Switching from REZGT to RESNEXUS

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happykeeper

Reaction score
Aloha everyone,
One of the most challenging things we face as innkeepers is the prospect of making changes. It can be scary and difficult to know if you are making a good choice. That can be complicated by the large investment in time and money that is often involved when we decide to make a change. It is often easier to play it safe. Finding reviews, examples, or the experiences of other innkeepers can be difficult. It shows why this forum is so helpful.
I have been very grateful for this forum. It has given me a lot of information. My goal with this topic is to try to put some sunshine on the process of switching. In my case, I am going to switching from REZOVATIONS GT to RESERVATIONS NEXUS. I want to try to share my experience as best as I can with as little prejudice as possible.
As we all know, there are many 100% satisfied customers with both products. Our circumstances are singular and there is no need to make a lot of general assumptions. It is really just an effort to take the mystery out of the process.
Step One
I got on this forum and asked for some feedback from anyone who wanted to share about the program I was considering switching to. I sorted through what folks had to say and concluded that it was worth more investigation.
Step Two
I went to sites for my current system and the potential new one and reviewed both. I compiled what I thought was a fairly accurate side by side chart and posted it here for more review. Again, with all the selling removed, it was starting to look like we might be better off with the advantages we favored in the new software. In comparing the price, they seem to be similar.
Step Three
I contacted Res Nexus and spoke with a representative. I learned that the actual discontinuation of a computer based program and the start up for a web based program was not very complicated. It requires removing the link that makes me live at REZ GT and replacing it with the Res Nexus link. Since it is web-based, there is no software to set up. At this point, their service agent will train me on the program and how it functions.
more to come

I had 2 training sessions on SuperInn over the phone to learn the basics. It was not difficult at all. There's an online help function & of course you can contact someone at the company. I imagine it would be pretty easy to switch to another web based application. Keep us posted!!

Step Four
I need to ask the following questions of RezOvations.
Who do we call if we have no support? Who can help us disconnect from you for 60 days so we can try RESNEXUS? Who will make sure we can return safely and seamlessly if we find the grass wasn't greener?
Will we have to pay for the time we are away?
Since John is on this site and following all this, I was able to get a quick response to this question.
"No, there would not be any charge while you are trying something else. We woud deactivate the system."
I have also confirmed that I do not pay anything upfront to Res Nexus until after my trial is complete. I do not know if that will include migration of customers or not. I think there might be a fee for that.
Also, I have learned that ResNexus has two ROI guarantees. One is a monthly gaurantee and the second is yearly. To be honest, it seems unlikely that I would not receive enough reservations to make my money back, but it is great insurance. One of them is you have to get enough reservations while you sleep, which is a bit gimmicky but very reassuring. More interesting is that I think it is an always on thing, so if for some reason I don't receive a reservation in the month of May 2011, I don't pay for that month. Something like that.

Step Four
Who do we call if we have no support? Who can help us disconnect from you for 60 days so we can try RESNEXUS? Who will make sure we can return safely and seamlessly if we find the grass wasn't greener?
Since John is on this site and following all this, I was able to get a quick response to this question.
"No, there would not be any charge while you are trying something else. We woud deactivate the system."
I have also confirmed that I do not pay anything upfront to Res Nexus until after my trial is complete. I do not know if that will include migration of customers or not. I think there might be a fee for that.
Also, I have learned that ResNexus has two ROI guarantees. One is a monthly gaurantee and the second is yearly. To be honest, it seems unlikely that I would not receive enough reservations to make my money back, but it is great insurance. One of them is you have to get enough reservations while you sleep, which is a bit gimmicky but very reassuring. More interesting is that I think it is an always on thing, so if for some reason I don't receive a reservation in the month of May 2011, I don't pay for that month. Something like that..
As Jeff explained it to me, if I get a reservation for May in January, it counts for January but if I get nothing at all - nada - in January, not even a future rez, I would not pay. What is starting to reel me in is the fact that it would be only reservations made after 10pm my time and before 8am that would be counted.

Step Four
Also, I have learned that ResNexus has two ROI guarantees. One is a monthly gaurantee and the second is yearly. To be honest, it seems unlikely that I would not receive enough reservations to make my money back, but it is great insurance. One of them is you have to get enough reservations while you sleep, which is a bit gimmicky but very reassuring. More interesting is that I think it is an always on thing, so if for some reason I don't receive a reservation in the month of May 2011, I don't pay for that month. Something like that..
As Jeff explained it to me, if I get a reservation for May in January, it counts for January but if I get nothing at all - nada - in January, not even a future rez, I would not pay. What is starting to reel me in is the fact that it would be only reservations made after 10pm my time and before 8am that would be counted.
That's a timespan when we get a large quantity of our reservations so it is a pretty safe assurance, though the guarantee may pay off every once in a while.
It would be interesting to know if this applies for properties that are seasonal and don't take reservations in the off season. ;)

Step Four
I am not too sure if I clicked on the right reply, but here is the next update.
Step Five
I attempted to use the REZ GT live support. After 20 minutes I got this message-
Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app58.logmeinrescue.com...
[9:54 AM] Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
[10:10 AM] The session has exceeded the maximum allowed waiting time, please try a new session at a later time.

