Sweet Breakfast Ideas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bread pudding (use day old bread - I always used the leftover French bread from the previous night's dinner) with either chopped peaches or blueberries in it served with yogurt on the side. Baked oatmeal - make it in loaf pans and slice it to serve. It has blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries (out of those today so used dark cherries) in the bottom of the loaf pan that is flipped like upside-down cake to serve. Today I had chopped papaya in it instead of cvhopped dates or plumped raisins. It also gets yogurt on the side.
Baked pineapple toast is a good one for larger groups. Use 9x13 or if you have them sheet cake pans to bake it. I cut my slices of bread in half to make them BP FT sticks. When you flip them to serve, the pineapple,brown sugar, & butter is on top - a sweet breakfast. None of my breakfasts take a lot of time..
I will steal this thread since you mentioned pineapple. Has anyone here tried the recipe where you mix one large can of crushed pineapple with a box of angel food cake mix? That's it...put in a tube pan and bake till done. I am told it is delicious. If you have tried it, let us know. Talk about easy.
EmptyNest said:
I will steal this thread since you mentioned pineapple. Has anyone here tried the recipe where you mix one large can of crushed pineapple with a box of angel food cake mix? That's it...put in a tube pan and bake till done. I am told it is delicious. If you have tried it, let us know. Talk about easy.
I did it with the berries. Let me find a photo (and it was okay...the presentation was lacking, but taste was good) - in the photo below, I would be happier to just have the fruit and cream! Not my favorite, texture was odd, as you can imagine.
lrg_Blueberry%20angel_prep.jpg

Blueberry%20angel_plated.jpg

I hit it at the produce store today for blueberries. Got 8 pints on the lets-get-rid-of shelf for $6. Had to toss the equivalent of about a pint that was not good enough to freeze (or for DH to eat). I love that shelf!!

A long time ago our experts said that Aunt J emima pancake mix was as good as from scratch. I now jazz it up with cinnamon, a little sugar, a handful of pecan pieces and about 2/3 c per 1 cup dry mix of cooked steel cut oatmeal. I bake the pre-cooked sausage links with canned apple pie filling watered down a little with some apple juice. Then you can add a second side of potatoes if you want. Really pretty easy and gets rave reviews..
I like the idea of putting a little oatmeal in it.
Do you put the apple/sausage thing on top or as a side? Are you using the lil' smokies?

Can you cut the portion in half for the stuffed FT? Also, you're making the bread from scratch and it's taking 3 hours? Sorry, that's excessive for something that will be soaked in eggs. Now bread someone is going to eat plain or with jam, sure.
We make our many varieties of FT with either English toasting bread (tastes like an English muffin) or Italian bread. So, if you can do this without slaving over a hot oven baking bread: lemon-blueberry stuffed FT (lemon curd and frozen or fresh blueberries - make a sandwich, dredge in usual FT batter, grill up, slice, top with blueberry sauce, homemade), strawberry & cream cheese (same as above to make), creamsicle - orange marm & cream cheese or baked blueberry FT (you'd have to look up a recipe for that, I can't find it at the moment).
If you have a griddle and don't serve everyone at once our absolute fav right now is orange croissant FT. Orange zest, orange extract and sugar in the FT batter, slice croissants in half, dredge and grill. Serve with thinly sliced orange twist.
Other sweets are pancakes (blueberry and cinnamon swirl)..
Yes, I agree making the bread from scratch was a bit much. But it was so good! I was going for a sturdier bread that would handle the cream cheese spread on it and also was able to make it without a crust which I prefer for a french toast. What brand bread are you using? I don't know of an english toasting bread. Now that I think about it, italian bread is very soft (including the crust) so that would work well sandwiched together...
I love the idea of the creamsicle!
I've seen recipes for the croissants - looks yummy.

