Suggestions for handling the customer who is as pissy as the day is long?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
OK here goes....I have a non stop, complaining, whiner. She and her husband booked 6 weeks ago and cancelled due to an "emergency". I charged them, gave them a lodging voucher to come at another time, and she rebooked for arrival today.
Yesterday she calls and they have an "emergency" she wants to move her reservation to August when they will 'absolutely be able to come'. I said no and explained that we had once already changed their booking to accomodate them and all the other reasons why (food, staff, room availability, blah blah ad nauseam.)
She then unhappily "rearranged their schedules" when she learned she would forfeit her stay.
Ok fine, now they aredue to arrive today between 3 & 6 PM.
I was out running errands earlier today and had my sign on the door for such occasions that reads:
'Innkeeper will return for 3 o'clock check in' , with a phone number in case of emergency. It seems that Mrs. Knickersinatwist arrived at 12 noon wanted to check in. No one was here, and she was inconvenienced.
(Is it my fault they arrived 3 hours early?) Its not like they aren't told when check in is, so boo-freakin-hoo.
I am back by 2:30 and I am working in the garden. They come walking into a non guest area (clearly marked as private) and demand to use a toilet. I don't have bathrooms that are not in the rooms, so I welcome them to the Inn. She starts right in about the parking is too far to walk. We don't have railings on our walk ups. Whine/Complain etc.
I show them to their room. No this won't do. Show them another room that they like better. Ok fine, now they are in a different room.
They are barking orders at me and each time they walk in and out the front door, they leave the door standing wide open. In other words, I am about ready to beat them both with a stick. I will need to deal with them for the next 3 days and it doesn't show signs of getting better. Sorry for the rant, but I am close to the end of my tether.

They are miserable for being "forced" to come there after all and arrived early and no one was there. Bless their hearts...
Kill them with kindness and see what happens :)

The Farmers Daughter said:
Ok fine, now they aredue to arrive today between 3 & 6 PM.
I was out running errands earlier today and had my sign on the door for such occasions that reads:
'Innkeeper will return for 3 o'clock check in' , with a phone number in case of emergency. It seems that Mrs. Knickersinatwist arrived at 12 noon wanted to check in. No one was here, and she was inconvenienced.
(Is it my fault they arrived 3 hours early?) Its not like they aren't told when check in is, so boo-freakin-hoo.
I am back by 2:30 and I am working in the garden. They come walking into a non guest area (clearly marked as private) and demand to use a toilet. I don't have bathrooms that are not in the rooms, so I welcome them to the Inn. She starts right in about the parking is too far to walk. We don't have railings on our walk ups. Whine/Complain etc.
Hang in there! I had guests arrive early and all pX!%#@! off and they left happy, once they got to eat, relax a bit and do their thing. The other innkeepers were visiting at the time and one came back and they accosted her and said something like "They won't let you in there early" or similar, she replied she was here the night prior. Ticked them off to not be able to get in BEFORE the confirmed check in time. I told him on the phone check in time AND on the confirmation.

But listen I had a special treat to have this inn-mate visiting and I am not going to adjust my whole routine for them to check in early. Sorry, after 6 years I stick to my guns. Unlike someone else who said "This is your job suck it up" I say, I need to have a life. I have policies set up for a reason.

My way of dealing with this kind of guest is to ignore them. Seriously. If they get into a whine, I hear the phone ringing in another part of the house and excuse myself.
I have guests who constantly leave the door to a particular room open. It opens out, into the hallway, and I can't get around it in the open state. After finding it open for the 50th time in one day after they had just gone into the room (and my having closed it quietly 49 times) I kicked it shut so hard the doorframe shook. It was not left open again. I probably should have just poked my head in the door and asked them to pull the door shut behind them, but I had an armload of towels and had just walked smack into the door (luckily buffered by the towels). I don't suggest that method, it's not very mature. Good for the soul, but not mature.

All I can suggest is what has already been said. Just be Stricknine (sp too tired to look it up) Sweet Sally with the Make-em-Sick Smile.
And not to be negative, however this is a perfect example of why many have said put the voucher where the sun don't shine - too often it gives the idea that they can do whatever. I am soooo sorry you got Mr & Mrs Pissant tonighjt. Here is hoping the magic godmother taps them in the night to transform them into Mr & Mrs Sweetguests by morning.

