Suggestions for a high fiber, low carb, low sugar breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I emailed to ask what this might look like, but I rarely get replies, so what would you make for this guest?

oatmeal? kashi? special k? fiber one cereal?
by low sugar, i hope they mean low 'added' sugar ... so fruit ... especially berries and grapefruit?
poached, boiled or scrambled (in a non stick pan) eggs?
you can offer plain yogurt. i'm not sure of the carbs in that.

When we went to Half-Price Books, just for giggles, I bought a book called The Ev er yth ing L ow-C arb Co okbo ok by Pa tric ia M B utk us. There is a recipe for Corned Beef "Hash" carb level is low - no potatoes in it. There is also homemade breakfast sausage patties, cream cheese and scallion scramble, scrambled eggs w/lox & onions, De nver Scramble, and a zucchini frittata - all marked as low carb level. All look pretty easy to do and none had sugar. The sausge has 2 teaspoons real maple syrup as an optional.

What would I make? A normal plate of food and let the guest pick out what he/she wants to eat off of the plate. Does it say Dietition or private chef someplace on the reservation? People have the nerve, I tell ya.

Most non-starchy veggies abd low-sugar fruits are high in fiber and low-carb. Berries are good for fiber. Broccoli, zucchini, spinach and bell peppers are good in the potential breakfast category. So maybe a berry parfait with no-added-sugar yogurt and a veggie crustless quiche, frittata, omelet or egg scramble would work.

What do they think you are? If they don't respond as to what they can eat..then it isn't your problem.
Scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast!!

Oops, should have been more specific...something that doesn't require Gomez to go out of his way (too far). We could do some veggie omelet thing fairly easily but this is a peak season rez so they will definitely not be the only people here. It has to be something he can make in conjunction with whatever everyone else is eating.

they'll have to act like grownups and enjoy the veggie omelet or scrambles and not touch the yummy sweet waffles that other guests want!
if you ask and a guest tells you they have dietary restrictions, it's appropriate to offer them something they can eat. but i think we've all had guests who said 'no sugar' and then raided the cookie jar, the candy bowl and had junk food wrappers in their waste baskets. i'm not sure if it's because they're fighting with what they're supposed to be doing or if they make (or the SPOUSE) makes a reservation with best intentions and then they say to heck with it, i'm on vacation.

Are these like the diabetics who drink all the sodas here and eat the check-in sweets?
I would like to have a healthy meal too, but I would never tell an innkeeper, sorry no orange marmalade pecan coffee cake (which the table is enjoying right now) and always a huge hit
Recipe here (although I do a few variations) http://inncuisine.com/scrumptious-sides/brighten-your-day-anytime-with-this-recipe-for-orange-marmalade-coffee-cake/.
That's different. That's a side. Not the main course. Anyone can skip the sides. If anyone were to tell me, about the sides, 'I can't eat that,' I wouldn't care (as much). But I would like to feed him something he can eat at least a little bit of before he goes off to have his creamy clam chowder and whoopie pie.

How about Sawdust Pie? No, no kidding! www.buttermilkpress.com/blog/sawdust-pie

Sounds like your computer is sick.........I just tried it again and it worked fine. Try not using the direct link and type it in. Sorry you are having problems with it. Who talks like that (Gnarly, dude) anyway?

Sounds like your computer is sick.........I just tried it again and it worked fine. Try not using the direct link and type it in. Sorry you are having problems with it. Who talks like that (Gnarly, dude) anyway?.
I get the same thing Morticia gets.
ETA: a search of that blog finds no recipe called Sawdust Pie, but sends me off to another website/blog for such a thing. Not sure if it's the same thing.

Sounds like your computer is sick.........I just tried it again and it worked fine. Try not using the direct link and type it in. Sorry you are having problems with it. Who talks like that (Gnarly, dude) anyway?.
I get the same thing Morticia gets.
ETA: a search of that blog finds no recipe called Sawdust Pie, but sends me off to another website/blog for such a thing. Not sure if it's the same thing.
Yes, that's what I got, too- A list of other places I can find the recipe and I don't know if it's the 'right' one. However, what I saw was a lot of sugar, which wouldn't work. But I do love the name!

I got gnarley dude too, but can still search the index. I thought it was cute, fer sure.

Don't know what to say about the link. But if you make the Sawdust Pie use Splenda Granular and not real sugar. Tastes the same.

Back