SuperInn Wishlist

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been with them many years and have inquired about for a long time. To my knowledge they are the only reservation system that does not hold any of the cc info. Sidenote: I do like the update today on checkin & check out colors on the chart..
Landmark said:
I have been with them many years and have inquired about for a long time. To my knowledge they are the only reservation system that does not hold any of the cc info. Sidenote: I do like the update today on checkin & check out colors on the chart.
I'm confused by what you mean by they don't hold the credit card info. How don't they hold the info? And what chart colors are you talking about?
At the moment whether a resv is made online or manualy entered you retain all the cc info in your system. What I understand is that when you ask them to cut on the cc processing part of the system. They will wipe out all your cc info that you currently have on your guests (no choice). A gateway with Authorize.net will have to be established to connect si with your processor. So when a pending comes in, the resv has already charged them what ever amount or settings you established. Again, you have no cc info on the si system except the last 4 digits. Then when the guest shows up you can charge them the balance by re-entering the cc info when the guest hand you, but again after you charged them the cc info is no longer stored in the si system except in history the last 4 digits. In the case where you charge them x # of days out you don't have any cc info available to you. The only way to have any of the cc info is if you log into your Authorize.net account and charge them that way.
I am do my best to explain my understanding of how it works. Hoping somebody is using this feature to perhaps correct me if I am wrong because at the moment it does not seem that it will work for me.
Bree my availability chart was updated to reflect a different color when you checkin or checkout a guest. Maybe all accounts have not been updated?
Don't get me wrong I like si, just trying to find someone who currently uses si for cc processing, hopefully to verify or correct me. Thanx
OK, ask and you shall receive...I see the new color bar at the bottom of the calendar page. And it works like a charm...I can go back and see which guests I missed checking out! Wowee, that used to take some effort to figure out.
Bree that is correct different colors for checkins & checkouts, but pendings are the same and others are same.
I just used it to go back thru the year and see who I forgot to checkout. Works great!
Bree said:
I just used it to go back thru the year and see who I forgot to checkout. Works great!
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm trying to follow along as we may need to choose and learn how to use one of these programs soon...
What do you mean by "checkout"? I hope you didn't forget to charge them!
I can't speak for Bree, but here is an example of what happens for me.
When a guest checks in, I usually have them pay for their balance when they arrive (saves confusion on checkout day). So while they are in our kitchen/livingroom/diningroom I run their card through the cc machine in our kitchen. Then I staple our copy of the receipt to our copy of the check-in form that they sign (generated and printed from SuperInn). The processing of the payment is separate from SuperInn (at least until they add payment as a feature) SuperInn (at the moment) is just for record keeping. My computer is not upstairs so the papers go into a pile for me to "process" later...hoping to get to it later in the day, but some times they pile up for a few days. So "later" I take the stack and enter in what the payments were (being careful to enter the right amounts AND the right date so it is recorded correctly for tax purposes) into SuperInn and then I can actually click the button that says "check out"
I see. So it's mainly payment data reconciliation. That's what I figured, but thanks for the detailed clarification! The step-by-step helps me visualize the process.
So it sounds like an integrated cc-processing feature in a reservation software like webervations or superinn would take out the step of having to type your cc receipts back into superinn once a day. That sounds like a pretty big deal to me.

