Super toilets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I guess we're all familiar with airplane/ship toilets, where you close the lid, press the button, there's a big "whoosh" sound and the flush is over in one second.
On our recent vacation we stayed a night at a Renaissance hotel near the Newark NJ airport. The toilets there looked like regular Kohler toilets, standard amount of water standing in the bowl and all that, but when you flush them there's that familiar "whoosh" and flush is over instantly (whether the lid is up or down).
I'd never seen a standard toilet do this, so I took the cover off the tank to investigate.
There was no water in there. Just a black plastic tank with a hose going into it.
flushmate-in-tank.gif

I copied down the brand name on the thing: Sloan Flushmate. In studying their website, it says it uses the water pressure of your input water line to build up the air pressure that does the flushing. They claim it's clog-proof and never requires more than one flush, which are appealing claims. The fact that this huge hotel chain is using them tells me they probably live up to their billing.
It did indeed seem "powerful" and has a certain wow factor. I'm just not sure how people would feel about the different sound of the flush.
Drawback: they won't work with just any toilet. You have to have or buy one of the models they work with.

You are right at home on this forum...where else could you not only talk toilets but post images. ha ha
I wanna go and flush it to see it myself!

I put these in a house I renovated years and years ago..
UKMaineiac said:
I put these in a house I renovated years and years ago.
And? What was the verdict on it? A good thing?
It occurs to me that a simple toilet can be maintained by any handyman, but if a super toilet malfunctions, where is the superman who can fix it?
On the other hand, if you can't clog it, and it can't overflow, it may end up being less maintenance overall.

You are right at home on this forum...where else could you not only talk toilets but post images. ha ha
I wanna go and flush it to see it myself!.
Joey Bloggs said:
...where else could you not only talk toilets but post images. ha ha
We know what's important!

We just installed 2 new Kohler toilets. They were just the standard model...we needed to replace 48 year old models :-( ANyway..they have totally redesigned the toilets. one slight push and voila...gone...totally different from those we replaced just 10 years ago. Takes getting used to..but very efficient for just being the "normal" model.

I put these in a house I renovated years and years ago..
UKMaineiac said:
I put these in a house I renovated years and years ago.
And? What was the verdict on it? A good thing?
It occurs to me that a simple toilet can be maintained by any handyman, but if a super toilet malfunctions, where is the superman who can fix it?
On the other hand, if you can't clog it, and it can't overflow, it may end up being less maintenance overall.
Well, I got them because of all the great (no negative) things I'd heard about them. However, divorce got in the way of ever being able to use them on a regular basis. I miss the toilets way more than I miss the ex
teeth_smile.gif

Honestly, I'd forgotten about them but would absolutely look into installing them if / when I need to replace any of the thrones.

I have Vacu-flush toilets! They are very, very common on boats and yachts - been around for years and years. Same concept - there is a vacuum tank that is attached to a pump via a hose. The pump runs until a sensor turns it off after it has created a vacuum in the tank and the hose up to the toilet. When the seal is broken in the toilet (when you flush), crap goes screaming around corners so fast you can't see it leave the bowl!
I have yet to find one that was totally bullet proof. A tampon will clog mine up at the first duckbill in the line. There are 4 duckbills on each of my toilets - the "mouse" is always in the first one - pretty simple to remove, but not my favorite task as sometimes that pump/tank may be on the far side of a 180° engine. Mine have remote components - I like that all in one though!
As the Vacuflush toilets cost me about $1,500 each when I can find a good deal, I wonder how these household vacuflush toilets cost in comparison. Anyone know a price on these? That said, mine do run on 32 volt power which probably explains some of the inflated cost - it's a "gotcha" market for me.
The one drawback for household use is that when you lose power, due to a storm for instance, your toilets become dead. They need electricity to run the vacuum pump unlike the traditional toilets that use water pressure and gravity to flush.

Correction!!! Just looked at Sloan's website - these don't take any power to operate - a little different operating concept - uses water pressure. I'm like these more and more. I wonder if I can make these work on a boat. I'd probably still need a pump to move the waste from the hose to the tank since the lines are not drained by gravity. Very interesting concept on how they create the vacuum!!! No duckbills!

How loud are they when you flush? Would you be able to hear the whoosh on the other side of a common wall?

How loud are they when you flush? Would you be able to hear the whoosh on the other side of a common wall?.
They sound about like the toilets on a jet plane. A little louder than a standard flush, but not bad through the wall. Of course, injecting insulation into bathroom walls for sound insulation might be a good policy regardless of equipment used.

We had to install these in our guest rooms because we're built on a slope and the drain drop to the septic tank was only marginal.
They're awesome! Absolutely no stopped up toilets! We're putting one in our own bathroom during an upcoming remodel.
They are not any louder than a conventional toilet. They may even be a little quieter.

Back