I state in my policies that we are sorry but we cannot accommodate check-ins prior to 3:00. I hang a sign on the front door at 11M which is check-out time, along with a brochure holder that has some suggested things to see and do, including a trifold pamphlet that I made up that says "Grab some lunch?" and lists several places with addresses, phone#s and directions from our inn, for those who do arrive before 3:00. The sign on the door says "Hello! Sorry we missed you! We are busy preparing for our next arrivals and are currently closed. Check in is between 3-5PM. See you then!"
10fitch_FrontDoor.jpg

Well, i just got off the phone with a Mr. Knickersinatwist. Tis the season!

I state in my policies that we are sorry but we cannot accommodate check-ins prior to 3:00. I hang a sign on the front door at 11M which is check-out time, along with a brochure holder that has some suggested things to see and do, including a trifold pamphlet that I made up that says "Grab some lunch?" and lists several places with addresses, phone#s and directions from our inn, for those who do arrive before 3:00. The sign on the door says "Hello! Sorry we missed you! We are busy preparing for our next arrivals and are currently closed. Check in is between 3-5PM. See you then!"
10fitch_FrontDoor.jpg
Nice visual, and great idea with the pamphlet. Welcome to Innspiring.com 10Fitch
welcome.gif

This morning the wife is still as charming as a cold sore. I like to announce at the table what we are serving for breakfast. So I am standing there with a steaming basket of fresh blue berry scones and the table is in conversation. I wait and she turns to me and snaps ' Well? What do you want? Can't you see we are having a conversation?' I felt like dumping the basket over her badly dyed head....grrrrr.

This morning the wife is still as charming as a cold sore. I like to announce at the table what we are serving for breakfast. So I am standing there with a steaming basket of fresh blue berry scones and the table is in conversation. I wait and she turns to me and snaps ' Well? What do you want? Can't you see we are having a conversation?' I felt like dumping the basket over her badly dyed head....grrrrr..
she turns to me and snaps ' Well? What do you want? Can't you see we are having a conversation?
Ooh, she's charming to boot!
angry_smile.gif

This morning the wife is still as charming as a cold sore. I like to announce at the table what we are serving for breakfast. So I am standing there with a steaming basket of fresh blue berry scones and the table is in conversation. I wait and she turns to me and snaps ' Well? What do you want? Can't you see we are having a conversation?' I felt like dumping the basket over her badly dyed head....grrrrr..
This morning the wife is still as charming as a cold sore. I like to announce at the table what we are serving for breakfast. So I am standing there with a steaming basket of fresh blue berry scones and the table is in conversation. I wait and she turns to me and snaps ' Well? What do you want? Can't you see we are having a conversation?' I felt like dumping the basket over her badly dyed head....grrrrr.
That might have done it for me. If it was just that couple I would have set the basket on the table and left. However, if you serve family style and others were present, I would have turned to the first person other than her and offered the scones. I might also have mentioned that she was in my home and I am not the 'hired help' if she would be so kind as to keep that in mind.

See why vouchers are a bad idea. You may THINK you're keeping a customer but you're gaining a PITA.

That might have done it for me. If it was just that couple I would have set the basket on the table and left. However, if you serve family style and others were present, I would have turned to the first person other than her and offered the scones. I might also have mentioned that she was in my home and I am not the 'hired help' if she would be so kind as to keep that in mind.
Yes, but as we learned in another thread, it is not FD's home, and she is an employee. FD, all you can do is be your own nice self, and when they're gone, they're gone. You sure do get some doozies, dontcha? Do you think it's because they know they are not dealing with the owners?

I would talk to the owners about the voucher policy. She is not only disrespecting you but affecting the other guests as well.
Guests are never happy about losing money, even when it is their own fault. However, as you have seen they seem to enjoy punishing you for it.
I never issued vouchers and they got over it. You are just prolonging the experience by trying to cater to them, which is obviously not appreciated anyway.

I do vouchures too, but do not advertize the fact. In order to keep issues down the following is listed on the voucher:
This voucher number must be provided when making your reservation in order to use it for payment, a credit card is still required to hold your room. Once a reservation is made no cancellations or changes will be accepted and the voucher number will be marked void.
I do not think that ANYTHING would make this person happy, she is
potty-mouth.gif
and there is nothing you can say or do to correct the problem. Since she is showing her
potty-mouth.gif
in front of other guests, just continue to treat her like other guests, and try to remain calm as any other emotion would only please her and keep her after you the entire 3 days. The other guests most likely are noticing her non ladylike ways as well and will only be more kind and understanding to you.
Just remember she WILL leave - and you will have her on top of that PITA list.

