SWA - Small World Alert

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Not anything super amazing or jaw dropping, but the guests this morning told me a few things. He is in his late 60's to early 70's lives in another state. He used to come here (to our B&B) when this was a medical office as a child/young teen. He was not sure at first, but we have our off street parking deeded with the medical company name, so that confirmed it for him. I knew it had been a Dr's office, but was able to confirm as it did move up the block a few houses after it left here, into the 1970's.
He told me plenty of interesting facts, there is a conference/retreat center out past our land that was a Methodist school for mountain children, his mother attended as a child. He also told me a spot on our largest lake where a little country store sits - submerged. There are a few cabins, farms down there, but I didn't know where exactly this store sat. It is 180 feet down, under the bridge at the lake.
I told him about the book I blogged about which he would be interested in reading, as his father was also a bootlegger. He told me of all the homes on a certain road built with money from moonshine (we have friends who live in one of them).
And I have to tell those in VA in case they do not know this - totally off header subject - from the same blog article:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 0, 0)]News Break: HISTORY IN THE MAKING - Due to an amendment in the state law, it is now legal to buy moonshine in the state of Virginia. This is the first time the state has ever allowed it. Nowhere near The B&B House, but about 3 hours North of us up Interstat 81 you can see a live copper distillery and sample some corn whiskey yourself. Click here for Virginia Moonshine at Belmont Farms in Culpeper VA. [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(51, 0, 0)]This is not too far from Charlottsville in case your guests are interested. I know ya'll think this odd, but this is a part of our history in the USA and guests love this stuff! Overseas visitors want to go to these places and see all this historical stuff.[/COLOR]

I knew that they make the liquor in Culpeper only because there are some wineries here that make a dessert wine by taking some of the Chardonnay or Viognier wine up to them to make into brandy, and then they re-introduce it into the regular Chardonnay or viognier to make a sweet higher alcohol dessert wine. It's yummy in a tiny glass as dessert after a meal. Or they make drinks with it, combining it with club soda and other mixes.
I also think that they have renovated and reopened the burbon facility where Washington used to make burbon. I guess it's at his home estate in Mount Vernon?
Riki

Thanks folks!
These are great tips (and just up the road from Charlottesville). I'm definitely heading to Culpeper in the Spring.
Zach

Thanks folks!
These are great tips (and just up the road from Charlottesville). I'm definitely heading to Culpeper in the Spring.
Zach.
innshopper said:
Thanks folks!
Zach
You hound. ha ha

Curses! Foiled again!!
I discovered when posting about the Moonshine being legal in WV that the Mountain Moonshine is in my backyard. So I e-mailed asking if they do tours. He called me today to tell me he does not but if he does do a special tour will notify me a couple months in advance so I can post it on my site. He said another winery to the north of me has a distiller license and does do tours. I will have to talk to them again. Last time I tried to talk to that winery, they basically blew me off. The winery to the south jumped at the chance to partner with me. Now if the other one makes Shine also...... might be worth trying to talk to them again......

Curses! Foiled again!!
I discovered when posting about the Moonshine being legal in WV that the Mountain Moonshine is in my backyard. So I e-mailed asking if they do tours. He called me today to tell me he does not but if he does do a special tour will notify me a couple months in advance so I can post it on my site. He said another winery to the north of me has a distiller license and does do tours. I will have to talk to them again. Last time I tried to talk to that winery, they basically blew me off. The winery to the south jumped at the chance to partner with me. Now if the other one makes Shine also...... might be worth trying to talk to them again.......
I can't believe the winery would not talk to you! I wonder if they would change their tune right now with the recession going on. Our wineries love when we bring people who spend up to $250 purchasing their wine.
Riki

Curses! Foiled again!!
I discovered when posting about the Moonshine being legal in WV that the Mountain Moonshine is in my backyard. So I e-mailed asking if they do tours. He called me today to tell me he does not but if he does do a special tour will notify me a couple months in advance so I can post it on my site. He said another winery to the north of me has a distiller license and does do tours. I will have to talk to them again. Last time I tried to talk to that winery, they basically blew me off. The winery to the south jumped at the chance to partner with me. Now if the other one makes Shine also...... might be worth trying to talk to them again.......
I can't believe the winery would not talk to you! I wonder if they would change their tune right now with the recession going on. Our wineries love when we bring people who spend up to $250 purchasing their wine.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
I find it very odd when a business won't consider working with another business to bring in more business for both of them. But it happens regularly here. We're told the other business has all the business they need without teaming up with us. Good for them.