My goal was to let them know I will changing in the next day or two and to ask how I properly extract the data from REZ GT so that it can be migrated to Reseravation Nexus.
Step Six
I spoke with the Reservation Nexus representative (Irene) and arranged a training for tomorrow morning for myself and my partner. I asked about the migration and she said that I will be extracting data and sending it to them to convert into their format. There is no cost for this.
more to come

Step Four
Step Five
I attempted to use the REZ GT live support. After 20 minutes I got this message-
[9:54 AM] Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
[10:10 AM] The session has exceeded the maximum allowed waiting time, please try a new session at a later time.

My goal was to let them know I will changing in the next day or two and to ask how I properly extract the data from REZ GT so that it can be migrated to Reseravation Nexus.
Step Six
I spoke with the Reservation Nexus representative (Irene) and arranged a training for tomorrow morning for myself and my partner. I asked about the migration and she said that I will be extracting data and sending it to them to convert into their format. There is no cost for this.
more to come
Hi Knk,
I might have missed a post of yours, but is there a good time to talk today on the phone? I'd still like to get your feedback as we talked about yesterday. I'm looking into the logmein issue - usually that is pretty reliable.
As far as exporting data - there is a very easy way to do that to use as an import. If you want:
Just customers/contact info:
Go into your customer list view (hit the first icon of little people on the left). If you want EVERYTHING about them, just leave it selected as "all customers." You can apply any number of filters if you wanted a targeted list, but leaving it as all will enable you to download them all. Then go to "Marketing Tools" on top, and hit "Generate Mailing List." This function takes what you are viewing, and spits it into a CSV file. Anyone should be able to import that.
If you want Reservation Information:
Go into your "sales" list (second icon from the left), hit the "all sales" radio button - that will list out everything including check-in/check-out dates, amount paid, etc. You can filter these as well if you wish to only import a subset. Then again go to "Marketing Tools" on top, and hit "Generate Mailing List." This function takes what you are viewing, and spits it into a CSV file same as above. Importing this into another program may be tricky, but we put it into about as easy a format as possible.
Hope that helps - we have tried to make it as easy as possible for people to get their data - and I don't want to get on a soapbox, but I think this is the type of thing that the industry adopts. I don't know of any other company that enables a data export like this for full information.

Step Four
Step Five

Step Six
more to come
Hi Knk,
I might have missed a post of yours, but is there a good time to talk today on the phone? I'd still like to get your feedback as we talked about yesterday. I'm looking into the logmein issue - usually that is pretty reliable.
As far as exporting data - there is a very easy way to do that to use as an import. If you want:
Just customers/contact info:
Go into your customer list view (hit the first icon of little people on the left). If you want EVERYTHING about them, just leave it selected as "all customers." You can apply any number of filters if you wanted a targeted list, but leaving it as all will enable you to download them all. Then go to "Marketing Tools" on top, and hit "Generate Mailing List." This function takes what you are viewing, and spits it into a CSV file. Anyone should be able to import that.
If you want Reservation Information:
Go into your "sales" list (second icon from the left), hit the "all sales" radio button - that will list out everything including check-in/check-out dates, amount paid, etc. You can filter these as well if you wish to only import a subset. Then again go to "Marketing Tools" on top, and hit "Generate Mailing List." This function takes what you are viewing, and spits it into a CSV file same as above. Importing this into another program may be tricky, but we put it into about as easy a format as possible.
Hope that helps - we have tried to make it as easy as possible for people to get their data - and I don't want to get on a soapbox, but I think this is the type of thing that the industry adopts. I don't know of any other company that enables a data export like this for full information.
Hi John,
You can call anytime. I don't have a catalog of stuff, but your support records should. It would be great to receive this info outside of this topic so that we don't unintentionally obfuscate it's intent.
Thanks
Kenny

Step Four
Step Five

Step Six
more to come
Step Seven
Whew! It's been busy but I wanted to get back on here a share where things are at. This step kind of jumped into the mix. I had a conversation with John and, although we had a pleasant conversation about several things, the important thing to note is that he confirmed that they would turn us off during the switch and retain our data in case the trial results in our return to REZ GT. He asked that I let him know personally so that he could ensure that the proper steps were taken. I have not had that opportunity yet, but will emai lhim when I have some extra time. My understanding is that there will not be a charge for the time we are inactive and if we remain with Reservation Nexus, they would, by law, need to remove our information from their system.
Step Eight
Today, we had a brief (2 hours or so) training with Aireen at Res Nexus.
She explained most of the essentials and covered a lot of ground. While we have a considerable number of questions, it does sound as if we will be able to get at them within the next couple of days. I expect that long term comfort is a few weeks away. There are some significant differences between the two programs and it will be interesting to see how we do with them.
Step Nine
I needed to begin the process of fixing our links and transitioning our website from RezGT to ResNexus. I was able to successfully transition the links from one to the other, but the program with take a few days to refine. I tried to replace a picture and got lost, so for a brief time during transition, our resrvation page has a couple pictures missing. I sent an email and I imagine that it will figured out tomorrow. I suppose it is a simple thing I am not doing.
So at his point, we are live with ResNexus, but kind of at half mast.
More to come.

