Switching Reservation Software Follow Up

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happykeeper

Reaction score
This is a follow up report on the topic posted previously about switching reservation software. As many of you may remember, we were interested in exploring other options than our current reservations program. We had REZ GT without support because the way they did business had changed and we did not change with it. In some ways, we had become an orphan of sorts. At the time, we did some initial comparisons and it looked as if the cost for the system we wanted to try would be similar to the cost of REZ GT if we were to move onto a support contract. SOOOO... we decided to try something else and see if it met our needs. Of particular interest, we were getting ready to take a vacation and we were curious about using web-based software that could be accessed from any computer anywhere. The following is the summary of that experience with some reflections about the challenges we face when we want to try new things.
First, let me say that the folks at ResNexus were wonderful. They worked with us to get us up and running in a couple of days. They helped us generate a good-looking reservation page that was taking reservations within no time. They spent time with us doing some training and they helped us understand how the program they have works. The highlight of our experience with them was a personalized customer service model that is clearly a good fit for many happy customers.
Second, let me say that their reservation program was a less than ideal fit for us. The way we are structured required more flexibility than Nexus was able to deliver. Since we offer a three-tier reservation schedule that is sort of a sliding scale, we needed to bend the program in ways it doesn’t bend. The result for us was that reservations were not coming in at the proper pricing and this required a fair amount of work to correct.
We decided that the potential benefit of traveling computer free was outweighed by our need for more flexibility. Unfortunately, this prevented us from tapping into what appears to be a very solid marketing program. After a brief two-week trial, we reverted to our previous program, REZ GT, before going on our trip.
THE BACK STORY
This is what you like to see from companies you work with. They are willing to let you go without penalties or headaches, they are willing to let you sample their wares without risk, and they are comfortable leaving the door open for your return. Imagine if all companies had enough faith in what they do to give that.
Since we knew we were going to need our system for travel, we contacted Rez GT three business days before our departure to facilitate our return and to address our need to have an operating system on our laptop. As we had discovered a short time earlier, they were now offering three computers for an added monthly charge of $10 instead of two. This addressed one of our needs- to have the program on our laptop for those limited times when we are traveling without having to pay $120 in perpetuity for a third license.
They went to work and had us customized and functional for travel in 48 hours. Our computer went with us and we had complete access to our reservations during our absence from the inn. Everything worked fine. We took several reservations from South America, they came in at the right prices, and we had full access to the system.
CONCLUSION
We went out and tried something else- it didn’t meet our particular needs- and we returned to the program we had. In the end, we would think it was a worthwhile exercise. We have since included support into our arrangement with Rez GT and we are looking forward to exploring how to take advantage of some of their new features.
We think ResNexus has many satisfied customers for whom their system is a very good fit. We were grateful for their efforts on our behalf and we think there is a future for what they offer.
We think Rez GT went out of their way to win us back. We publicly thank John B.
We think forums like this play an important role in how companies get information about their customers and respond to them.
[edited by swirt to get rid of microsoft formatting junk]

Wow, thanks Knkbnb for that follow-up info.
Incidentally I also use RezovationGT and have been using Logmein Free (www.logmein.com) to access my home computer from the road. It installs a little piece of software on your home computer and then you can securely get into your home computer from any computer that is on the internet. It essentially lets you remote-control your home computer.
Actually I use 2 differnet methods for remote control. I have something called UltraVNC installed on my home computer and have the viewer installed on a thumbdrive. When I am travelling without a computer I can use the thumbdrive on any windows machine to access my home computer. And in the even that I am without the thumbdrive, I can still get to it with logmein.
Each method has a couple of pros and cons. Neither have any cost:
Logmein Free
  • + incredibly easy to set up (no need to mess with firewalls and router configurations
  • + can use pretty much any computer to access your home computer
  • - More steps to get in each time. (log into website, pick the computer from your list, click remote control) Is a slow method to get access.
VNC
  • + Very quick access (one mouse click on the vnc icon then type in your password and you are in.)
  • - Have to set up port forwarding on your router at home
  • - Have to configure software
  • - Must remember to bring thumbdrive

Incidentally I also use RezovationGT and have been using Logmein Free (www.logmein.com) to access my home computer from the road. It installs a little piece of software on your home computer and then you can securely get into your home computer from any computer that is on the internet. It essentially lets you remote-control your home computer.
Actually I use 2 differnet methods for remote control. I have something called UltraVNC installed on my home computer and have the viewer installed on a thumbdrive. When I am travelling without a computer I can use the thumbdrive on any windows machine to access my home computer. And in the even that I am without the thumbdrive, I can still get to it with logmein.
Logmein Free
  • + incredibly easy to set up (no need to mess with firewalls and router configurations
  • - More steps to get in each time. (log into website, pick the computer from your list, click remote control) Is a slow method to get access.
VNC
  • + Very quick access (one mouse click on the vnc icon then type in your password and you are in.)
I am aware of logmein since GT folks use it. I am still a little confused, but I think we chose what we did so the computer at home could be turned off for the two weeks while we were gone. Otherwise, I think it's great.

