Super easy snacks?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I need some really fast dessert/snack recipes. Short cooking time, short prep time, short ingredient list.
I'm getting tired of the pnut butter cookies!

I can vouch for the Louisiana Stranger Cake! I enjoyed it as a guest
tounge_smile.gif

tounge_smile.gif
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif
I have that recipe. I need shorter bake times. 10-15 minutes. But I am going to try it sometime, it does sound good! This week we are full almost everyday. I need fast stuff because I'm beat!

tounge_smile.gif
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif
I have that recipe. I need shorter bake times. 10-15 minutes. But I am going to try it sometime, it does sound good! This week we are full almost everyday. I need fast stuff because I'm beat!
Buy stuff at the store! hahaha! No, I confess...I have done it :)

Un-Butterfingers
wheat thins, peanut butter, a little splenda or confectioner's sugar and melted chocolate
sweeten peanut butter to taste
spread wheat thin with peanut butter, top with another wheat thin.
dip in melted chocolate and freeze two minutes to set.
tastes like butterfingers candybar ~ in hot weather, if they don't get eaten, you'll need to keep them in fridge or they will melt together.
i'll put this in recipes sometime

tounge_smile.gif
Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif
Samster said:
I'll get whoopie pies if I'm really stressed for time. I can get mini ones and cut them in half. It's more just so there is something out, hardly anything is getting eaten. (Except by me!)

What about hummus with veggies and/or chips, crackers?
Hummus is very easy to make, dirt cheap and keeps pretty well for several days.
We rotate our afternoon snack and it is one of the easiest to make, serve and cleanup from. Unlike a cheese plate, you can portion out the amount of hummus and veggies to the number of guests there to enjoy it.
I'll put a little cup of it on a plate and drizzle some olive oil on top, then fill the rest of the plate with maybe six 1/4" cucumber slices per couple, a handful of those baby carrots, a few slices of red bell pepper and a small portion of crackers or tortilla chips.
Hell, you can even buy pre-made hummus.

Feta Basil Crostinis! use french baguette bread. slice it at an angle. spray cooking spray on both sides of slices . place on a sheet under broiler until they brown. watch closely cause they brown up fast.( toast both sides)
mix, to taste, feta & sour cream. lightly spread on crostinis & top with diced tomato & chopped fresh basil. Yummo!
also try with a slice of roma tomato, add a slice of Cabot seriously sharp cheddar and sprinkle with fresh riosemary. place under the broiler till cheese is melted and bread is crispy. Delish!
i get a big tub of chocolate chip cookie dough at Sam's. that is saved for those days when i am crazy busy. all i have to do is take it out of freezer & thaw. spoon it onto baking sheet. in the spring, i actually make up 3 or 4 kinds of cookie dough to pop in the freezer just or my crazy busy days when i just can't find 10 minutes to whip up a batch of dough.

I haven't ever done any 'savory' snacks, always sweet. Not sure how well the savory will hold up for 6-7 hours. They'll be out at 3 and there they'll sit until 9 when the lights are turned off. With the sweets, I just leave them out all night for the midnight snackers. And we do get them!

when we do a savory appetizer, usually on the weekends, we serve them at check in hours, there usually isn't anything left over. i also make cookies, brownies or cupcakes, etc. those disappear when everyone comes back from dinner.

do you have a common area fridge?
also you could do the chocolate dipped big pretzel rods or chocolate dipped oreos.my mom puts peanut butter between ritz crackers & dips them in white chocolate. she can't make them fast enough when there is a family gathering

I haven't ever done any 'savory' snacks, always sweet. Not sure how well the savory will hold up for 6-7 hours. They'll be out at 3 and there they'll sit until 9 when the lights are turned off. With the sweets, I just leave them out all night for the midnight snackers. And we do get them!.
Bree said:
I haven't ever done any 'savory' snacks, always sweet. Not sure how well the savory will hold up for 6-7 hours. They'll be out at 3 and there they'll sit until 9 when the lights are turned off. With the sweets, I just leave them out all night for the midnight snackers. And we do get them!
Sorry, I didn't catch the part of how long the stuff would sit out.
Our sweets are out all day and night under a dome, but our actual "afternoon refresher" as we call it is served from 5-6pm when folks are either just checking in or getting back from an active day.

