Sweet breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I need a new sweet breakfast. We are serving french toast with fruit on it one day, french toast stuffed with cream cheese and walnuts, topped with apricot sauce on another day (not consecutively). I'm sick of the stuffed french toasts.
This needs to feed 14, so nothing that needs a lot of griddle space (like pancakes). A baked dish would be good, but I'll entertain anything right now. THX.

How about crepes? The crepes can be made in advance and filled at service time with a sweetened fruit & marscapone cheese filling.
Ed

I'm all ears on this one, too. Pancakes, waffles, and french toast pretty much cover the sweet side of breakfast as I know it. I tried crepes one time, and was too time consuming.
I get tired of cooking the same thing, too, but then I have to remember who I'm cooking for and that my guests aren't tired of this. They really look forward to the things like Bananas Foster French Toast, or Apple and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast, while sometimes, I'm just content with a bowl of cold cereal. My guests really look forward to things like this because they are things they don't make at home and can't get at the drive-thru either.

I'm all ears on this one, too. Pancakes, waffles, and french toast pretty much cover the sweet side of breakfast as I know it. I tried crepes one time, and was too time consuming.
I get tired of cooking the same thing, too, but then I have to remember who I'm cooking for and that my guests aren't tired of this. They really look forward to the things like Bananas Foster French Toast, or Apple and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast, while sometimes, I'm just content with a bowl of cold cereal. My guests really look forward to things like this because they are things they don't make at home and can't get at the drive-thru either..
Explain the apple cream cheese french toast. (Yeah, yeah, I know I said I was tired of the stuffed FT!) And what is bananas foster FT?

I get tired of cooking the same thing, too, but then I have to remember who I'm cooking for and that my guests aren't tired of this. They really look forward to the things like Bananas Foster French Toast, or Apple and Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast, while sometimes, I'm just content with a bowl of cold cereal. My guests really look forward to things like this because they are things they don't make at home and can't get at the drive-thru either..
Explain the apple cream cheese french toast. (Yeah, yeah, I know I said I was tired of the stuffed FT!) And what is bananas foster FT?
I want him to share the Bananas Foster so I'll get the apple & cream cheese French toast out of the way LOL
The recipe works well for 6 but the prep for 16 might be more pain than it is worth. Get yourself an apple peeler/corer if you plan to do it more than once. ;)

Dutch Babies with sauteed fruit of your choice can be nice, but trying to do 16 at once would be a problem. Plus they have to go right from oven to plate, or they deflate and don't look so good.

I want him to share the Bananas Foster so I'll get the apple & cream cheese French toast out of the way LOL
The recipe works well for 6 but the prep for 16 might be more pain than it is worth. Get yourself an apple peeler/corer if you plan to do it more than once. ;)
Hey, that's a neat recipe card!
We do this one without the cream cheese and the second slice of bread...apple ginger upside down french toast.

We do this one without the cream cheese and the second slice of bread...apple ginger upside down french toast.
Yah somebody I know makes a living making this kind of techno stuff ... the cool part is when you click the Print tab. ;)
The apple ginger upside down french toast ... is that baked? If so, how do you make enough for 16 people in one shot?

Baked pineapple toast. It is like pineapple-upside-down-cake. Will post the recipe in a minute. I make tis when DH is going to have to serve breakfast. The scut work is done the night before and in the morning, pre-heat oven, slide the pan(s) in, take out, flip onto platter and serve.

You can serve a variation of the French toast by using croissants and then some different kind of fruit. Belgian Waffles work well for me, even with a larger group. I've found that 3 sections out of the 4 from my waffle iron are plenty for folks. When I was giving them the whole thing, they were only eating 3 of them anyway. I don't serve the whole waffle on the plate, but separate the sections & line them up in the middle with the fruit on one side & the breakfast meat on the other. Dust the whole thing with powdered sugar.
I wish I had the recipe for this baked sausage & apple thing that was actually sweet but I don't.
Has anyone served some kind of bread pudding with fruit for a sweet breakfast entree??

I'll get you the Bananas Foster French Toast as soon as I can. It's a favorite and often requested one. I have a date with my 28-year-old washer/dryer tonight. It's coming out to make way for the new Bosch units being delivered tomorrow. It has to be pushed through a 24.5" x 25" opening through a hatch in the "ceiling" (yeah, do the math!!). That task will NOT be fun and will take about 4 of us to get this done. And tomorrow, the new stuff has to be stuffed down the hatch the same way. So, I'm not sure if I'll get to the recipe tonight, and I don't have it with me here. But soon....

Yah somebody I know makes a living making this kind of techno stuff ... the cool part is when you click the Print tab. ;)
The apple ginger upside down french toast ... is that baked? If so, how do you make enough for 16 people in one shot?
Yes, the apple-ginger is baked. Hubs makes 2 full 9x13 baking dishes (and usually one or two loaf-size pans).
If the question was really, 'How do you keep that fresh for 16 guests?' the answer is that it's always best to get to the dining room as near to 8 AM as possible.
The 'secret' to this one is to cut some 'toast soldiers' up and stuff them in where the bread slices don't quite touch the sides. This makes the whole thing puff right up with steam. (And it gives me something to eat because I don't like the apples & ginger, but I love the bread cooked in eggs & maple syrup!)

