Swirt.....just a coincidence?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Did you know, that according to Wikipedia,
"The German word for an innkeeper is a Wirt, and innkeeping is Wirtschaft" ???

Yah and I understand that it also means keeper of the casks (as in wine or beer casks) apparently because innkeepers also are associated with pubs (Seeben can correct me on this) . So I keep threatening DW that I will open a pub when we sell the B&B ;)

Sunday I have five rooms from Germany for one night, I will listen and see what they call me... ha ha

Yah and I understand that it also means keeper of the casks (as in wine or beer casks) apparently because innkeepers also are associated with pubs (Seeben can correct me on this) . So I keep threatening DW that I will open a pub when we sell the B&B ;).
I don’t want to appear a smart ass, but an innkeeper in German is a “Gastwirt” or in short form “Wirt”
Inn keeping would not really be translated, as “Wirtschaft” if you translate “Wirtschaft” it would be either “Pub” or another meaning would be ”economy”
I was carefully thinking about a translation for inn keeping but actually tree is no direct translation to German for innkeeper.
A Inn would be than translated as “Gastwirtschaft” but as mentioned before a “Gastwirtschaft” implements that there is also a “Pub” present at the house where you could also get something to eat.

Yah and I understand that it also means keeper of the casks (as in wine or beer casks) apparently because innkeepers also are associated with pubs (Seeben can correct me on this) . So I keep threatening DW that I will open a pub when we sell the B&B ;).
I don’t want to appear a smart ass, but an innkeeper in German is a “Gastwirt” or in short form “Wirt”
Inn keeping would not really be translated, as “Wirtschaft” if you translate “Wirtschaft” it would be either “Pub” or another meaning would be ”economy”
I was carefully thinking about a translation for inn keeping but actually tree is no direct translation to German for innkeeper.
A Inn would be than translated as “Gastwirtschaft” but as mentioned before a “Gastwirtschaft” implements that there is also a “Pub” present at the house where you could also get something to eat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inn
Ben, I think you should go to that wikipedia page and edit it to be correct!

Back