Suggestions for arguing guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Guests just arrived and they have been arguing ever since they closed the door to their room (half hour now). Right now they are not audible to anyone but us, but if other guests opt to relax in the living room, they'll be loud and clear to them.
Do you give guests a chance to calm down or squash the noise right away?

Do you have any sparkling cider or something "special" you could take to them in their room? The tapping on the door with the "gift" may be just the thing to calm the roiled waters. That is the only thing I can think of other than tapping on the door to inform them they are disturbing others at the inn - they are, YOU!

Do you have any sparkling cider or something "special" you could take to them in their room? The tapping on the door with the "gift" may be just the thing to calm the roiled waters. That is the only thing I can think of other than tapping on the door to inform them they are disturbing others at the inn - they are, YOU!.
As repeat guests, I don't think I want to 'reward' their obnoxiousness and set a precedent for the future! I thought they went out but they started up again later on.
That room needs to be soundproofed anyway.

Do you have any sparkling cider or something "special" you could take to them in their room? The tapping on the door with the "gift" may be just the thing to calm the roiled waters. That is the only thing I can think of other than tapping on the door to inform them they are disturbing others at the inn - they are, YOU!.
As repeat guests, I don't think I want to 'reward' their obnoxiousness and set a precedent for the future! I thought they went out but they started up again later on.
Repeat was not indicated. I was looking for a way to defuse the situation gratiously.

Repeat was not indicated. I was looking for a way to defuse the situation gratiously.
You know, when they came for breakfast this morning and I saw them (they did a self check-in as it was late), I realized they probably were NOT arguing. It's the way she speaks normally. There was a lot of door and drawer slamming, too, but that's her way.
I don't think I'd bring a gift to noisy guests either way, tho. I guess I could have knocked and asked if there was something they needed help with.

You know, when they came for breakfast this morning and I saw them (they did a self check-in as it was late), I realized they probably were NOT arguing. It's the way she speaks normally. There was a lot of door and drawer slamming, too, but that's her way.
I don't think I'd bring a gift to noisy guests either way, tho. I guess I could have knocked and asked if there was something they needed help with.
Time to put this info in your memo file on these guests since they are repeats. That way you may be able to place them in the most sound proof of your rooms.
I know the type well! It could be one of my relatives...
cry_smile.gif

Time to put this info in your memo file on these guests since they are repeats. That way you may be able to place them in the most sound proof of your rooms.
I know the type well! It could be one of my relatives...
cry_smile.gif

As it turns out, they always pick the room farthest from everyone else. But that rooms does need work on soundproofing for my sake! We did find some decorative panels online. Now it's a matter of reading up on the placement of them, looking over the colors and ordering a set or two.

I don't think I'd bring a gift to noisy guests either way, tho.
I would need an excuse for knocking. That is judt me. I I look for non-confrontational ways to defuse a problem, I try to save "face" for everyone. I would not be looking at it as a reward but as a calming thing.

Is it possible that one, or both, are hard of hearing and so speak very very loudly?

Is it possible that one, or both, are hard of hearing and so speak very very loudly?.
They were fine at breakfast in re tone. When the second set of guests showed up, these guest whispered, so no problem there. It was the same thing just now, tho, so I think it's just that they're in their room and don't think the sound travels. I just happen to be sitting right upstairs.

interesting ... in that case, if their in room conversational loudness bothers you, i mean really bothers you enough so that it sounds like they are arguing, why not tap on their door and say 'did you call me?'
wink_smile.gif
is it just this couple or have you noticed it with other occupants of that same room? my cousin attached fabric to the ceilings of the guest rooms at his inn to deaden sound. i know there's an old thread on here about soundproofing and such.

interesting ... in that case, if their in room conversational loudness bothers you, i mean really bothers you enough so that it sounds like they are arguing, why not tap on their door and say 'did you call me?'
wink_smile.gif
is it just this couple or have you noticed it with other occupants of that same room? my cousin attached fabric to the ceilings of the guest rooms at his inn to deaden sound. i know there's an old thread on here about soundproofing and such..
It's odd. We had guests here for 9 days and I never knew when they were in the room. And yet some people I can hear the whole time they are in the room.
I did mention I found the insulating boards and now we just have to read up on placement and then order them. I know even a small amount of fabric helps as just taking the towels down in my bathroom makes it sound hollow!

Back