Homemade biscuits - with jam are sweet. :) Nothin' gets better than that!
If you have a possible 16 guests, are they all at once? This changes everything. 16 at once, would be served larger prepared items, hashbrown casseroles/frittatas...platters of scrambled eggs, or whatever you make up.
Anything with fruit in it is sweet, imo.
Muffins - do seasonal changes to those, pumpkin, etc.
I don't like sweet breakfasts, I will attest to that here. I don't. Too much for me, I prefer a sweet WITH breakfast.
http://pinterest.com/michaelga/breakfast-in-bed/
Congrats on the occupancy increase! That is totally due to your hard work, great reviews, marketing! Well done..
Joey Bloggs said:
If you have a possible 16 guests, are they all at once? This changes everything. 16 at once, would be served larger prepared items, hashbrown casseroles/frittatas...platters of scrambled eggs, or whatever you make up.
I don't like sweet breakfasts, I will attest to that here. I don't. Too much for me, I prefer a sweet WITH breakfast.
Congrats on the occupancy increase! That is totally due to your hard work, great reviews, marketing! Well done.
I have found over the years that our guests really prefer a savory entree, with sweet(s) around it. I'll do a small individual fruit crisp for fruit sometimes, then make the rest of the breakfast savory with biscuits and that goes over really well. When I do a sweet entree, there is always lots left on their plates.
The sweet teeth stay here! We alternate and guests really like the sweet day.
Madeleine said:
Ya see that is the thing, we have so many one nighters, we can do the same breakfast almost all the time. This weekend we have two three nighters tho. Finally!
We have weeks like that, too. Same breakfast 3-4 days in a row. Simple planning! But boring. And when we have days like that it's always the sweet breakfast that we make. We never make omelets 3-4 days in a row.
Ok, speaking of omelets... I've not done them before at the Inn. Only because I worry about ingredients that people won't eat. So many people have hang-ups about onions, mushrooms, spinach, etc.
What do you put in yours? Do you ask what they want in it?

Congrats on the occupancy increase! That is totally due to your hard work, great reviews, marketing! Well done..
Thank you for the Congrats, JB! Yes, we are glad that our hard work is paying off. Looking forward to getting to a point where we need to hire help!
We try to have a good variety when people stay several nights. We might not strictly alternate savory-sweet-savory, but we do like to put one in there.
All 16 are fed at one time. We have muffins & fruit ready for them when they sit, so as soon as the first few show up we start finishing off the entrees and plating.

We grow apples in our yard so one of my favourites one I use instead of baked apples is ?What ever you want to name it. You can name it your own. This was some thing I came up with one day when I was experimenting.
Peel 1inch of skin from top of apple. Remove the core. Then hollow out apple making sure you leave 3/4 of an inch of flesh all around.
Place apples in a pan or ramkins .
Then whip up cream cheese { about 8oz} whip till creamy and glossy smooth. Add one egg whip till smooth Add.1/4 cup of Maple syrup .real ms! mix well.
Fill apples until just full. Place ramkins in a baking pan and with 1/2 inch of water in the pan. Then sprinkle apples with cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 30 to 40 mins. Then serve IMMEDIATELY. The cheese mixture rises up. This recipe serves 6. You can increase cheese mixture to make double the amount .
If you have any mixture left just freeze it for later use. I usually make a batch of it and freeze till I want to make the apples with creamy cheese again.
The apples I have tried with this are golden delious, sparten ,ginger gold. What ever apple you use make sure it is one that holds it's shape..
That sounds really interesting! I have some cream cheese left over, so I might just try this. Thanks.

http://willowpondbnb.blogspot.com/2013_05_01_archive.html
Our go-to's are Norwegian pancakes (basically a crepe), waffles and cinnamon crisps with fruit salsa. When we need alternate days for longer stays we do Abelskivers with jam, if you got two pans you could make them for days you had less people. I serve three per person, they are filling.. What about a cobbler or crisp with whatever fresh fruit is in season? I do that when I need an alternate. I also make scones (can be made the day before) and serve with whatever preserve I have cooked up or whatever is in season: See my blog for a few photos. I'm happy to share recipes if you are interested...
Also made a mixed fruit Greek yogurt parfait this morning, it went over well, healthy and sweet..:
med_10182_10151441085211237_1178581258_n.jpg
Great ideas. Do you use the fruit salsa & cinnamon crisps as your entree?
What do you put in your crepes?

Okay, I shouldn't give this away, but what the hell....
lemon poppyseed ricotta pancakes which goes so nicely with a syrup based on raspberries... take frozen raspberries, raspberry jam and clear corn syrup and put together and warm in the microwave. Best served as small pancakes. I make 6 of them in a 12" pan.
If you dont' want to do the MS thing, you can use packaged mix (use the complete) but add some ricotta, poppy seeds, the zest of a lemon and a bit of lemon extract. Also, since you added ricotta, you will need to add about 1/2 a tsp of baking soda and baking powder.
You can also do a syrup with blackberries. Don't use maple syrup as maple doesn't go with citrus..
Those pancakes sound divine! I wouldn't mind making them from scratch. And the honey syrup recipe sounds very good too.
I make a strawberry syrup (and have some pre-made in the freezer) - do you think that would taste ok with this?