I'm sorry for you, you deserve so much better.
We have only a few expectations of guests here in terms of how they speak to us or other guests. Rudeness or extreme condescension gets you a quiet, private chat after a few examples of it and the opportunity to be released from the rest of your reservation. I'll eat whatever remaining monies that would be due to not have to deal with that kind of energy for even another night.
I know your hands are tied by your employer, and I'm feeling like his or her's absence and lack of support is a major part of the problem with all these issues that keep popping up for you. You either need to be empowered to take a firmer approach with people that present such challenges even prior to their arrival, or the owner needs to step in and deal.

I would talk to the owners about the voucher policy. She is not only disrespecting you but affecting the other guests as well.
Guests are never happy about losing money, even when it is their own fault. However, as you have seen they seem to enjoy punishing you for it.
I never issued vouchers and they got over it. You are just prolonging the experience by trying to cater to them, which is obviously not appreciated anyway..
SweetiePie said:
I never issued vouchers and they got over it. You are just prolonging the experience by trying to cater to them, which is obviously not appreciated anyway.
Good points but I would not mention the guests are disrespecting her when talking to the owners. They have not seemed to care about that in the past. I would mention that these guests are going out of their way to make other guests very uncomfortable and without actually chastising the woman in public, it has become difficult to get her to limit her outbursts to just criticizing the innkeeper in private. And that it is a direct result of forcing the policy on her.
However, pretty much anything she says is going to sound like she can't control the situation which in turn makes her look like an unsuitable person for the job, no matter how long she's had it. And as the owners do not have to handle anything along the lines of guest mgmt and only seem interested in the money coming in, it's best to stick to how this is impacting possible repeat business from all of the other guests.

i would not address this person any longer. someone is with her? speak to that person. group table? go to the opposite side of the table and start with that person. proceed as usual. i have eaten in some very nice places like the four seasons in boston, and the wait staff come around and speak low to someone not speaking when serving. they don't stand and wait for the queen of the table to acknowledge them.
if she is going to treat you this way on an ongoing basis, you can be pretty sure this is how she (mis)behaves in life.
do not DO NOT stoop to her level. she is enjoying being mad and unkind. and possibly looking to provoke an outburst or a reason to complain or request a refund.
what a sad way to live. her days must be dark indeed.
you must concentrate as best you can on your other guests.
how are your other guests reacting to her? are they cringing and putting up with her antics? you may find that other guests rally round you in sympathy if there is a strong one in the bunch.
she is with someone? how is that person acting?
not that this is going to help you, but i had a guest who found fault with everything ... including the size of the bananas i had. they were too big. no suggestion was helpful. didn't want to eat half. wanted to eat a whole one. why didn't i get smaller bananas? when i told her that was what the market had, she told me i should have shopped around for more appropriate sized bananas. can you imagine how crazy this sounded? what is the size of an appropriate sized banana? one guest came to my rescue telling her i had no time to go from shop to shop in a quest for the right sized banana, assuming i knew what that size was. and i probably don't have to tell you that one guest - i think without intending it - said 'appropriate size for what? ' all the men guests went insane! and after the offended guest marched from the breakfast room, the lewd comments went round and round til one guest almost choked.
repeat the innkeepers' mantra
they pay, they stay, they GO AWAY
and come in here and rant all you need to.

i would not address this person any longer. someone is with her? speak to that person. group table? go to the opposite side of the table and start with that person. proceed as usual. i have eaten in some very nice places like the four seasons in boston, and the wait staff come around and speak low to someone not speaking when serving. they don't stand and wait for the queen of the table to acknowledge them.
if she is going to treat you this way on an ongoing basis, you can be pretty sure this is how she (mis)behaves in life.
do not DO NOT stoop to her level. she is enjoying being mad and unkind. and possibly looking to provoke an outburst or a reason to complain or request a refund.
how are your other guests reacting to her? are they cringing and putting up with her antics? you may find that other guests rally round you in sympathy if there is a strong one in the bunch.
not that this is going to help you, but i had a guest who found fault with everything ... including the size of the bananas i had. they were too big. no suggestion was helpful. didn't want to eat half. wanted to eat a whole one. why didn't i get smaller bananas? when i told her that was what the market had, she told me i should have shopped around for more appropriate sized bananas. can you imagine how crazy this sounded? what is the size of an appropriate sized banana? one guest came to my rescue telling her i had no time to go from shop to shop in a quest for the right sized banana, assuming i knew what that size was. and i probably don't have to tell you that one guest - i think without intending it - said 'appropriate size for what? ' all the men guests went insane! and after the offended guest marched from the breakfast room, the lewd comments went round and round til one guest almost choked.
and come in here and rant all you need to..
seashanty said:
and come in here and rant all you need to.
That is a HILARIOUS story! Good One!!!
thumbs_up.gif
Thanks for sharing.

Back