I have been with them many years and have inquired about for a long time. To my knowledge they are the only reservation system that does not hold any of the cc info. Sidenote: I do like the update today on checkin & check out colors on the chart..
Landmark said:
I have been with them many years and have inquired about for a long time. To my knowledge they are the only reservation system that does not hold any of the cc info. Sidenote: I do like the update today on checkin & check out colors on the chart.
I'm confused by what you mean by they don't hold the credit card info. How don't they hold the info? And what chart colors are you talking about?
At the moment whether a resv is made online or manualy entered you retain all the cc info in your system. What I understand is that when you ask them to cut on the cc processing part of the system. They will wipe out all your cc info that you currently have on your guests (no choice). A gateway with Authorize.net will have to be established to connect si with your processor. So when a pending comes in, the resv has already charged them what ever amount or settings you established. Again, you have no cc info on the si system except the last 4 digits. Then when the guest shows up you can charge them the balance by re-entering the cc info when the guest hand you, but again after you charged them the cc info is no longer stored in the si system except in history the last 4 digits. In the case where you charge them x # of days out you don't have any cc info available to you. The only way to have any of the cc info is if you log into your Authorize.net account and charge them that way.
I am do my best to explain my understanding of how it works. Hoping somebody is using this feature to perhaps correct me if I am wrong because at the moment it does not seem that it will work for me.
Bree my availability chart was updated to reflect a different color when you checkin or checkout a guest. Maybe all accounts have not been updated?
Don't get me wrong I like si, just trying to find someone who currently uses si for cc processing, hopefully to verify or correct me. Thanx
OK, ask and you shall receive...I see the new color bar at the bottom of the calendar page. And it works like a charm...I can go back and see which guests I missed checking out! Wowee, that used to take some effort to figure out.
Bree that is correct different colors for checkins & checkouts, but pendings are the same and others are same.
Bree said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm trying to follow along as we may need to choose and learn how to use one of these programs soon...
I can't speak for Bree, but here is an example of what happens for me.
When a guest checks in, I usually have them pay for their balance when they arrive (saves confusion on checkout day). So while they are in our kitchen/livingroom/diningroom I run their card through the cc machine in our kitchen. Then I staple our copy of the receipt to our copy of the check-in form that they sign (generated and printed from SuperInn). The processing of the payment is separate from SuperInn (at least until they add payment as a feature) SuperInn (at the moment) is just for record keeping. My computer is not upstairs so the papers go into a pile for me to "process" later...hoping to get to it later in the day, but some times they pile up for a few days. So "later" I take the stack and enter in what the payments were (being careful to enter the right amounts AND the right date so it is recorded correctly for tax purposes) into SuperInn and then I can actually click the button that says "check out"
I see. So it's mainly payment data reconciliation. That's what I figured, but thanks for the detailed clarification! The step-by-step helps me visualize the process.
So it sounds like an integrated cc-processing feature in a reservation software like webervations or superinn would take out the step of having to type your cc receipts back into superinn once a day. That sounds like a pretty big deal to me.
Integrated cc processing has the potential to save a lot of time and effort. The drawback, as landmark pointed out, is that the method used may not be exactly what each innkeeper wants.
It is imporant to keep in mind though that SuperInn is both a reservation system and a guest management system. While Webervations is only a reservation system, but it can be used in conjunction with other guest management systems.

Landmark said:
Bree said:
stephanie said:
Bree said:
I don't use all the features...I do not do a 'check-in' for example. The guests have a reservation and when they leave, I do a check-out. I skip the middle step. So, no worries, I didn't forget to charge them!
I do a similar process to Swirt...guest arrives, I take their card and swipe it for the total of their stay (I don't do deposits). I have them sign the cc receipt and the registration form and staple one to the other, giving guest their copy of the cc receipt. Like Swirt, everything may or may not get done the next day or even the next couple fo days. Like today, I just went back and did all the check-outs for last weekend (and the ones I missed from the summer!)
Then I hand the sheets off to hubs who enters the data into QuickBooks from which he will pay the bills like the state lodging/sales taxes.

Landmark said:
Bree said:
Ugh, and here I was thinking B&Bs were all french toast, coffee and terrycloth robes! (JUST KIDDING)
Thanks for your responses Bree and Swirt. That makes a lot of sense. I do like to minimize the number of times I have to input data, so SuperInn sounds great, especially if they're adding cc processing.
Too much room for error with so much data entry. Besides, I'm trying to get AWAY from my desk job!
Anyway, thanks for all the info on this and other threads, too. I'm soaking up as much as possible!

Landmark said:
Bree said:
Ugh, and here I was thinking B&Bs were all french toast, coffee and terrycloth robes! (JUST KIDDING)
Thanks for your responses Bree and Swirt. That makes a lot of sense. I do like to minimize the number of times I have to input data, so SuperInn sounds great, especially if they're adding cc processing.
Too much room for error with so much data entry. Besides, I'm trying to get AWAY from my desk job!
Anyway, thanks for all the info on this and other threads, too. I'm soaking up as much as possible!
In fairness to John (who'll get smacked with a wet noodle for saying this, so I will say it) If you are looking to have the software do most of the work for you, including pulling all payments and stuff into quickbooks, it would be a good idea for you to check out Rezovation GT in combination with the online booking engine they offer. It really is a great system for lightening the innkeeper load, and it already does the cc processing through Quickbooks.

Landmark said:
Bree said:
In fairness to John (who'll get smacked with a wet noodle for saying this, so I will say it) If you are looking to have the software do most of the work for you, including pulling all payments and stuff into quickbooks, it would be a good idea for you to check out Rezovation GT in combination with the online booking engine they offer. It really is a great system for lightening the innkeeper load, and it already does the cc processing through Quickbooks.
I'd like to know what people's opinions are about having one program have that much "power". Does the fear of it being TOO all-inclusive bother anyone? I am not an innkeeper, but I feel that I would rather keep some things separate to minimize the risk of losing it all.
Does that make sense?
I am looking at this RezoGT that seems (from what I've read) to do it ALL. Where is the back-up? Where is the security that you are still in control of your own information and someone else isn't?
Am I looking at this wrong?