Our go-to's are Norwegian pancakes (basically a crepe), waffles and cinnamon crisps with fruit salsa. When we need alternate days for longer stays we do Abelskivers with jam, if you got two pans you could make them for days you had less people. I serve three per person, they are filling.. What about a cobbler or crisp with whatever fresh fruit is in season? I do that when I need an alternate. I also make scones (can be made the day before) and serve with whatever preserve I have cooked up or whatever is in season: See my blog for a few photos. I'm happy to share recipes if you are interested...
Also made a mixed fruit Greek yogurt parfait this morning, it went over well, healthy and sweet..:
The salsa and crisps are a side to our vegetarian chorizo and eggs that we serve with Spanish potatoes.
The Norwegian pancakes we serve with whatever is in season and our fallback is usually strawberries with whipped cream. I have served them with a mixed berry sauce, apricot or peach jam, fresh peaches and whipped cream, cooked cinnamon spice apples or pears with whipped cream, just mix it up seasonally...people love them... I make them as large as a plate, so with the filling, one is usually enough with everything else they get (eggs, potatoes, etc.)

The salsa and crisps are a side to our vegetarian chorizo and eggs that we serve with Spanish potatoes.
The Norwegian pancakes we serve with whatever is in season and our fallback is usually strawberries with whipped cream. I have served them with a mixed berry sauce, apricot or peach jam, fresh peaches and whipped cream, cooked cinnamon spice apples or pears with whipped cream, just mix it up seasonally...people love them... I make them as large as a plate, so with the filling, one is usually enough with everything else they get (eggs, potatoes, etc.)
A full batch of Scandinavian style pancakes usually makes about 16 pancakes and the beauty of them is you can hot hold them and even make them the day before, stack them and reheat, they do not lose quality and it saves you time, I have done this occasionally when I knew I wasn't going to have a lot of time in the morning (I have a full time job outside the inn.
omg_smile.gif
)

How many do you need to make at once? Do you have a griddle?.
Yes, we have two griddles. If I'm doing pancakes or french toast, I can do 6 on each one. Full house is 16 people.
K9 said:
Yes, we have two griddles. If I'm doing pancakes or french toast, I can do 6 on each one. Full house is 16 people.
Here is my trick if you want to do french toast en croissants. You can use smaller ones, or the reg size. But you can fit 5-6 on the griddle at once (reg size), so I always cook the BOTTOMS only - first. Then the next round I do all the tops only, and place on the plate and serve (with whatever toppings you choose, and then can vary in season as well, some days I sprinkle chopped pecans over the whole thing too).
Griddles you have are electric or stove top? I ask as that makes a difference in cook time and even heat.

Joey Bloggs said:
Congrats on the occupancy increase! That is totally due to your hard work, great reviews, marketing! Well done.
I have found over the years that our guests really prefer a savory entree, with sweet(s) around it. I'll do a small individual fruit crisp for fruit sometimes, then make the rest of the breakfast savory with biscuits and that goes over really well. When I do a sweet entree, there is always lots left on their plates.
Madeleine said:
Ya see that is the thing, we have so many one nighters, we can do the same breakfast almost all the time. This weekend we have two three nighters tho. Finally!
We have weeks like that, too. Same breakfast 3-4 days in a row. Simple planning! But boring. And when we have days like that it's always the sweet breakfast that we make. We never make omelets 3-4 days in a row.
Ok, speaking of omelets... I've not done them before at the Inn. Only because I worry about ingredients that people won't eat. So many people have hang-ups about onions, mushrooms, spinach, etc.
K9 said:
We generally have mushrooms and tomatoes, but you could have any veggies you want. Yes, I ask. Tell the guests we are having mushroom & tomato omelets and do they want both in their omelet.

