Survey Monkey

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just took another survey (work related) on Survey Monkey and as usual it was quick and painless. I wanted to suggest this free program for anyone who is thinking of compiling stats/eBook on innkeeping (sorry I could not find that thread!) It is a good way to get some good feedback for our industry.
As innkeepers we could ALSO use this and sent our a "post stay survey" giving those who reply a chance to win a One or Two Night Stay (gift certificate) by entering their names into the drawing, etc etc. You can also embed for free into your website or blog.
Just another tool for your toolbox.
cheers.gif

Want to make sure your survey's a success? Here are five tips from our VP of Methodology, (ignore the rubbish at the start of each of these it was a quick cut n paste)
Dr. Phil Garland, on how to create a great survey.
t.gif

Define Your Objectives
Figure out the decision or decisions you're trying to make to focus your survey.
t.gif

Work Backwards
Once you've set your objectives, determine the data you need to gather in your survey to make your decision.
t.gif

Check for Bias
Make sure you're not asking leading questions. If you need help, check our blog for more from Dr. Garland.
t.gif

Do a Test Drive
Send your survey to friends and colleagues for a test run. They'll help make sure your questions and response options are understandable and all your survey logic works.
t.gif

Collect Results and Analyze Data

You can also add rewards like enter to win, or coupons.
Add a Reward to Your Survey
[FONT=&quot]Set Up Your Coupon[/FONT]
Reward respondents with a custom coupon for your product or service. You design the coupon. We display it after someone completes your survey. People may share your coupon, so make sure you read the coupon guidelines first! Learn more »
ie spend $50 get 10% off,
$15 off toward your stay
etc

Results from the survey (I am sharing the top TWO answers to each question, you can get graphs and pie charts on the paid version if you wish) - - 38 surveys completed:
Breakfast the "second B" at a Bed and Breakfast
1. How important is the Second B when staying at a Bed and Breakfast?
Extremely Important 60.5%
Important 26.3%
2. What sort of breakfast do you prefer when you stay at a B&B?
Full hot breakfast - plated and served to me 71.1%
Full hot breakfast - served buffet style for me to choose 18.4%
3. What about breakfast time? Do you prefer
An open breakfast time (such as 7am to 10am and I can wander in at my leisure) 44.7%
A set breakfast time frame (such as 8 am to 9 am short and sweet I show up and am fed) 21.1%
4. What sort of breakfast is your favorite while on vacation/a getaway?
Savory and Sweet (a blend of flavorful meatie dish and sweetness - such as bacon and waffles) 59.5%
Savory (something served hot and flavorful - meaty but not spicy - such as a sausage casserole)16.2%
5. What about egg dishes?
I prefer eggs in any form (as long as they are cooked properly and served hot) 71.1%
I prefer eggs only if they are accompanied by bacon! 10.5%
6. Breakfast is complimentary, so it should be...
Essential to the inn experience, something to look forward to and memorable 68.4%
A big part of the B&B stay (one of the main reasons I choose a B&B) 36.8%
7. Breakfast Food Options
Cook's Choice (I know it will be delicious!) 42.1%
I prefer to have at least an A or B breakfast option (scrambled eggs with bacon or waffles today) 36.8%
8. If breakfast delivered to your room was an option
I do not like to eat in my room, prefer the dining room table 44.7%
I would enjoy the choice of dining room or delivered 28.9%
9. Any other comments or feedback on "the Other B" please feel free to share them here:
  • You can't underestimate how important a good breakfast is.
  • I prefer to eat in the dining room but like to have individual tables. If Breakfast wasn't offered I would stay at a hotel.
  • filled out by european innkeeper, probably not representative for your market.......
  • It amazes me how many people call their place a B&B and then send you down the street for a meal.
  • Took me a moment to realize I had to scroll down to find the survey questions. Also took a moment to realize I can mark more than one choice per question.
  • Great coffee makes the breakfast even better! But let me have it ahead of breakfast, so I can enjoy it.
38 surveys completed
165 pageviews of the survey on the blog, plus hundreds more on Twitter and Facebook

Speaking of Survey Monkey as it relates to B&Bs, we use surveys for the few guests who may not have had a good stay. Instead of asking them to review on Trip Advisor, we send them a survey asking for suggestions. This allows them to vent (and even feel constructive) without damaging our reputation in public. The surveys also are great to see how we can improve or (the best, and also the most difficult survey answers to get) why they did not book with us.
Matt is author of the Marketing Bed and Breakfast report, free and inexpensive ways to increase occupancy and revenue.

Back