Landmark said:
Bree said:
I'd like to know what people's opinions are about having one program have that much "power". Does the fear of it being TOO all-inclusive bother anyone? I am not an innkeeper, but I feel that I would rather keep some things separate to minimize the risk of losing it all.
Does that make sense?
I am looking at this RezoGT that seems (from what I've read) to do it ALL. Where is the back-up? Where is the security that you are still in control of your own information and someone else isn't?
Am I looking at this wrong?
I look at it from the point of view that every time I have to type something in, there is one more chance I am going to screw it up. I have to read the cc number from the reservation request correctly, enter it on the cc terminal correctly, record the payment in SuperInn correctly. That's a fair number of places for error. With direct proccessing, that chance is greatly reduced.
Since I'd like to keep this particular thread about SuperInn, I'd prefer that you start a new thread to ask questions specific to RezOvation. (That will also give John some more latitude to answer your questions without having to get noodle lashed for tromping on a competitor's product discussion.) ;)

I agree about that. Which is why I prefer someone to book online than to call me and get a bad connection, my phone beeps with caller id, plus their accent or softness of speech can throw me.
Music lessons tonight with Dane Smith. Of course his name is not Dane, his name is Dean. Around here they say Dane. I had a cousin Dane, so I figured it must be his name.
USER ERROR. Online rez is the way to go!
I am watching all of these discussions carefully. If your internet connection is iffy, or has latency like mine did all last week, I would hate to have all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. But it seems to be the way it is going. I just hate putting too much money into something when what I has works fine. For now.

how much is superinn? depending on rooms?.
It is room dependent. For three rooms it costs us $40 per month.
swirt said:
Funny I went to the website and could not locate a price anywhere - ugh. BUGS ME
I agree it's silly to not offer a pricing info. I think they hope to hook you on the free 3 month setup.

swirt said:
Funny I went to the website and could not locate a price anywhere - ugh. BUGS ME
Yes, I looked at it several times for clients. When I do not see a price listed it makes me very dubious. I see no reason why they cannot put "suggested pricing" based on number of rooms and then give an amount. It doesn't seem right to me when they make you call them..of course..so they can 'sell it" to you.

swirt said:
Yes, I looked at it several times for clients. When I do not see a price listed it makes me very dubious. I see no reason why they cannot put "suggested pricing" based on number of rooms and then give an amount. It doesn't seem right to me when they make you call them..of course..so they can 'sell it" to you.
I agree. When I was comparison shopping for reservation systems, I didn't even bother with anyone who didn't post their prices or made me work to hard for it. I figured it was as the old saying goes... if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

swirt said:
So that would be an additional feature request for SuperInn
  • Visible pricing structure
I think we could divine out what it is between the members on the forum that use it.
I think the formula is something like
Total cost = $10 + $10 x #Rooms
So for 3 rooms it is $40
@Bree does this fit what you pay?

swirt said:
I think we could divine out what it is between the members on the forum that use it.
So for 3 rooms it is $40
My friend has 3 rooms and she pays $60 a month.

swirt said:
So for 3 rooms it is $40
My friend has 3 rooms and she pays $60 a month.
Did they sign up recently so maybe have a higher cost? I have clients that I know pay $60 but they have more than 3 rooms.

See all of these high costs are scaring me away!
I will end up with a basic no frills online booking service. I don't want frills, I want simple. See it - book it. Don't care about all the fancy schmancy extras.

I will end up with a basic no frills online booking service. I don't want frills, I want simple. See it - book it. Don't care about all the fancy schmancy extras..
It always comes down to what you need and want. (not trying to push any particular product)
One of the bigger determining factors for me comes to paying quarterly occupancy tax and sales tax. How long would you say you spend figuring out what you owe?
With SuperInn it takes me less than 10 minutes.
When I am fuzzy on some of the details about a return guest, it takes me seconds to refresh my memory.
These kinds of things are important to me and they are time savers...and since I also work by the hour, time is money. :)

I will end up with a basic no frills online booking service. I don't want frills, I want simple. See it - book it. Don't care about all the fancy schmancy extras..
It always comes down to what you need and want. (not trying to push any particular product)
One of the bigger determining factors for me comes to paying quarterly occupancy tax and sales tax. How long would you say you spend figuring out what you owe?
When I am fuzzy on some of the details about a return guest, it takes me seconds to refresh my memory.
These kinds of things are important to me and they are time savers...and since I also work by the hour, time is money. :)
swirt said:
I have to pay these taxes monthly. Which I need to work on today at some point. I already have a guest mgmt software I us (guestall) , so I print the reports and bob's yer uncle. But if there is something comprehensive that meets all these requirements, I am always open to hear about it. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but if the wheels are already rolling...this is a good place (the forum) to discuss their features and costs.

Back