SuperInn Wishlist

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
Resurected this discussion from back in February. It was originally one thread but I have split it up by product. (I'll do my best to attribute who said what and convert usernames to present names as best as I can.) Some of these feature requests will apppear in multiple porduct trheads as they were addressed to "All". Feel free to keep adding to it. Please lets keep these on track as feature requests/bug fixes and not who likes which product best...
swirt said:
  • Actual credit card processing.
  • Mini-calendars like webervations offers
  • The ability to attach photos to guest info, so that those of us with aging memories can remember who is who when they come back for a second time.
  • On the innkeeper's side of things it would be great if the main screen included constantly visible availability calendar instead of it being several clicks away.
  • If I don't enter the last name of the second person in the reservation, don't erase the first name. I may not know their last name (may not be married), or I may not want to type the same last name twice.
  • Simple but complete search. Let me type in a word and have it look in every field of the database for that word. Right now you are restricted to last name, credit card, and just a couple others. It needs to check notes, housekeeping notes, and ALL fields.
  • On the innkeeper side, they need a sitemap so that you can get to all pages without going through the various pulldown menus. The pulldown menus don't show on a cellphone browser and prevent me from using the system from my phone. If they had a link to a site map with direct links from there, it would make it possible.
  • It sends out an email every time a new reservation comes in which is nice, but it lacks any details or link even a link to the system. It would be nice if it included the names of the guests, the dates of stay and a link to follow to jump to SuperInn.
Bree said:
  • provide a 'did you mean' list if I get close to a guest's name, don't just leave me hanging. Also, if there really ISN'T a guest with that name, don't make me start over at square one with the rez, give me a click that takes me back into the rez I was in the middle of.
    A 'Return to Reservation' button would do it.
  • Don't make me go back to the 'home' page for everything. We all have links on every page so the guest can skip around to different pages from wherever they land...
  • When I hover the mouse over a guest's name in the calendar, I'd like it to show more than name and rez number. It should show the address (so if they're late I can see if they're coming from far away without opening the whole rez) and phone number and notes and number in party as well as if there are kids or dogs also.
    Everyday we go thru the list to see who has what allergies and it would be easier to just run the mouse down the list of names.
gillumhouse said:
I would like them to ask potential guests if they would like to see available packages - without having packages come up first or just the rooms so they do not know they can book a package.
One online reservation I tried had the packages come up first - which knowing how nervous (some) people are with computers - not wanting to accidently book a package when all they want is a room - would leave immediately (I know I would be afraid to click through). Then the problem was rooms showed but did not offer a way to get to packages. Now I find out I did not have the code for my packages on my Specials page (did not realize anything was needed there) for Webervations so have no idea how that would work (see potential guests are not the only ones who do not know things). Have not signed up for the new version yet so do not know exactly what it does.
Just since we are saying what we would like to see - that is mine. Packages is where I have an opportunity to make some money.
swirt said:
Being able to add tracker code to the booking engine would be a very helpful feature. Example: add your Google Analytics code number and then you can track who actually makes it all the way through to the reservation and determine where others abandon the process.
swirt said:
An emoticon (using the yellow smileys) rating system to rate the quality of the guest so that you don't have to read all your notes if they are on the phone with you and asking to come back.
:) = Good Guest / Easy Guest
:)) = Happy/Funny Guest
:( = Grumpy
:| = Pay and Go
8( = DENY Future Reservations
:$ = cheapskate
:? = unknown
InntheSouth said:
a printed "how to" manual with troubleshooting info would also be helpful or quick tips. I'm just looking at the online help for more info after my training.
swirt said:
Breakfast tracker. When it comes to guests who come back we often ended up scratching our heads as to what we served them on previous times. In our second year we started recording it in the notes section when they check out. It would be nice if the system could keep a table of meals served each day, and then when looking up a guest could connect their dates of stay with the meals table and show you what you have served them in the past. It would be easier just recording it once per day instead of writing it in everyones notes when they check out.

Does anybody use Superinn for cc processing?.
No, unless something has changed very recently, Superinn does not process credit cards. (although it is supposed to be in the works)

No, unless something has changed very recently, Superinn does not process credit cards. (although it is supposed to be in the works)
Yes they now offer it, but is new. I understand that you use authorize.net as the gateway. The cc info that you have in your existing system is erased and superinn no longer stores any cc info except the last 4 digits in history. I don't see how it will work for me, because we do not charge in full when the reservation is made. We would like the cc info to charge x # of days out. The only way to get the cc info back is to log into your authorize.net account and then charge them there and reenter the cc info in your si system to keep track of it. seems awkward.