Curses! Foiled again!!
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
I find it very odd when a business won't consider working with another business to bring in more business for both of them. But it happens regularly here. We're told the other business has all the business they need without teaming up with us. Good for them.
With the economy in the toilet like it is and predictions of it getting worse before it gets better, businesses like that will not be around for long anyway.
RIki

Curses! Foiled again!!
Riki
This was the winery to the north of me. At the time there were several B & Bd closer than me - whether they were working with them or not, I do not know. All I know is I felt "brushed-off". However, the winery south of me jumped at the chance - he actually knew I was sending him business before I met him and thanked me. It was a couple years later that I called and said, the Bike N Berry is no longer because the berry farm stopped tours can I offer it as Bike N Winery. The immediate answer was a resounding yes. A call back to the perspective guest said yes to the switch and we were in business!

K, north of you or in another county? We have wineries in other counties who will only work with those right there in their own counties, which is foolish since many of our guests go there!

K, north of you or in another county? We have wineries in other counties who will only work with those right there in their own counties, which is foolish since many of our guests go there!.
Whaaa???? Only work with those in their own counties? Are they just plain rich and don't need to make money or what??????
Riki

K, north of you or in another county? We have wineries in other counties who will only work with those right there in their own counties, which is foolish since many of our guests go there!.
Both. I am 2 counties south. The other winery is 1 county south of me. The county lines do not make a difference here. I think they just could not imagine a very small B & B in Podunk would be able to help THEM. I think they thought they would be giving me the blessing of their helping hand and they were too busy to bother. The other winery had already seen that I sent business. I had to the other one also, but they either did not know or did not care. Trust me, if another business here suggests working together, I listen and consider. That is how I got into the overnight stabling.
"Hey, Kathleen, did you know my boy is trying to start a stable?" Response was how much per horse per night? I did not even find out exactly where the stable was (knew general vicinity) until we had our first horses coming in!

Small world alert - glad I found this thread:
I just got a webers from a couple who live in the exact town I lived in when I first got married and on a street I used to walk down every single day - this was 21 years ago - on another continent. Chances of this are needle in a haystack kinda stuff.
I remember going down that road late one evening with spouse and Bob the Tasmanian after spending time at the pub and ordering a late night pizza and it was the best pizza I had ever had in my life, later Bob the Tasmanian told me he ordered it on the sly with anchovies! He knew I would never try it willingly, and I will never forget how great that pizza was!
I am in a whirl of memories right now. We moved into that flat when we got married on the 4th floor - up all those stairs - we had to buy a fridge and a washer (no dryers there - hang out your laundry- yes 4 flights down and back up each time). Always a good reminder isn't it, I mention this to guests all the time - like this morning here for their 19th annviersary - are we happier now? Now that we have "STUFF?" Were we quite content to scrimp and save and get by back then? To catch the train, the walk up 4 flights of stairs?
Sure we were young, but weren't things simpler? Man I feel like crying...signing off now. HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Small world alert - glad I found this thread:
I just got a webers from a couple who live in the exact town I lived in when I first got married and on a street I used to walk down every single day - this was 21 years ago - on another continent. Chances of this are needle in a haystack kinda stuff.
I remember going down that road late one evening with spouse and Bob the Tasmanian after spending time at the pub and ordering a late night pizza and it was the best pizza I had ever had in my life, later Bob the Tasmanian told me he ordered it on the sly with anchovies! He knew I would never try it willingly, and I will never forget how great that pizza was!
I am in a whirl of memories right now. We moved into that flat when we got married on the 4th floor - up all those stairs - we had to buy a fridge and a washer (no dryers there - hang out your laundry- yes 4 flights down and back up each time). Always a good reminder isn't it, I mention this to guests all the time - like this morning here for their 19th annviersary - are we happier now? Now that we have "STUFF?" Were we quite content to scrimp and save and get by back then? To catch the train, the walk up 4 flights of stairs?
Sure we were young, but weren't things simpler? Man I feel like crying...signing off now. HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!.
You can get a lot of that feeling back...stop buying 'stuff,' get rid of 'stuff,' turn off the electronics and go for a walk. I'll bet you had that feeling playing in the snow the other day...

Back