Suggestions for In Room Information Signs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds daft but you don't want them using fire extinguishers - you want them to GET OUT! -
Ours has breakfast times, evac route, non-smoking and the fine that goes with that, and how to contact the innkeeper.
I wouldn't put the police department - gives them ideas ie must be rough here that they feel it necessary to have this number up on the wall - ie in proper emergency wouldn't most ring 911? which is the same everywhere in the USA?
We do however have a guest info book in each room and provide a welcome letter - none of which gets read I would point out..
Sounds daft but you don't want them using fire extinguishers - you want them to GET OUT! -
Ours has breakfast times, evac route, non-smoking and the fine that goes with that, and how to contact the innkeeper.
I wouldn't put the police department - gives them ideas ie must be rough here that they feel it necessary to have this number up on the wall - ie in proper emergency wouldn't most ring 911? which is the same everywhere in the USA?
We do however have a guest info book in each room and provide a welcome letter - none of which gets read I would point out.
On a recent TV commercial, the actor Alec Baldwin said he used 912. That's 911 for rich people.
We have a binder on the desk in each room that has EVERYTHING in it. We even advertise our own packages.
Proud Texan said:
We even advertise our own packages.
Excellent!

My suggestion, this is a B&B not a hotel, don't have signs. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
My suggestion, this is a B&B not a hotel, don't have signs. :)
I'm with you on that one, JB.
I have a single information pack in the rooms which I print myself.
It's a word document a binder comb with a sheet of acetate on the front to keep it clean. It has information about breakfast, keys, internet, local eateries, bus time table, how to use the heating, out environmental policy. petrol stations, banks. In fact just about anything that has occurred to me over the years that I think the guests will find useful. It's about 10 pages now. This means no signs and notices all over the house, the only sign I have is a towel reuse notice in the bathroom.
Is it different in Scotland? but here its a legal requirement we have a sign with what to do in a fire in the room in a prominant position.
I am not a believer in signs everywhere - looks rubbish and no one reads them anyway - have put one up this year on the back of the breakfast room door (ie so you can see it when its shut) that gives breakfast times - this is because despite my telling everyone on check in breakfast is 7.30-9.30, its on the sign on the back of the bedroom door and in the guest info on the first page and on the welcome letter - we had guests banging on the door to be let in at 7am for a particular conference when I was still in my PJ's - was not amused! this way to bang on the door you have to be stood facing the sign!
Is it different in Scotland? but here its a legal requirement we have a sign with what to do in a fire in the room in a prominant position.
I am not a believer in signs everywhere - looks rubbish and no one reads them anyway - have put one up this year on the back of the breakfast room door (ie so you can see it when its shut) that gives breakfast times - this is because despite my telling everyone on check in breakfast is 7.30-9.30, its on the sign on the back of the bedroom door and in the guest info on the first page and on the welcome letter - we had guests banging on the door to be let in at 7am for a particular conference when I was still in my PJ's - was not amused! this way to bang on the door you have to be stood facing the sign!
We're a 3 room B&B so this counts as a domestic property. A few years ago the Scottish government decided that B&Bs would come under the same fire rules as hotels, etc. The fire brigade went round lots of B&Bs doing fire assesments, telling little old wifey's that they needed £1,000s worth sprinkler systems and fire doors in their homes, and everyone was up in arms about it. The Government decided to relax the rules until they could find a more workable solution and that was the last I heard of it.

My suggestion, this is a B&B not a hotel, don't have signs. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
My suggestion, this is a B&B not a hotel, don't have signs. :)
I'm with you on that one, JB.
I have a single information pack in the rooms which I print myself.
It's a word document a binder comb with a sheet of acetate on the front to keep it clean. It has information about breakfast, keys, internet, local eateries, bus time table, how to use the heating, out environmental policy. petrol stations, banks. In fact just about anything that has occurred to me over the years that I think the guests will find useful. It's about 10 pages now. This means no signs and notices all over the house, the only sign I have is a towel reuse notice in the bathroom.
We're a 3 room B&B so this counts as a domestic property. A few years ago the Scottish government decided that B&Bs would come under the same fire rules as hotels, etc. The fire brigade went round lots of B&Bs doing fire assesments, telling little old wifey's that they needed £1,000s worth sprinkler systems and fire doors in their homes, and everyone was up in arms about it. The Government decided to relax the rules until they could find a more workable solution and that was the last I heard of it.
Yup because of your devolved government (this is coming back to me now) the scots decided to apply common sense to the smaller BB's - would also point out that there has never been a death in a UK bb (so far touch wood) from fire.

we were required to post evacuation routes on the back of each room door showing exits and fire extinguishers. it took a while to do them up. i put them in plastic sleeves to keep them looking fresh.
by the way ... there was a bit of grumbling by the owner who complained that she didn't like the look of them. then the wooden building across the street burned to the ground and the owner of the hotel next to it was terrified. luckily his place came through it okay. he called to ask for help making the signs for his place ... and then the owner was bragging that of course WE had them.

we were required to post evacuation routes on the back of each room door showing exits and fire extinguishers. it took a while to do them up. i put them in plastic sleeves to keep them looking fresh.
by the way ... there was a bit of grumbling by the owner who complained that she didn't like the look of them. then the wooden building across the street burned to the ground and the owner of the hotel next to it was terrified. luckily his place came through it okay. he called to ask for help making the signs for his place ... and then the owner was bragging that of course WE had them..
Just had 2 couples who stayed here who went to your old place after.

Back