Surprise! B B Online at it this time!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Have you searched bbonline lately? Not just looking at your listing but searching for a b&b?
They now have google sponsored ads on the city pages, that look very simular to the B&B listings. Not just the banners at the top - which could also distract people from the site.
Some of these ads will be for areas on the other side of the country but I also found some that had a sponsored ad in cities near by. These ads may rotate (most of them do) so you can not be for certain what ad will appear on your city's listing.
Here is an example: Did a search for Helen GA - Ads appeared: Hotels in Helen GA; Hotels in Dahlonega GA (40 minutes away); and a large ad for a resort in Cabo San Lucas, then there was the banner for Timesh ares by owner .com
I clicked a link and it left bbonline.... not good! NO new window, left the site! We as small business owners we even know not to do this!!!!
When I did used the back button on my browser, the ads did change but still for cities very close by... The banner changed to - price line dot com - of all places! And the large ad at the bottom was for a hotel in Helen GA..... One thing that did not change in this large ad (appears at the bottom of the page) was the picture. I sure as heck do not think that the Eco no Lodge would look like the resort in Cabo San Lucas, and I was fairly certain the house shown was not the resort in the first place.

I don't allow ads to show when I'm online so this was a surprise to me. All ads on my local page were for Hawaii. Not at all happy about this. Doesn't bbonline make enough money from our payments to STOP this
potty-mouth.gif
nonsense?
I just renewed and now I wonder why I bother when almost every guest says they found me on TA or Google maps. If it keeps up the directories will be history. If they are getting supported by Google ads, I'll just take out a Google ad and forget the yearly membership and still show up on their site.
Not only are they now leading guests away from the places they started to look at, but with the blogs we're writing for them, they are getting free content as well.

I don't allow ads to show when I'm online so this was a surprise to me. All ads on my local page were for Hawaii. Not at all happy about this. Doesn't bbonline make enough money from our payments to STOP this
potty-mouth.gif
nonsense?
I just renewed and now I wonder why I bother when almost every guest says they found me on TA or Google maps. If it keeps up the directories will be history. If they are getting supported by Google ads, I'll just take out a Google ad and forget the yearly membership and still show up on their site.
Not only are they now leading guests away from the places they started to look at, but with the blogs we're writing for them, they are getting free content as well..
The ones I see when I looked at your city had one in a neighboring town, an ad for coupons in my area, and an inn that had no address - clicked on it, and it was in Idaho.... but I had left bbonline in the process.
If I was really searching for an inn in your area and I was 1) booted off of the site I was searching 2) went to an inn website that was no where near where I wanted to go I would NOT go back to that site, I would find another way to search.
There area still way too many people that would not hit the back button in their browser.

potty-mouth.gif
nonsense?
Not only are they now leading guests away from the places they started to look at, but with the blogs we're writing for them, they are getting free content as well..
The ones I see when I looked at your city had one in a neighboring town, an ad for coupons in my area, and an inn that had no address - clicked on it, and it was in Idaho.... but I had left bbonline in the process.
If I was really searching for an inn in your area and I was 1) booted off of the site I was searching 2) went to an inn website that was no where near where I wanted to go I would NOT go back to that site, I would find another way to search.
There area still way too many people that would not hit the back button in their browser.
Right, it didn't even open a separate window. I gave up trying to get back to where I was. So, essentially it diminishes the number of click-thrus to my site from bbonline because guests will give up if they get distracted. And if I don't see the clicks, I drop the directory.
Just looking quickly, clicks from Google to my site are 10 to 1 more than the clicks from bbonline. And the bounce rate is lower.

OK, not to insult those from NO, but when I looked for a B&B in New Orleans, I got a PBS ad for 'Law & Disorder' a Frontline show about NO. NOT what a tourist wants to see.

Do you have to be allowing pop-ups to see them? I see the banner at the top, but no other ads - but I think I have pop-up blocker on.

OK, not to insult those from NO, but when I looked for a B&B in New Orleans, I got a PBS ad for 'Law & Disorder' a Frontline show about NO. NOT what a tourist wants to see..
Morticia said:
OK, not to insult those from NO, but when I looked for a B&B in New Orleans, I got a PBS ad for 'Law & Disorder' a Frontline show about NO. NOT what a tourist wants to see.
Well then with ads like that, they will be more likely to stay focused....
wink_smile.gif

But given that each time I searched I saw different ads, this too will change.