I haven't ever done any 'savory' snacks, always sweet. Not sure how well the savory will hold up for 6-7 hours. They'll be out at 3 and there they'll sit until 9 when the lights are turned off. With the sweets, I just leave them out all night for the midnight snackers. And we do get them!.
Bree said:
Our sweets are out all day and night under a dome, but our actual "afternoon refresher" as we call it is served from 5-6pm when folks are either just checking in or getting back from an active day.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Bree said:
I have a full house tonight. No one is here. No one has been here since around 4 PM. I would love to have a 'happy hour' kind of setup where I could have a nice 'cheese tray' and the like out. It's just not that kind of place. Next week, when we're full most every night half of my guests will be giving lectures from 5-7 so they won't be here.
That's pretty much why I stick with the sweets. The comings are goings are pretty widespread.

Don't shoot me, but I'm gonna go renegade here and tell you all the truth.
I haven't done afternoon tea or snacks in about 6 or 7 years now.
And the really weird thing is NO ONE SEEMS TO MISS IT! or even ask for it, for that matter.
When I started, I did. Baked my tushie off for 4 o'clock tea and ended up pitching it on a regular basis. In my frustration, I started asking guests why (originally this started when Atkins and then South Beach diets were all the rage and I thought that had something to do with it.)
Anyway the answer I got was that 4 o'clock tea interfers with peoples 6 o'clock dinner.
I actually had a woman say to me once: Do me a favor and take those cakes off the table before my husband comes down. If I don't get taken out to dinner tonight .... someones going to DIE!
icon_eek.gif

Now I only do afternoon tea by advance arrangement.

And the really weird thing is NO ONE SEEMS TO MISS IT! or even ask for it, for that matter.
When I started, I did. Baked my tushie off for 4 o'clock tea and ended up pitching it on a regular basis. In my frustration, I started asking guests why (originally this started when Atkins and then South Beach diets were all the rage and I thought that had something to do with it.)
Anyway the answer I got was that 4 o'clock tea interfers with peoples 6 o'clock dinner.
I actually had a woman say to me once: Do me a favor and take those cakes off the table before my husband comes down. If I don't get taken out to dinner tonight .... someones going to DIE!
icon_eek.gif

Now I only do afternoon tea by advance arrangement..
We stopped making muffins and breads for breakfast during that phase. No crust on the quiche anymore, nothing but whole wheat toast. It was awful to throw out a dozen muffins everyday because they had been plated and served and ignored. And now we're used to having all that extra time!
I'll keep doing the afternoon treats, tho, because we get a fair number of kids and they really like it. As well as a fair number of guys who must all have had moms who baked. They get all excited to see a big plate of cookies.

brownies, add some of those hershey's kisses you have piling up there.

icon_eek.gif

The Farmers Daughter said:
icon_eek.gif

No one seems to miss it? How do you know? What did you serve? I ask as at two BnB's I visited - one had keebler cookies - yuk, and another had some store bought pound cake, yuk. Neither attracted me one bit, but if there were something small and yummy I would think it was fantastic!
I put brownies with double chocolate ghirradelli chips in them out yesterday and they were gobbled up and I have them out again right now (more of the same since I made a whole tray of them - new rooms checking in) and a note telling them to help themselves to sodas in the fridge, unless it is a whole house I don't put iced tea and ice out. I ask at check in if they would like ice or glasses of ice, and show them the wine glasses and opener.
Guests come back from dinner and have them as dessert.

icon_eek.gif

icon_eek.gif

No one seems to miss it? How do you know? What did you serve? I ask as at two BnB's I visited - one had keebler cookies - yuk, and another had some store bought pound cake, yuk. Neither attracted me one bit, but if there were something small and yummy I would think it was fantastic!
I put brownies with double chocolate ghirradelli chips in them out yesterday and they were gobbled up and I have them out again right now (more of the same since I made a whole tray of them - new rooms checking in) and a note telling them to help themselves to sodas in the fridge, unless it is a whole house I don't put iced tea and ice out. I ask at check in if they would like ice or glasses of ice, and show them the wine glasses and opener.
Joe Bloggs said:
icon_eek.gif

No one seems to miss it? How do you know? What did you serve?
I always had out our signature Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies and chocolate dipped pretzel sticks. A fresh fruit basket and some type of home made cake. Sometimes people would take the fruit and then I would find it laying around in the guest rooms. I would do Chocolate dipped strawberries sometimes too. I will do afternoon tea if requested, but I can't remember the last time someone asked for it. I just gave it up. One less thing for me to do.

Back