Sweet Biscuits & Gravy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Nein

Reaction score
I was brainstorming today about a new recipe. Kinda a twist on strawberry shortcakes. I've been trying several different biscuit recipes trying to develop just the right one to be proud of and thought about putting fruit and sugar in it. Like folding frozen strawberry chunks in it. After baking, splitting it and pouring some sort of sweet gravy over it. I can't get my head away from a white gravy (that's what goes on biscuits, right?). Not sure a full-blown strawberry syrup is the right answer, though it might be. Maybe a sweet yogurt sauce with fresh strawberry slices on top. Should the "gravy" be warm on the warm biscuit?
Whatcha think? Got any suggestions?

My first thought is what is the protein? Working off that, I think about fruits and concepts that work with proteins. We all know turkey with cranberries and spice. We make a homemade turkey breast sausage that I could almost see going with a strawberry compote and biscuits.

I'm not from your neck of the woods so I don't associate biscuits with gravy! I wouldn't be wedded to the gravy idea because of that.
While I think your idea sounds fun, how will that go over when you set it in front of someone whose taste buds are expecting "Gravy" but then taste "sweet? "
However, it's definitely worth a try!

LOVE biscuits and gravy. I'm always looking for sweet ideas because my norm is savory. I'm thinking that the "gravy" could be a white chocolate base with poppy seeds to give that cracked black pepper effect that is so essential to any biscuit gravy.

Sweet potato biscuit. Turkey-sage sausage. Cranberry-apple compote.
I may have to play around with that idea....sounds like it has a lot of possibilities.

Sweet biscuits and gravy is called a cinnamon roll.
shades_smile.gif

Sweet potato biscuit. Turkey-sage sausage. Cranberry-apple compote.
I may have to play around with that idea....sounds like it has a lot of possibilities..
That sounds interesting! Never done a compote before, will have to look that up.

LOVE biscuits and gravy. I'm always looking for sweet ideas because my norm is savory. I'm thinking that the "gravy" could be a white chocolate base with poppy seeds to give that cracked black pepper effect that is so essential to any biscuit gravy..
Oh, that sounds very yummy. Didn't think of chocolate! Great direction, thanks!

I'm not from your neck of the woods so I don't associate biscuits with gravy! I wouldn't be wedded to the gravy idea because of that.
While I think your idea sounds fun, how will that go over when you set it in front of someone whose taste buds are expecting "Gravy" but then taste "sweet? "
However, it's definitely worth a try!.
Biscuits & Gravy is a big deal in the south. I make an excellent homemade gravy that guests swoon for. I would definitely let them know that it's a sweet take on it. It would be cruel to trick them into thinking otherwise. I think I'd get some bad reviews from that (and I might not blame them!)

My first thought is what is the protein? Working off that, I think about fruits and concepts that work with proteins. We all know turkey with cranberries and spice. We make a homemade turkey breast sausage that I could almost see going with a strawberry compote and biscuits..
You and SM101 are on the same page with that. I usually serve bacon with my sweet dishes, but I'm not convinced that would work beside this. Will have to think more about it.

Can I just say that whenever I see this topic in the list I read it like this: "sweet biscuits and gravy!" (Kind of like "bless his pointy little head!")

Being 100% honest, if it looks like biscuits and gravy... I'm not even sure I would try it. I can't get past the gravy. Don't mind the biscuits part, if there is nothing else around, but gravy on bread... not my kind of thing, especially white gravy.

My first thought is what is the protein? Working off that, I think about fruits and concepts that work with proteins. We all know turkey with cranberries and spice. We make a homemade turkey breast sausage that I could almost see going with a strawberry compote and biscuits..
You and SM101 are on the same page with that. I usually serve bacon with my sweet dishes, but I'm not convinced that would work beside this. Will have to think more about it.
Here's a savory and healthy thought: Strawberry Basil Sauce. This can run a couple of ways IMHO. You can take if into an orange juice base or you can run towards a balsamic base. Both would work with fresh lean turkey sausage. The balsamic would win with bacon.

Here's a savory and healthy thought: Strawberry Basil Sauce. This can run a couple of ways IMHO. You can take if into an orange juice base or you can run towards a balsamic base. Both would work with fresh lean turkey sausage. The balsamic would win with bacon.
I am sorry, but none of this sounds very appealing to me. Guess my food imagination isn't visualizing this whole thing very well.
I can see strawberry biscuits or some other flavor but wouldn't these be like scones? As far as gravy goes over it...not seeing it.
cry_smile.gif

I am sorry, but none of this sounds very appealing to me. Guess my food imagination isn't visualizing this whole thing very well.
I can see strawberry biscuits or some other flavor but wouldn't these be like scones? As far as gravy goes over it...not seeing it.
cry_smile.gif

It would need repeated testing.
lightbulb.gif
Drop the gravy and picture a lighter sauce.
I think of traditional short cake biscuits. Cute, steaming 2 inch biscuits, fork split, with a cute little homemade turkey breast sausage offset in a pyramid shape with 4 ounces of fresh strawberry balsamic basil sauce ladled on top with a couple of basil sprigs to garnish. I could see a little creme fraiche in the mix. Fresh local strawberries, fresh local basil, homemade short cake biscuits, fresh homemade turkey breast sausage.

I do a sweet biscuit and salted caramel drizzle. Went over rather well. But I always try it 3 times then decide whether It is a keeper or not. I am going to try it with a very dark chocolate biscuit with red raspberries then drizzle the salted Carmel sauce over it

Off the topic a bit----do you butter the toast before serving to guests or serve plain? Also what is considered a continental breakfast?

Off the topic a bit----do you butter the toast before serving to guests or serve plain? Also what is considered a continental breakfast?.
charlie may said:
Off the topic a bit----do you butter the toast before serving to guests or serve plain? Also what is considered a continental breakfast?
No butter, no jam. Naked toast.
Continental is generally breads, fruits, cereal and coffee/tea/juice. Maybe some yogurts.

Off the topic a bit----do you butter the toast before serving to guests or serve plain? Also what is considered a continental breakfast?.
charlie may said:
I rarely serve toast - usually each person gets their own loaf - but when I do, it is naked. I have individual domed butter dishes at each bread plate when butter is needed. Maddie answered the Continental question.

Back