Sweet breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any subs for Grand Marnier? Unless I have one of those little airline bottles somewhere, I don't want to buy a whole bottle for one recipe..
Use any type of liquer...or not at all..not really needed.Go here for a neat video on crepe making
catlady said:
Use any type of liquer...or not at all..not really needed.Go here for a neat video on crepe making
Sorry, I meant for flavor, what should I sub? Non-alcoholic.
Orange flavoring. You can get orange just like you get vanilla or maple flavor. McCormick should have one.

Any subs for Grand Marnier? Unless I have one of those little airline bottles somewhere, I don't want to buy a whole bottle for one recipe..
Buy some Grand Marnier...it is great in margaritas :p You'll find many uses for it :)

Bree, I was thinking about this thread this morning. I did a sweet breakfast today - with sausage. Was going to do something non-sweet tomorrow, but we have a wedding night and a birthday getaway (both one nighters) the others will be here again. For special ocassions it seems the sweet breakfast is more of a treat (I have found to be the case in this B&B)
For the first course I am going to do strawberries and cream. On it's own, just like that.
Instead of inventing another sweet breakfast, could you do that? Make a sweet starter and call it a sweet breakfast for your file?

Bree, I was thinking about this thread this morning. I did a sweet breakfast today - with sausage. Was going to do something non-sweet tomorrow, but we have a wedding night and a birthday getaway (both one nighters) the others will be here again. For special ocassions it seems the sweet breakfast is more of a treat (I have found to be the case in this B&B)
For the first course I am going to do strawberries and cream. On it's own, just like that.
Instead of inventing another sweet breakfast, could you do that? Make a sweet starter and call it a sweet breakfast for your file?.
That's a typical starter for us. We only do fruit starters. I think we're just going with the apple-ginger french toast even tho I am sick to death of serving it.

Instead of inventing another sweet breakfast, could you do that? Make a sweet starter and call it a sweet breakfast for your file?.
That's a typical starter for us. We only do fruit starters. I think we're just going with the apple-ginger french toast even tho I am sick to death of serving it.
Bree said:
If you did that with the cream and a sweet breakfast it would be sickening sweet. I say this as I just ate a piece of strawberry and cream topped cheesecake. ugh

Bree said:
If you did that with the cream and a sweet breakfast it would be sickening sweet. I say this as I just ate a piece of strawberry and cream topped cheesecake. ugh
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hubs is mad at me because I told him no pineapple for breakfast tomorrow as we have guests from HI and they're not coming all this way to eat pineapple. So who knows what they'll get in the morning. I'm keeping out of it today. I have been planning the menu for 3 weeks now and it has worked most of the time. If he's going to grump at me, he's on his own.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hubs is mad at me because I told him no pineapple for breakfast tomorrow as we have guests from HI and they're not coming all this way to eat pineapple. So who knows what they'll get in the morning. I'm keeping out of it today. I have been planning the menu for 3 weeks now and it has worked most of the time. If he's going to grump at me, he's on his own.
How about doing a bread pudding? I know it's very similar to a baked french toast, but at least it's a bit of variety. Just use cubes of bread (maybe 3/4") instead of slices. Toss the cubes with fresh blueberries, and maybe small diced cream cheese (or white chocolate chunks!), or layer with some preserves to get a strata effect. Soak overnight in an egg/milk batter as you would for baked french toast, and bake the same. Cut in squares to serve. It looks a little different than BFT because the cubes give you nice browned little peaks throughout. Top or serve with blueberry sauce or fresh berries.

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
How about doing a bread pudding? I know it's very similar to a baked french toast, but at least it's a bit of variety. Just use cubes of bread (maybe 3/4") instead of slices. Toss the cubes with fresh blueberries, and maybe small diced cream cheese (or white chocolate chunks!), or layer with some preserves to get a strata effect. Soak overnight in an egg/milk batter as you would for baked french toast, and bake the same. Cut in squares to serve. It looks a little different than BFT because the cubes give you nice browned little peaks throughout. Top or serve with blueberry sauce or fresh berries.
happyjacks said:
OK, I like that one. But, like I said, he griped at me, so he's on his own for tomorrow...I'll stick that in next weekend when he's happy again.

Well, today I served the Stuffed Apple French Toast.....I had to make a double bathch since I had 8 guests.....only one piece remained....the called me a "Magic Chef"..haha
I did change the topping to mixed berries, cooked with a little sugar, a touch of cinnamon and thickener.
They could not get enough of it....usually I have some leftovers on the plates...notta, none, zilch...even the :Toast only: older folks gobbled it all up!!!!
Thanks for posting the recipe Swirt :)

Well, today I served the Stuffed Apple French Toast.....I had to make a double bathch since I had 8 guests.....only one piece remained....the called me a "Magic Chef"..haha
I did change the topping to mixed berries, cooked with a little sugar, a touch of cinnamon and thickener.
They could not get enough of it....usually I have some leftovers on the plates...notta, none, zilch...even the :Toast only: older folks gobbled it all up!!!!
Thanks for posting the recipe Swirt :).
Sure, glad to be of help. Novice question (DW is the cook, not me, I'm just the test stomach) what is thickener? Is that gelatin?

Thanks for posting the recipe Swirt :).
Sure, glad to be of help. Novice question (DW is the cook, not me, I'm just the test stomach) what is thickener? Is that gelatin?
regular_smile.gif
Yep, thickener is my slang word for cornstarch.....or gelatin.

Back