Step Four
Step Five

Step Six
more to come
Step Seven
Whew! It's been busy but I wanted to get back on here a share where things are at. This step kind of jumped into the mix. I had a conversation with John and, although we had a pleasant conversation about several things, the important thing to note is that he confirmed that they would turn us off during the switch and retain our data in case the trial results in our return to REZ GT. He asked that I let him know personally so that he could ensure that the proper steps were taken. I have not had that opportunity yet, but will emai lhim when I have some extra time. My understanding is that there will not be a charge for the time we are inactive and if we remain with Reservation Nexus, they would, by law, need to remove our information from their system.
Step Eight
She explained most of the essentials and covered a lot of ground. While we have a considerable number of questions, it does sound as if we will be able to get at them within the next couple of days. I expect that long term comfort is a few weeks away. There are some significant differences between the two programs and it will be interesting to see how we do with them.
Step Nine
I needed to begin the process of fixing our links and transitioning our website from RezGT to ResNexus. I was able to successfully transition the links from one to the other, but the program with take a few days to refine. I tried to replace a picture and got lost, so for a brief time during transition, our resrvation page has a couple pictures missing. I sent an email and I imagine that it will figured out tomorrow. I suppose it is a simple thing I am not doing.
More to come.
knkbnb,
Thanks for the play by play description. ;)

Step Four
Step Five

Step Six
more to come
Step Seven
Step Eight
Step Nine
More to come.
We are exactly where you are in this process, almost ready to go live... We did our walk-thru yesterday with David, he has been great!
So far it all looks good, just a few more questions and we are a go...

Step Ten
We had a second call with Aireen and we covered some of the questions we had and resolved the picture problem I had created. I am still working on how to do that correctly. My partner got some questions answered about the reports and we sent the information in a CVS? file to allow our customer information to migrate into Reservation Nexus. We are live and we received ourfirst reservation using the new system while we were sleeping last night. (THERE GOES THE Gaurantee)
teeth_smile.gif

Step Eleven
I got a final clarification in an email from John about the switching issues I raised earlier. If we complete the trial, and decide we would like to return to REZOVATIONS, we would return on the regular support contract that includes the booking engine and we would not be required to start a new one year contract. This would allow us to choose month to month if we prefer.
Step Twelve
We spoke with our Room Manager and discussed that we were interested in changing from a weekly housekeepingreport that we print out and provide to her to an arrangement where she could access the system from her computer at her home and would use that to track departures. She was actually very excited about the change. We have added her on the system and restricted her access to housekeeping. We were also able to set it so that housekeeping was the screen that would come up for her when she logged in.
More to come

Step Thirteen
We had a training about Gift Certificates and Follow up Emails and Auto Send stuff. It was a lot to digest, but it looks exciting and I am looking forward to getting a series of auto- emails set up. I was a little concerned about the 12 limit on promotions, but I have since realized that it a good governor to keep us from pestering our guests. I don't know that will ever use all 12.
We were able to allow our room manager to access the housekeeping report from her computer at her home. She will now be using that to track our departures. There is still an issue about access, but we are working on it.
Step Fourteen
All of data has been migrated from a .cvs file. I sent the info via email and Resnexus formatted it and uploaded into the system. We have not tried to access it yet, so I can't tell you what will be there until later. I need to go into our system and convert dates I had blocked off in to reservations. I don't think that will be to difficult. There is button to help make it easier.
Step Fifteen
There is fair amount of work to be done with some of the cool features in the Auto-pilot part of the program and there is some work to do regarding our packages.
I should mention that I haven't felt a lot of stress since this whole switch is a free trial. I like that we have some time before the clock starts.
So far so good more to come

This concludes the process of switching from REZ GT to RESNEXUS for a trial run. There are several things we will be looking at and testing during our trial and I hope to start a new thread once we return from our vacation in early March.
Please feel free to add any comments or thoughts that you think may help others. Willowpond is trying ResNexus as well and probably can share her experiences. Linda is a ResNex user and could probably share as well. I know I have some questions I would like to ask both of them.
whattha.gif

I want to acknowledge the great support from both John, the C.O.O at REZ GT and Aireen, the RESNEXUS Red Carpet Specialist for Hawaii for their support. I hope it is helpful for others to see what we go through when we take on a big change. I honestly have no idea if we will remain with RESNEXUS or return to REZ GT. All of that will be determined by how the trial goes. No doubt, each program has +'s and -'s, and the final choice will be based on our individual needs.
Mahalo

Please feel free to ask any questions. You can also email me directly. knkbnb you are so lucky to get a reservation so quickly. good luck.

Thanks for keeping us informed on this one. Though we are t i n y, I am thinking of using 'nexus as well.
-KathleenM

Back