Swirt,
Have you ever tried using Hamachi for the vpn software? You shouldn't have to setup port forwarding, it is pretty low config, and I don't think you need a thumbdrive. It is also free. They got acquired by Logmein a while back and I believe Logmein bases a lot of their products on this platform. We have directions for setting it up on our wiki:
http://www.rezovationwiki.com/index.php?title=Remotely_Accessing_RezOvation_GT

Logmein Free
VNC
I am aware of logmein since GT folks use it. I am still a little confused, but I think we chose what we did so the computer at home could be turned off for the two weeks while we were gone. Otherwise, I think it's great.
knkbnb said:
Exactly. The method of setting up the main install on a laptop is actually a very smart way to do it. That way you can always just leave it running, or bring it with you when you are on the road. Same install as a client-server, just the laptop becomes the server.

Swirt,
Have you ever tried using Hamachi for the vpn software? You shouldn't have to setup port forwarding, it is pretty low config, and I don't think you need a thumbdrive. It is also free. They got acquired by Logmein a while back and I believe Logmein bases a lot of their products on this platform. We have directions for setting it up on our wiki:
http://www.rezovationwiki.com/index.php?title=Remotely_Accessing_RezOvation_GT .
Thanks John, that's an interesting option. Does using it to run a B&B really qualify as non-comercial (free) use?
This option seems like it would be ideal for anyone traveling with a laptop that they could install a second copy of GT on. But it doesn't seem to help those looking to travel without a laptop.
Am I reading it right that a user of RezovationGT would only have to pay for extra installations of GT only if they have simultaneous users? So in other words if I am the only user of the software, but I want a copy (running as the main server) on my home machine, I could install a second copy on my laptop that tunnels in using VPN at no extra charge?

Swirt,
http://www.rezovationwiki.com/index.php?title=Remotely_Accessing_RezOvation_GT .
Thanks John, that's an interesting option. Does using it to run a B&B really qualify as non-comercial (free) use?
This option seems like it would be ideal for anyone traveling with a laptop that they could install a second copy of GT on. But it doesn't seem to help those looking to travel without a laptop.
Am I reading it right that a user of RezovationGT would only have to pay for extra installations of GT only if they have simultaneous users? So in other words if I am the only user of the software, but I want a copy (running as the main server) on my home machine, I could install a second copy on my laptop that tunnels in using VPN at no extra charge?
swirt said:
Funny you mention that - after posting this I went to take a look because this changed. When we started doing this with Hamachi, it was completely free - period. After they got acquired, they split into commercial vs. non-commercial. It appears to me that B&B's would fall into commercial, which is $39.95/year.
You are correct on the issue of traveling without a laptop though - this does not solve that issue at all. We hope to have our solution to that live by the end of this month though... I will let you know when we do.
On the installs, that is not actually how it works. You need a network license key to setup multiple installs - so if you are doing it that way, it would be $10/month more for 2 additional installs. You don't pay that if we you just using Hamachi for Remote Desktop, or VNC, or even logmein - but those all of course take over control of the computer.
I think the slickest setup I've seen of our software that offers a lot of flexibility at a very low costs has been this... it may sound complicated, but it is actually quite easy to setup and provides an industrial strength solution that is pretty inexpensive.
1 "dummy" PC at property which acts as a server. Costco has a quad-core with 4GB of Ram and 1 TB hard-drive for $599 right now. This becomes the "server" with all critical data on it, firewall, etc. and is not even connected to a monitor. Keeping the main copy of GT, Quickbooks, any other private/critical stuff on it. Elephant Drive online backup service for all "normal" critical files (i.e. - not your GT DB which is large, and we automatically back it up all the time). This PC has logmein pro on it as well - so anyone from any machine can connect to it without disturbing others if they have to.
1 Front-desk PC - no critical files on it, a GT instance that is a client. Just use the PC you already have - doesn't need to be a brand-new machine, but if so, just about any dell will do for $400. This machine can easily remote into the server whenever needed, but is not left holding all the critical stuff.
Optional - laptop if you are traveling. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but something about logging into an online PMS from a public computer that would make me VERY nervous. I'd bring a laptop, but that is just me. If you have to use a public machine, then you use logmein to access the server - and logmein's security is second to none. If you want to do it even more securely from a public machine, you can carry the logmein usb key which has no install, no footprint, and is fast and secure - that is by far the best way, but costs a little more.
Total cost of hardware is about $600 (without laptop), you have instant backup capabilities is a machine ever goes down, full access from the road, etc. For 1-4 room BB with up to 3 networked machines, it would be $49.95/month for GT with full support/backup.