You can serve a variation of the French toast by using croissants and then some different kind of fruit. Belgian Waffles work well for me, even with a larger group. I've found that 3 sections out of the 4 from my waffle iron are plenty for folks. When I was giving them the whole thing, they were only eating 3 of them anyway. I don't serve the whole waffle on the plate, but separate the sections & line them up in the middle with the fruit on one side & the breakfast meat on the other. Dust the whole thing with powdered sugar.
I wish I had the recipe for this baked sausage & apple thing that was actually sweet but I don't.
Has anyone served some kind of bread pudding with fruit for a sweet breakfast entree??.
Samster said:
Has anyone served some kind of bread pudding with fruit for a sweet breakfast entree??
You brought to mind one of my alltime favorite breakfast sweet and savory dishes! I have not had this for two dozen years and I love it. LOOOOOOOOVE IT.
This is a bad photo of it - but you dist with powdered sugar and inside you have strawberry jam!! MMMMM Here is another Monte Cristo Sandwich
Here is a better example. A simple sandwcih, like a grilled cheese as a CLUB SAND with preserves inside and to dip and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
ah ha!
1950s - Although there are no existing documents to support this, it is felt that the Monte Cristo Sandwich was first served in southern California in the 1950s.
1966 - [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Disneyland in Anaheim, California also contributed to the trend of eating this sandwich. In 1966, it appeared on their menu of the Blue Bayou and Tahitian Terrace restaurants in New Orleans’s Square in Disneyland and has continued to be a popular menu item to this day. [/COLOR]

Has anyone served some kind of bread pudding with fruit for a sweet breakfast entree??.
We have done the waffle thing. Premake them and hot hold in the oven. Funny you should say the your guests are happy with 3/4 of a waffle when my friends got dinged because 'all' they served was fruit course, muffins, 2 Belgian waffles and bacon.
I realize you also have the fruit and breads, just highlighting that some are not happy with 'just' double portions.

Yes, the apple-ginger is baked. Hubs makes 2 full 9x13 baking dishes (and usually one or two loaf-size pans).
If the question was really, 'How do you keep that fresh for 16 guests?' the answer is that it's always best to get to the dining room as near to 8 AM as possible.
The 'secret' to this one is to cut some 'toast soldiers' up and stuff them in where the bread slices don't quite touch the sides. This makes the whole thing puff right up with steam. (And it gives me something to eat because I don't like the apples & ginger, but I love the bread cooked in eggs & maple syrup!)
Nah it wasn't so much about how to keep them fresh, it was more related to how do you get them all to fit in one oven.

Samster said:
You brought to mind one of my alltime favorite breakfast sweet and savory dishes! I have not had this for two dozen years and I love it. LOOOOOOOOVE IT.
This is a bad photo of it - but you dist with powdered sugar and inside you have strawberry jam!! MMMMM Here is another Monte Cristo Sandwich
Here is a better example. A simple sandwcih, like a grilled cheese as a CLUB SAND with preserves inside and to dip and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
ah ha!
1950s - Although there are no existing documents to support this, it is felt that the Monte Cristo Sandwich was first served in southern California in the 1950s.
1966 - [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Disneyland in Anaheim, California also contributed to the trend of eating this sandwich. In 1966, it appeared on their menu of the Blue Bayou and Tahitian Terrace restaurants in New Orleans’s Square in Disneyland and has continued to be a popular menu item to this day. [/COLOR]
Oh, I've had that at a B&B once!! It was dee-lish! Thanks for the memory
tounge_smile.gif

Samster said:
ah ha!
http://www.recipezaar.com/82119
Here is a BAKED Monte Cristo Recipe.
"Delicious! Love the combination of the saltiness of the ham, tangyness of the mustard, and sweetness of the powdered sugar and raspberry preserves. I have to agree with your husband that the raspberry preserves are what really make this. I used Smuckers Simply Fruit Seedless Red Raspberry Spreadable Fruit and whole wheat bread. I used to order a Monte Cristo (fried) every time I went to Bennigan's, but then they closed. Now I can make a better one at home!"

We have done the waffle thing. Premake them and hot hold in the oven. Funny you should say the your guests are happy with 3/4 of a waffle when my friends got dinged because 'all' they served was fruit course, muffins, 2 Belgian waffles and bacon.
I realize you also have the fruit and breads, just highlighting that some are not happy with 'just' double portions.
Well, this waffle iron of mine makes HUGE waffles...and I was throwing food away, so I had to cut back! Jeez, your friends must have gotten hit with the "big eater" guests. haha
confused_smile.gif
I have offered seconds, but have yet to have any takers.

Samster said:
ah ha!
I'm sorry, are you saying you put jelly on a Monte Cristo sandwich? Perfidy! Sacrilege!

Back