Yes they now offer it, but is new. I understand that you use authorize.net as the gateway. The cc info that you have in your existing system is erased and superinn no longer stores any cc info except the last 4 digits in history. I don't see how it will work for me, because we do not charge in full when the reservation is made. We would like the cc info to charge x # of days out. The only way to get the cc info back is to log into your authorize.net account and then charge them there and reenter the cc info in your si system to keep track of it. seems awkward.
Awkward, but the only safe way to do it. I don't think there are any safe and contractually legal ways to have a system hold the data and have it charge automatically at a certain number of days out. Hanging on to any of this data for charging after the initial deposit is frowned upon under the newer standards (as far as I understand).
Did superinn offer this to you as a recent sign up or have you been using superinn for a while? I've been with them for a number of years and haven't heard anything yet.
sad_smile.gif

I have been with them many years and have inquired about for a long time. To my knowledge they are the only reservation system that does not hold any of the cc info. Sidenote: I do like the update today on checkin & check out colors on the chart.

I have been with them many years and have inquired about for a long time. To my knowledge they are the only reservation system that does not hold any of the cc info. Sidenote: I do like the update today on checkin & check out colors on the chart..
Landmark said:
I have been with them many years and have inquired about for a long time. To my knowledge they are the only reservation system that does not hold any of the cc info. Sidenote: I do like the update today on checkin & check out colors on the chart.
I'm confused by what you mean by they don't hold the credit card info. How don't they hold the info? And what chart colors are you talking about?

I have been with them many years and have inquired about for a long time. To my knowledge they are the only reservation system that does not hold any of the cc info. Sidenote: I do like the update today on checkin & check out colors on the chart..
Landmark said:
I'm confused by what you mean by they don't hold the credit card info. How don't they hold the info? And what chart colors are you talking about?
At the moment whether a resv is made online or manualy entered you retain all the cc info in your system. What I understand is that when you ask them to cut on the cc processing part of the system. They will wipe out all your cc info that you currently have on your guests (no choice). A gateway with Authorize.net will have to be established to connect si with your processor. So when a pending comes in, the resv has already charged them what ever amount or settings you established. Again, you have no cc info on the si system except the last 4 digits. Then when the guest shows up you can charge them the balance by re-entering the cc info when the guest hand you, but again after you charged them the cc info is no longer stored in the si system except in history the last 4 digits. In the case where you charge them x # of days out you don't have any cc info available to you. The only way to have any of the cc info is if you log into your Authorize.net account and charge them that way.
I am do my best to explain my understanding of how it works. Hoping somebody is using this feature to perhaps correct me if I am wrong because at the moment it does not seem that it will work for me.
Bree my availability chart was updated to reflect a different color when you checkin or checkout a guest. Maybe all accounts have not been updated?
Don't get me wrong I like si, just trying to find someone who currently uses si for cc processing, hopefully to verify or correct me. Thanx

Landmark said:
At the moment whether a resv is made online or manualy entered you retain all the cc info in your system. What I understand is that when you ask them to cut on the cc processing part of the system. They will wipe out all your cc info that you currently have on your guests (no choice). A gateway with Authorize.net will have to be established to connect si with your processor. So when a pending comes in, the resv has already charged them what ever amount or settings you established. Again, you have no cc info on the si system except the last 4 digits. Then when the guest shows up you can charge them the balance by re-entering the cc info when the guest hand you, but again after you charged them the cc info is no longer stored in the si system except in history the last 4 digits. In the case where you charge them x # of days out you don't have any cc info available to you. The only way to have any of the cc info is if you log into your Authorize.net account and charge them that way.
I am do my best to explain my understanding of how it works. Hoping somebody is using this feature to perhaps correct me if I am wrong because at the moment it does not seem that it will work for me.
Bree my availability chart was updated to reflect a different color when you checkin or checkout a guest. Maybe all accounts have not been updated?
Don't get me wrong I like si, just trying to find someone who currently uses si for cc processing, hopefully to verify or correct me. Thanx
So you have a different setup than the plain vanilla SI. I don't use authorize.net so I get the full cc number and then I ask for the cc to swipe when the guest arrives.
So, as an example...a guest checking in that day is in blue, one checking out is in green, and a pending is still orange? Is that what you see, or similar?

Landmark said:
I think by law they are not allowed to hold credit card info any longer. it is erased after transactions.

Landmark said:
Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to explain. I am not seeing the new colors on mine yet. Maybe current customers will all hear something soon.
And maybe we can get someone from SuperInn/Sarktech to clarify.
I do think that all of the reservation systems will be changing to "not hold cc data" It sounds like Superinn is just building to these new standards. I think others will if they are not already.