lemon poppyseed ricotta pancakes which goes so nicely with a syrup based on raspberries... take frozen raspberries, raspberry jam and clear corn syrup and put together and warm in the microwave. Best served as small pancakes. I make 6 of them in a 12" pan.
If you dont' want to do the MS thing, you can use packaged mix (use the complete) but add some ricotta, poppy seeds, the zest of a lemon and a bit of lemon extract. Also, since you added ricotta, you will need to add about 1/2 a tsp of baking soda and baking powder.
You can also do a syrup with blackberries. Don't use maple syrup as maple doesn't go with citrus..
Those pancakes sound divine! I wouldn't mind making them from scratch. And the honey syrup recipe sounds very good too.
I make a strawberry syrup (and have some pre-made in the freezer) - do you think that would taste ok with this?
Strawberries would be okay, but they will shine with raspberries. Somehow lemon and raspberries go so well together. You could also use blackberries with them. As odd as it sounds, you might want to try a bit of cardamon with strawberries.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
You can also do a syrup with blackberries. Don't use maple syrup as maple doesn't go with citrus.
Oh, those look terrific. Thanks for the recipe.
Has anyone ever put egg whites in a whipper? I have a pro sized stand mixer and I don't want to get it out/use it for just 3 egg whites. I'm wondering if I can use my cream whipper (co2 cartridge) to get the white to whip to a firm peak.

How many do you need to make at once? Do you have a griddle?.
K9 said:
Here is my trick if you want to do french toast en croissants. You can use smaller ones, or the reg size. But you can fit 5-6 on the griddle at once (reg size), so I always cook the BOTTOMS only - first. Then the next round I do all the tops only, and place on the plate and serve (with whatever toppings you choose, and then can vary in season as well, some days I sprinkle chopped pecans over the whole thing too).
Griddles you have are electric or stove top? I ask as that makes a difference in cook time and even heat.
Electric, but they are old. The heat isn't uniform over the whole surface - they are much hotter right over the filament and I have to keep shifting the food & watching it closely (which might always be the case - this is the first time I've used electric griddles). Some mornings I end up with a burnt stripe down the center of my bacon
cry_smile.gif

We grow apples in our yard so one of my favourites one I use instead of baked apples is ?What ever you want to name it. You can name it your own. This was some thing I came up with one day when I was experimenting.
Peel 1inch of skin from top of apple. Remove the core. Then hollow out apple making sure you leave 3/4 of an inch of flesh all around.
Place apples in a pan or ramkins .
Then whip up cream cheese { about 8oz} whip till creamy and glossy smooth. Add one egg whip till smooth Add.1/4 cup of Maple syrup .real ms! mix well.
Fill apples until just full. Place ramkins in a baking pan and with 1/2 inch of water in the pan. Then sprinkle apples with cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 30 to 40 mins. Then serve IMMEDIATELY. The cheese mixture rises up. This recipe serves 6. You can increase cheese mixture to make double the amount .
If you have any mixture left just freeze it for later use. I usually make a batch of it and freeze till I want to make the apples with creamy cheese again.
The apples I have tried with this are golden delious, sparten ,ginger gold. What ever apple you use make sure it is one that holds it's shape..
That sounds really interesting! I have some cream cheese left over, so I might just try this. Thanks.
Any time. I love to share recipes and ideas

A long time ago our experts said that Aunt J emima pancake mix was as good as from scratch. I now jazz it up with cinnamon, a little sugar, a handful of pecan pieces and about 2/3 c per 1 cup dry mix of cooked steel cut oatmeal. I bake the pre-cooked sausage links with canned apple pie filling watered down a little with some apple juice. Then you can add a second side of potatoes if you want. Really pretty easy and gets rave reviews..
I like the idea of putting a little oatmeal in it.
Do you put the apple/sausage thing on top or as a side? Are you using the lil' smokies?
I use it as a side but some of the apples sort of drip on the pancake. Use Bob E vans pre cooked links. Lil smokie s sounds good. Also sometimes put a little BBQ seasoning or sage in the apple pie filling before baking.
Maple syrup also on the table.

I posted one called "waffle apple crisp" awhile ago in the recipe section. It would work for you.

Bread pudding (use day old bread - I always used the leftover French bread from the previous night's dinner) with either chopped peaches or blueberries in it served with yogurt on the side. Baked oatmeal - make it in loaf pans and slice it to serve. It has blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries (out of those today so used dark cherries) in the bottom of the loaf pan that is flipped like upside-down cake to serve. Today I had chopped papaya in it instead of cvhopped dates or plumped raisins. It also gets yogurt on the side.
Baked pineapple toast is a good one for larger groups. Use 9x13 or if you have them sheet cake pans to bake it. I cut my slices of bread in half to make them BP FT sticks. When you flip them to serve, the pineapple,brown sugar, & butter is on top - a sweet breakfast. None of my breakfasts take a lot of time..
Yes I did. It is wonderful and very light . Will make it again.

Back