Super Cleaners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
I just saw a comment on the PAII forum that someone uses their steam cleaner 'on each mattress after every guest'. OMG! Is it me, or is that a little excessive? What kind of guests is this place hosting? I'd have to remove my mattress encasements to do that, not to mention the mattress pad every time. OK, I admit that the mattress pad does not get washed after every guest, but it does on a regular basis.
Am I missing something here?

I think it is called overkill. If you have an encasement, nothing should be getting to the mattress in any case, it's a liquid barrier (or at least mine is). And the reason for using an absorbant mattress pad that is white is that stains are evident. We examine them all the time and we can easily replace them. We have extras.

Good grief...they must have cleaning staff and money up the wazooo to do that. That is what I call overkill. Plus, won't doing that so much affect the mattress??? Talk about paranoid. Do they post a note on the bed telling every guest it has been steam cleaned for them personally
poke.gif

They could not possibly have an encasement on that mattress! It's just plain stupid to do that each and every time. Waterproof encasement, waterproof mattress pad and nothing will get through. Wash pad frequently and voila!

They could not possibly have an encasement on that mattress! It's just plain stupid to do that each and every time. Waterproof encasement, waterproof mattress pad and nothing will get through. Wash pad frequently and voila!

Now, if she was using bleach in the steam cleaner, that might be excessive. I wonder if she wears a hazmat suit when she cleans?

Now, if she was using bleach in the steam cleaner, that might be excessive. I wonder if she wears a hazmat suit when she cleans?.
Proud Texan said:
Now, if she was using bleach in the steam cleaner, that might be excessive. I wonder if she wears a hazmat suit when she cleans?
Actually...
Sorry...I was just thinking how maybe we should.
hazmat.jpg

I've read that one before and have always thought it was excessive. Apparently, if you do it correctly, it does not get the mattress wet. Which is all I could think of.
We have mattress pads that we wash regularly and the mattresses are encased.
There's enough to do in a day without adding extra cleaning.
Heck, I should vacuum the radiators every couple of days but that's something else that gets short shrift.
If I focus on the bedding, towels, bathroom and making sure everything is dusted and vacuumed, I call it good.

I've read that one before and have always thought it was excessive. Apparently, if you do it correctly, it does not get the mattress wet. Which is all I could think of.
We have mattress pads that we wash regularly and the mattresses are encased.
There's enough to do in a day without adding extra cleaning.
Heck, I should vacuum the radiators every couple of days but that's something else that gets short shrift.
If I focus on the bedding, towels, bathroom and making sure everything is dusted and vacuumed, I call it good..
Madeleine said:
I would LOVE to know if anyone has found a special vacuum attachment that gets in between those stupid radiator ribs (or whatever you call them).

Cleaning Tip: Use a very bright flashlight (a torch for our British friends) and survey your rooms. DW did this to look for a lost object and what looked clean under normal lighting conditions was anything but. We pride ourselves on how clean our rooms are, but were surprised to see how much dust we had missed.
When we first started this business, it was very e
spacer.gif
asy to miss corners or overlook ceiling fan blades...these are usually not well lit. What shocked me was how dusty the little metal parts supporting a lampshade get! We now have a thorough dusting routine that covers EVERYTHING.
I keep telling myself I'm going to invest in a black light, but I haven't done it yet.
@Aussie Innkeeper: If you have access to a portable air compressor with a blower attachment, you can use this to clean the radiator ribs and other hard to reach places. Be mindfull that this should not be used on every surface because it can remove paint if powerful enough. But it works well on mechanical or metal components to remove dirt and grime. I would cover everything else with plastic or old sheets before you do it because dust will go everywhere.

Cleaning Tip: Use a very bright flashlight (a torch for our British friends) and survey your rooms. DW did this to look for a lost object and what looked clean under normal lighting conditions was anything but. We pride ourselves on how clean our rooms are, but were surprised to see how much dust we had missed.
When we first started this business, it was very e
spacer.gif
asy to miss corners or overlook ceiling fan blades...these are usually not well lit. What shocked me was how dusty the little metal parts supporting a lampshade get! We now have a thorough dusting routine that covers EVERYTHING.
I keep telling myself I'm going to invest in a black light, but I haven't done it yet.
@Aussie Innkeeper: If you have access to a portable air compressor with a blower attachment, you can use this to clean the radiator ribs and other hard to reach places. Be mindfull that this should not be used on every surface because it can remove paint if powerful enough. But it works well on mechanical or metal components to remove dirt and grime. I would cover everything else with plastic or old sheets before you do it because dust will go everywhere..
Proud Texan said:
@Aussie Innkeeper: If you have access to a portable air compressor with a blower attachment, you can use this to clean the radiator ribs and other hard to reach places. Be mindfull that this should not be used on every surface because it can remove paint if powerful enough. But it works well on mechanical or metal components to remove dirt and grime. I would cover everything else with plastic or old sheets before you do it because dust will go everywhere.
Thanks going to try this on an old wrot iron set.

Back