Do you have to be allowing pop-ups to see them? I see the banner at the top, but no other ads - but I think I have pop-up blocker on..
Could be your problem, I think Mort could not see them due to the same.
When I looked up your city, the ads were for Mountain State Univ. Hampton hotels & for Helena Inn (no area on the ad)

Do you have to be allowing pop-ups to see them? I see the banner at the top, but no other ads - but I think I have pop-up blocker on..
Could be your problem, I think Mort could not see them due to the same.
When I looked up your city, the ads were for Mountain State Univ. Hampton hotels & for Helena Inn (no area on the ad)
I turned it off and tried again and saw nothing other than the banner at the top - for p-line and also for coupons in the metro area in the State north of me.

potty-mouth.gif
nonsense?
We dropped BB last year and will not renew with BedandBreakfast when our year is up. The combined money will more than cover T A for a good years trial. Majority of our guests find us on Google and T A, so we figured we'd give up and join the Gorilla and see what happens. We are tired of the games being played with the online directories - and to tell you the truth, we are starting to see less and less traffic genertated from them. One of the reasons we stayed with B&B this long was for the Exp*dia link, but they now allow us to joindirectly , thus bypassing B&B.

potty-mouth.gif
nonsense?
We dropped BB last year and will not renew with BedandBreakfast when our year is up. The combined money will more than cover T A for a good years trial. Majority of our guests find us on Google and T A, so we figured we'd give up and join the Gorilla and see what happens. We are tired of the games being played with the online directories - and to tell you the truth, we are starting to see less and less traffic genertated from them. One of the reasons we stayed with B&B this long was for the Exp*dia link, but they now allow us to joindirectly , thus bypassing B&B.
We will stay with bbonline since the cost is low and they show up #1 and #3 on Google when I search backwards and forwards for "Charlottesville B&B".
I get hits from Tripadvisor a lot, but I think they find us first, then go to TA to read reviews, then hit our link there back to book. I don't think TA is where they go to search for an inn.
RIki

potty-mouth.gif
nonsense?
How did you join the big E directly?

potty-mouth.gif
nonsense?
Initially via the other site - but since I want to drop the other site, I contacted them directly. We had been told by the other site that the only way to enroll with the big E was via them. Not true, so big E gave me the partner website by which I could join directly - if you want I can email the URL to you - google scrolls this site way too much

potty-mouth.gif
nonsense?
Initially via the other site - but since I want to drop the other site, I contacted them directly. We had been told by the other site that the only way to enroll with the big E was via them. Not true, so big E gave me the partner website by which I could join directly - if you want I can email the URL to you - google scrolls this site way too much
Yes, please do email.

potty-mouth.gif
nonsense?
Boomer said:
I refuse to go with TA until they put B&Bs on an equal footing with local hotels. It's next to impossible to find my listing on TA and with all the flack they've gotten it's not causing me to rush in to quickly anyway.

potty-mouth.gif
nonsense?
Boomer said:
I refuse to go with TA until they put B&Bs on an equal footing with local hotels. It's next to impossible to find my listing on TA and with all the flack they've gotten it's not causing me to rush in to quickly anyway.
Proud Texan said:
I was unhappy enough before, but now my listing is on the same page as the hotels/motels....just farther down the page. Check your listing, if you haven't lately.
TA looks to be listening, but if I'm going to be on the same page as the hotels, I want to be ranked in order of reviews. Everyone above me on the page has crap for reviews.....WTF are they not getting what we're saying? EQUAL EXPOSURE...ranked by reviews overall...that's what I want.

Little Blue wrote: I was unhappy enough before, but now my listing is on the same page as the hotels/motels....just farther down the page. Check your listing, if you haven't lately. TA looks to be listening, but if I'm going to be on the same page as the hotels, I want to be ranked in order of reviews. Everyone above me on the page has crap for reviews.....WTF are they not getting what we're saying? EQUAL EXPOSURE...ranked by reviews overall...that's what I want.
Well I just checked my listing and if TA is listening....they are not listening with both ears... my listing is now worse than before!!! NOT on the same page as the one and only hotel in my little town, but the pictures of MY B&B are shown above the listing of the plain jane hotel that just opened. I am peeved beyond words.
devil_smile.gif

Back