way to go.

Another one of those moments where I am humbled by how good info gets shared on here and how much all of you know.

Another one of those moments where I am humbled by how good info gets shared on here and how much all of you know..
haha...we have you really snowed now!! tee hee hee....
If I personally know anything, it's because of all the sharing that I was lucky enough to receive from my inn-mates and this forum when I was an aspiring and perspiring innkeeper.
regular_smile.gif

Back