Swirt,
swirt said:
Funny you mention that - after posting this I went to take a look because this changed. When we started doing this with Hamachi, it was completely free - period. After they got acquired, they split into commercial vs. non-commercial. It appears to me that B&B's would fall into commercial, which is $39.95/year.
You are correct on the issue of traveling without a laptop though - this does not solve that issue at all. We hope to have our solution to that live by the end of this month though... I will let you know when we do.
On the installs, that is not actually how it works. You need a network license key to setup multiple installs - so if you are doing it that way, it would be $10/month more for 2 additional installs. You don't pay that if we you just using Hamachi for Remote Desktop, or VNC, or even logmein - but those all of course take over control of the computer.
I think the slickest setup I've seen of our software that offers a lot of flexibility at a very low costs has been this... it may sound complicated, but it is actually quite easy to setup and provides an industrial strength solution that is pretty inexpensive.
1 "dummy" PC at property which acts as a server. Costco has a quad-core with 4GB of Ram and 1 TB hard-drive for $599 right now. This becomes the "server" with all critical data on it, firewall, etc. and is not even connected to a monitor. Keeping the main copy of GT, Quickbooks, any other private/critical stuff on it. Elephant Drive online backup service for all "normal" critical files (i.e. - not your GT DB which is large, and we automatically back it up all the time). This PC has logmein pro on it as well - so anyone from any machine can connect to it without disturbing others if they have to.
1 Front-desk PC - no critical files on it, a GT instance that is a client. Just use the PC you already have - doesn't need to be a brand-new machine, but if so, just about any dell will do for $400. This machine can easily remote into the server whenever needed, but is not left holding all the critical stuff.
Optional - laptop if you are traveling. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but something about logging into an online PMS from a public computer that would make me VERY nervous. I'd bring a laptop, but that is just me. If you have to use a public machine, then you use logmein to access the server - and logmein's security is second to none. If you want to do it even more securely from a public machine, you can carry the logmein usb key which has no install, no footprint, and is fast and secure - that is by far the best way, but costs a little more.
Total cost of hardware is about $600 (without laptop), you have instant backup capabilities is a machine ever goes down, full access from the road, etc. For 1-4 room BB with up to 3 networked machines, it would be $49.95/month for GT with full support/backup.
Thanks for the clarification John.
That does sound like a good set-up .... one of these days I will get to doing that.
I guess my question about not needing the network license comes from this line on that page
Rezovation site said:
If you plan to use RezOvation GT with multiple simultaneous users, you will need to enter a network license key. Launch RezOvation GT and enter your network license key by selecting Help > About and selecting the link to add users.
It makes it sound as though as long as the users won't be simultaneous, then a license key is not needed (Example: I can't be physically at two computers at once so they installs would not be simultaneous. )

Swirt,
swirt said:
That does sound like a good set-up .... one of these days I will get to doing that.
I guess my question about not needing the network license comes from this line on that page
Rezovation site said:
If you plan to use RezOvation GT with multiple simultaneous users, you will need to enter a network license key. Launch RezOvation GT and enter your network license key by selecting Help > About and selecting the link to add users.
It makes it sound as though as long as the users won't be simultaneous, then a license key is not needed (Example: I can't be physically at two computers at once so they installs would not be simultaneous. )
swirt said:
Rezovation site said:
Let me check with Ben on that, but I think he means multiple installs. I'm pretty sure you need the network key to do the client-server implementation, so that is where my thinking came from.
What are your opinions on using a public machine to access a PMS, online or via logmein? Does it make you nervous?
I wonder what percentag of people are really looking to use a public machine vs. just being able to do it from home (if home is not the inn) or via a laptop on the road?
This reminds me of how I used to do my media center at home. I took an old dell laptop I got for almost nothing, installed only XP, iTunes, and Explorer, plugged it into my TV and stereo, and presto - instant online jukebox with music, movies, etc. Then if I went on a trip with family - I took it with me and had all the music/internet access/kids movies all right there. It was pretty cool - and it made no noise and didn't take up any space. Unfortunately it started to get buggy when it hit about 7yrs old, so I replaced it with a now 10yr old desktop machine I had retired... but while it worked, it was great.
Sort of similar to putting GT on a laptop as a server - wouldn't take up much space, sits quietly under a monitor, and when you need it for the road, away you go.

