Summer Bookings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
Are you experiencing fewer bookings this Summer? This is our very quiet time but the bookings that I have are for shorter stays than last year and we are down some room nights. I would have expected that we'd have a few more since this is our second Summer and the Spring was up. Of course for many of you, the Summer is your busy season.
My power bill was so high for the last month for the main house that I have blocked those rooms except for rooms already booked because I think it's more efficient to cool the smaller house. Next year, we may just close entirely in July.

I'm honestly not sure. We have had a very busy June, and didn't show anything for July but then it booked up until this weekend for the B&B. The tours have been very busy. We are higher end so many tour bookings come from the inns and hotels and locals.
Again for August I don't have much booked, but am getting a lot of calls for last minute getaways.
Our busy season will be in the fall.
Riki

Things have been filling up here....just with much less lead time. What would normally have filled up months in advance seem to now be filling up a few weeks in advance.

Things have been filling up here....just with much less lead time. What would normally have filled up months in advance seem to now be filling up a few weeks in advance..
swirt said:
Things have been filling up here....just with much less lead time. What would normally have filled up months in advance seem to now be filling up a few weeks in advance.
That's what is happening here. And now it seems to be going from weeks in advance to a week or days in advance, except for the fall.
Riki

I'd say it's slower. But guests are staying longer. More 2-3 and 5-6 nighters.

May was our busiest month. The number of calls has slowed, but we seem to continue to get weekend reservations. The heat is a determining factor, I think. I have absolutely no bookings for August (our hottest month), but we opened just last August and stayed booked.

Samster - summer is our slooooooow period too. May which usually begins our slow season ended as one of the best Mays on record - 60% occ. June was DEAD - so slow I don't even want to say the occ. Then July - which started slow is ending up being our best on record at over 60% occ. Aug. which we use to say we could close the whole month and no one would notice, is slow but have been getting a view calls and have a hand full of bookings.
We are seeing more last minute bookings - mostly a week or less before arrival. More regional* than long distance travel, less business travel and longer getaway stays than normal.
(*note: I have not used the most current publicity received in these stats or in my observations, as this bublicity did not hit the stands until 7/8 and the bookings received are for months away.)

Things have been filling up here....just with much less lead time. What would normally have filled up months in advance seem to now be filling up a few weeks in advance..
swirt said:
That's what is happening here. And now it seems to be going from weeks in advance to a week or days in advance, except for the fall.
Riki
egoodell said:
swirt said:
Riki
Same here. Our numbers are up but we're getting last minute calls instead of advanced bookings. I think the weather has a lot to do with it.

Back