We actually have used Authorize.net in the past with RezOvation. This would be for online transactions only - it wouldn't make sense to use it at the property (even if this is offered) because it offers no transmission of swiped data - meaning it would be impossible to get a "qualified" transaction. Authorize.net is also not certified for lodging - one of the many reasons we stopped recommending them.
As far as a third party storing your consumer's credit card data - there really isn't a law on it, however there are some pretty strict rules on it. The rules are the only ones that matter - because if you violate them, then the cc companies can stop you from processing! Trial-judge-jury all in one...
The rules are somewhat unclear though. Technically it is within the PCI rules for a 3rd party to store consumer credit card data - provided that 3rd party goes through some pretty strict security procedures. I believe that they would be a Level 4 merchant - like Rezo as well - and that requires scans and a self-audit. I can't tell if they are scanning - if they were doing daily scans you would see a badge on their sites and I don't see it. (we pay for daily service for every customer - period - it is not cheap, but it leaves no doubt). It is impossible to tell if they have done a self-audit because that would remain private. Eventually they will need to become a certified payment application - or they will not be able to take cc's at all... and that is not an easy or inexpensive thing.
In practicality, the best security method is only keep data as long as you need it - so if they are erasing cc numbers after their use, and there is NO WAY to get them back (i.e. just encrypting them - not totally deleting them), then that is the smartest thing to do. That is what we do on our servers, and what we now enable innkeepers to do in our software.
Within a year or so it is going to be a lot easier for innkeepers though - either your application goes through the Visa PA-DSS certification, or you are not supposed to accept credit cards - period. It will be easy to tell who is certified and who is not - all certified applications will show up on the Visa website.
There are already some PMS solutions on the website. I wish I could tell you that RezOvation was one of them... but we are not... some that are:
Agilsys, Hilton's ONQ, HSI, Micros, MSI, Springer-Miller.
These are all systems that are generally considered unaffordable for anyone but large properties unfortunately.

Landmark said:
OK, ask and you shall receive...I see the new color bar at the bottom of the calendar page. And it works like a charm...I can go back and see which guests I missed checking out! Wowee, that used to take some effort to figure out.

Landmark said:
OK, ask and you shall receive...I see the new color bar at the bottom of the calendar page. And it works like a charm...I can go back and see which guests I missed checking out! Wowee, that used to take some effort to figure out.
Bree that is correct different colors for checkins & checkouts, but pendings are the same and others are same.

Landmark said:
Bree that is correct different colors for checkins & checkouts, but pendings are the same and others are same.
I just used it to go back thru the year and see who I forgot to checkout. Works great!

Landmark said:
I just used it to go back thru the year and see who I forgot to checkout. Works great!
LOL Or you could use Reservations >>> Reminders >>> Today's Check Outs (it shows any that have not been checked out yet, not just todays)

Landmark said:
LOL Or you could use Reservations >>> Reminders >>> Today's Check Outs (it shows any that have not been checked out yet, not just todays)
swirt said:
You know, I just use the pieces I need daily. I have come across that one you mention when backing out of something, but I just don't remember everything. The color works better for me I think, being a visual sort of person. Now, would I have been happier with something more useful and as yet unavailable? You betcha!
OK, wait, I went in and found the screen you mean. I have tons of undone checkouts and none of them show up. (I only fixed this year's.) How far back will that screen go?

Landmark said:
Bree said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm trying to follow along as we may need to choose and learn how to use one of these programs soon...
What do you mean by "checkout"? I hope you didn't forget to charge them!

Landmark said:
swirt said:
You know, I just use the pieces I need daily. I have come across that one you mention when backing out of something, but I just don't remember everything. The color works better for me I think, being a visual sort of person. Now, would I have been happier with something more useful and as yet unavailable? You betcha!
OK, wait, I went in and found the screen you mean. I have tons of undone checkouts and none of them show up. (I only fixed this year's.) How far back will that screen go?
Hmm. I'm not sure how far back it goes. I'm usually only a week or two behind so have never extended it beyond the year.

Landmark said:
Bree said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm trying to follow along as we may need to choose and learn how to use one of these programs soon...
What do you mean by "checkout"? I hope you didn't forget to charge them!
I can't speak for Bree, but here is an example of what happens for me.
When a guest checks in, I usually have them pay for their balance when they arrive (saves confusion on checkout day). So while they are in our kitchen/livingroom/diningroom I run their card through the cc machine in our kitchen. Then I staple our copy of the receipt to our copy of the check-in form that they sign (generated and printed from SuperInn). The processing of the payment is separate from SuperInn (at least until they add payment as a feature) SuperInn (at the moment) is just for record keeping. My computer is not upstairs so the papers go into a pile for me to "process" later...hoping to get to it later in the day, but some times they pile up for a few days. So "later" I take the stack and enter in what the payments were (being careful to enter the right amounts AND the right date so it is recorded correctly for tax purposes) into SuperInn and then I can actually click the button that says "check out"

Back