Suggestions for In Room Information Signs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Nein

Reaction score
We are finally getting around to putting some information in the rooms - like the signs on the back of doors in regular hotels. I'm just curious what you put on yours. I know that most people won't read them, but I'd rather they felt dumb for not noticing it than I feel dumb for not providing it...
My thoughts:
  • Thank you & Welcome blah-blah
  • Emergency # (same as Inn #, but might make them feel better knowing there is one)
  • Evacuation Route
  • Check Out Times
  • Wifi Password (I'd like to take the stickers off the TVs - I'd put this in BOLD at the bottom to make it prominent)
Would you include local #s like police dept? What other information do you have in your rooms?

Hey There;
We have an information booklet with lots pictures, house rules, Dining Establishments, Sights to see and do, including active sporting ideas. WiFi password, Hot tub guidelines; We also explain the rooms, the amenities, a little about the hosts. etc. We get a lot of favourable comments, as most people read them. The highlight for most guests is looking at the back of the booklet to see where people have come from the past five years of our B&B Life. The only thing we put on the back of the door is the escape route and where the fire extinguishers are. Hope this helps.

Hey There;
We have an information booklet with lots pictures, house rules, Dining Establishments, Sights to see and do, including active sporting ideas. WiFi password, Hot tub guidelines; We also explain the rooms, the amenities, a little about the hosts. etc. We get a lot of favourable comments, as most people read them. The highlight for most guests is looking at the back of the booklet to see where people have come from the past five years of our B&B Life. The only thing we put on the back of the door is the escape route and where the fire extinguishers are. Hope this helps..
Fire Extinguisher locations is a good idea as is house rules.
We have a large table in our foyer with menus and brochures of local things to do. I don't really want to create a "book" for them to thumb through - just a small, framed list of important points.
Thank you!

My suggestion, this is a B&B not a hotel, don't have signs. :).
I agree with you JB, to an extent. I refuse to put signs in the bathroom asking people to reuse towels. But, someone mentioned a small (maybe 4"x5") picture frame on a table with some basic information. I don't think it would take away from the atmosphere and it would answer some questions before they arise.
Do you have evacuation routes or fire extinguisher locations listed in your rooms? For safety reasons, I thought that might be important.

Sounds daft but you don't want them using fire extinguishers - you want them to GET OUT! -
Ours has breakfast times, evac route, non-smoking and the fine that goes with that, and how to contact the innkeeper.
I wouldn't put the police department - gives them ideas ie must be rough here that they feel it necessary to have this number up on the wall - ie in proper emergency wouldn't most ring 911? which is the same everywhere in the USA?
We do however have a guest info book in each room and provide a welcome letter - none of which gets read I would point out.

I would never show a guest where a fire extinguisher is located. Call 9-11.

I agree with you JB, to an extent. I refuse to put signs in the bathroom asking people to reuse towels. But, someone mentioned a small (maybe 4"x5") picture frame on a table with some basic information. I don't think it would take away from the atmosphere and it would answer some questions before they arise.
Do you have evacuation routes or fire extinguisher locations listed in your rooms? For safety reasons, I thought that might be important.
Our state B&B association requires posting the location of the fire extinguisher. I also include the evacuation route, and a little info about tornados along with directions to the basement.

I've got a ton of stuff in the books. But, for that one page info sheet you're talking about? Same stuff you have listed plus
  • breakfast times
  • where to find 'extras' like wine glasses, etc
  • where to find the menus for the restaurants
  • how to use their keys
  • safety tips for not opening the door to anyone
  • children may not be left alone
  • no smoking
  • turn cellphone to vibrate at night for everyone's sake
However, now looking at it it's out of date for some things.

K9 said:
We put those 'towel' cards in the bathrooms and towel reuse went up to about 95%. Before that everyone was just throwing them on the floor. If you don't want to do laundry, give it a try.
we are supposed to have that notice on the back of the door with all the hotel stuff like maximum rates, fire exits and all of that. I can't figure out where to get the form.
I have the 5x7 picture frame that sits on top of the guest book with all the info. That card contains the WiFi code (no one reads it), the breakfast times, where to find the coffee at any time, check out time and how to get us 'after hours'.
Seriously, no one reads it. They pick it up off the bed, put it on the nightstand and go looking for us.

On the back of door we have only check out time and late check outs will be charged for an additional day. Eye level.
A please don't flush anything that wasn't eaten first sign is on the top of each toilet tank top. No other signs.
We started with no signs but have found these two to be useful.

We had that info in our room books in each room. It was not that hard to figure out in our 2 houses though!

Love this site and knew I just had to join.....great topics and tips. I have had my B&B since July 4th 2005. Seven years so I passed the burnout rate for Innkeepers and I must just be crazy.

Joey Bloggs said:
My suggestion, this is a B&B not a hotel, don't have signs. :)
I'm with you on that one, JB.
I have a single information pack in the rooms which I print myself.
It's a word document a binder comb with a sheet of acetate on the front to keep it clean. It has information about breakfast, keys, internet, local eateries, bus time table, how to use the heating, out environmental policy. petrol stations, banks. In fact just about anything that has occurred to me over the years that I think the guests will find useful. It's about 10 pages now. This means no signs and notices all over the house, the only sign I have is a towel reuse notice in the bathroom.

Joey Bloggs said:
My suggestion, this is a B&B not a hotel, don't have signs. :)
I'm with you on that one, JB.
I have a single information pack in the rooms which I print myself.
It's a word document a binder comb with a sheet of acetate on the front to keep it clean. It has information about breakfast, keys, internet, local eateries, bus time table, how to use the heating, out environmental policy. petrol stations, banks. In fact just about anything that has occurred to me over the years that I think the guests will find useful. It's about 10 pages now. This means no signs and notices all over the house, the only sign I have is a towel reuse notice in the bathroom.
Is it different in Scotland? but here its a legal requirement we have a sign with what to do in a fire in the room in a prominant position.
I am not a believer in signs everywhere - looks rubbish and no one reads them anyway - have put one up this year on the back of the breakfast room door (ie so you can see it when its shut) that gives breakfast times - this is because despite my telling everyone on check in breakfast is 7.30-9.30, its on the sign on the back of the bedroom door and in the guest info on the first page and on the welcome letter - we had guests banging on the door to be let in at 7am for a particular conference when I was still in my PJ's - was not amused! this way to bang on the door you have to be stood facing the sign!

Sounds daft but you don't want them using fire extinguishers - you want them to GET OUT! -
Ours has breakfast times, evac route, non-smoking and the fine that goes with that, and how to contact the innkeeper.
I wouldn't put the police department - gives them ideas ie must be rough here that they feel it necessary to have this number up on the wall - ie in proper emergency wouldn't most ring 911? which is the same everywhere in the USA?
We do however have a guest info book in each room and provide a welcome letter - none of which gets read I would point out..
We do however have a guest info book in each room and provide a welcome letter - none of which gets read I would point out.
On a recent TV commercial, the actor Alec Baldwin said he used 912. That's 911 for rich people.
We have a binder on the desk in each room that has EVERYTHING in it. We even advertise our own packages.

We do however have a guest info book in each room and provide a welcome letter - none of which gets read I would point out..
I want them using the fire extinguisher if they are trapped between the fire and the exit/escape. So, we have them everywhere - about 18 of them. I doubt a guest would stay behind, risking his/her life trying to save someone else's house or business. I've seen people trapped like that before.

We put...
  • breakfast information
  • recycling information
  • bathroom information
  • request to respect other guests
  • ice information
  • laundry information
  • TV/DVD information
  • tour information
  • checkout time
  • Internet password

Back