Summer Read

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Ok I am off for about a week to care for mother. NO computer...which may be a real blessing right now. Any suggestions for a GREAT SUMMER READ? I downloaded one from I tunes yesterday about the "founding gardeners" which might be interesting... but I want something that will make me not want to put it down? ANy suggestions?

Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet- Jamie Ford
The People of the Book- Geraldine Brooks
Prodigal Summer- Barbara Kingsolver

Let's Take the Long Way Home - Gail Caldwell (be prepared for tears)

Let's Take the Long Way Home - Gail Caldwell (be prepared for tears).
Thanks but I don't want anything with tears. We have had enough of that lately with mom :-( Things are looking up so I want something upbeat:)

Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani - and then the whole series. Virginia author and stories you will love. Quirky fun stories. She has stayed at a forum innmates place. :) She is DELIGHTFUL! Only Italian Catholic Family in SW SW Virginia. She is now in NYC, but born and raised in Big Stone Gap VA.
http://www.bigstonegap.org/ourtown/trigiani.htm
her website with her other great novels
http://www.adrianatrigiani.com/

Oldies but goodies: The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldan. Awesome historical fiction, set in 18th century Scotland. I think there are like 7 of them, the first 2 are my favorites.
Mitford...Mitford is just always uplifting and always appropriate
regular_smile.gif

Thanks but I don't want anything with tears. We have had enough of that lately with mom :-( Things are looking up so I want something upbeat:)
I used to read Sidney Sheldon until I realized he recycled his endings. Haven't read much fiction lately, sorry.

Oldies but goodies: The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldan. Awesome historical fiction, set in 18th century Scotland. I think there are like 7 of them, the first 2 are my favorites.
regular_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
regular_smile.gif
I think of Mitford every year when our Anglican Priest from Philly stops here enroute to his conference in Spartanburg SC. He is so remisiscent of the main character it is uncanning. (I do make the orange marmalade cake - in fact made one today for guests - and he is also diabetic)

I used to read Sidney Sheldon until I realized he recycled his endings. Haven't read much fiction lately, sorry.
remnjava said:
In the middle of a terrific book "BOONE" biography by Robert Morgan. Talk about learning some history y'all! It is fantastica!!!

regular_smile.gif
Don Draper said:
regular_smile.gif
I think of Mitford every year when our Anglican Priest from Philly stops here enroute to his conference in Spartanburg SC. He is so remisiscent of the main character it is uncanning. (I do make the orange marmalade cake - in fact made one today for guests - and he is also diabetic)
Joey Bloggs said:
(I do make the orange marmalade cake - in fact made one today for guests - and he is also diabetic)
Recipe?

I would suggest "The Millenium Trilogy" - by Steig Larson
First one is called "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
They are addictive and totally consuming. Great while mom is having a rest.

If you like something that will keep you reading I just finished "The Priests Graveyard" by Ted Dekker. It was a really different kind of story and kept me reading late into the night.
Love story-murder-vengence and good ol fashioned stuff...

I would suggest "The Millenium Trilogy" - by Steig Larson
First one is called "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
They are addictive and totally consuming. Great while mom is having a rest..
Ive just read these three couldn't put them down. im watching the films but it was originally filmed in swedish and has been dubbed in English so is a bit odd to watch sometimes.

Haven't read this one but it comes highly recommended and I really really WANT to read it:
"Driving over lemons" by Chris Stewart. Apparently it's in the same genre as "A Year in Provence" but hysterically funny ....

Haven't read this one but it comes highly recommended and I really really WANT to read it:
"Driving over lemons" by Chris Stewart. Apparently it's in the same genre as "A Year in Provence" but hysterically funny .....
Hysterically funny...I could use that.

Back