Swirt,
swirt said:
Rezovation site said:
swirt said:
Rezovation site said:
Let me check with Ben on that, but I think he means multiple installs. I'm pretty sure you need the network key to do the client-server implementation, so that is where my thinking came from.
What are your opinions on using a public machine to access a PMS, online or via logmein? Does it make you nervous?
I wonder what percentag of people are really looking to use a public machine vs. just being able to do it from home (if home is not the inn) or via a laptop on the road?
This reminds me of how I used to do my media center at home. I took an old dell laptop I got for almost nothing, installed only XP, iTunes, and Explorer, plugged it into my TV and stereo, and presto - instant online jukebox with music, movies, etc. Then if I went on a trip with family - I took it with me and had all the music/internet access/kids movies all right there. It was pretty cool - and it made no noise and didn't take up any space. Unfortunately it started to get buggy when it hit about 7yrs old, so I replaced it with a now 10yr old desktop machine I had retired... but while it worked, it was great.
Sort of similar to putting GT on a laptop as a server - wouldn't take up much space, sits quietly under a monitor, and when you need it for the road, away you go.
I don't worry too much about using a public computer to use either Logmein Free or my VNC from a thumbdrive. Both communications are encrypted so there is no risk of people snooping that way.
THe biggets risk is propbably from the thumbdrive if I accidentally left it behind, but even running it from the thumdrive the first thing it does is ask fo a password so even that is pretty secure.
If the thumbdrive turned up missing, the first thing I would do is login to my computer using logmein and then shut down the VNC server, making the thumbdrive access useless.

We just officially joined up with Resnexus, after the month long trial. We switched from Webervations, because we were looking for an all in one online reservation system with guest management software.
We found the customer service to be outstanding. No waiting for days for a returned phone call. David M. was the only person we had contact with. One contact, the first step in excellent customer service in my book!
The pricing is competitive and reasonable. We did not opt for the premium service, which has the automatic greeting cards, etc. but may in the future.
The Resnexus management software is a really good fit for us. All the bells and whistles have been really exciting for us to use, streamlining our work and getting us organized. This is an extremely user friendly system.
David helped us get our page up quickly and customize even further, with specific logos and pictures that we wanted, outside of the general changes they usually make for new set-ups. The look of the page fits completely with our website design and looks current.
The Resnexus set-up for retail items is much easier to use than the Webervations model.The "enhance your stay" feature with customizable photos is really cool, allowing guests to add-on retail items, and we are already getting orders with our reservation bookings.
We only have 3 rooms and a fixed pricing system. We've found the discounts and retail items features are quick and easy options for us to use.
BBonline allows a link to our online reservation system via Resnexus, at no cost and we have already received a number of reservations via bbonline. BBonline also allowed this via Webervations, so we were very happy to learn we could still have a link using Resnexus! Unfortunately, bb.com requires a fee to have a Resnexus link, which we are not opting to use, since we are not renewing with them this year.
Webervations served us well for taking online reservations, but we are very pleased with the whole Resnexus package and plan to stay with it.

Swirt,
swirt said:
Rezovation site said:
swirt said:
Rezovation site said:
I don't worry too much about using a public computer to use either Logmein Free or my VNC from a thumbdrive. Both communications are encrypted so there is no risk of people snooping that way.
THe biggets risk is propbably from the thumbdrive if I accidentally left it behind, but even running it from the thumdrive the first thing it does is ask fo a password so even that is pretty secure.
If the thumbdrive turned up missing, the first thing I would do is login to my computer using logmein and then shut down the VNC server, making the thumbdrive access useless.
swirt said:
What about when you used Superinn - would you be comfortable on a public computer using a full web-based system?
Basically we are trying to weigh-up the convenience of having a full web-based login that requires no active-x control/etc. with both the need/want for it, as well as the security. If people really use a full web-based system like Webervations, Superinn, or Resnexus so they can just login from home, or from a laptop - that is one thing. But if the real appeal is to be able to stroll into an internet cafe in China and view all your customer's data - then that is another thing.
From what I hear directly, I feel like 99.9% of innkeepers are not truly interested in using a public computer in an internet cafe to access their vital information - they are really interested in being able to easily access things from home, or from their laptop, etc. - essentially when they are away from the property, but not on a completely random computer. If that is the case, then it has a big impact on how we design things.
Personally I don't login to my bank accounts from public machines, and I wouldn't logon to my PMS from a public machine either (unless using a thumb drive) no matter what. Too much critical information available and too many smart hackers!

Swirt,
swirt said:
Rezovation site said:
swirt said:
Rezovation site said:
swirt said:
What about when you used Superinn - would you be comfortable on a public computer using a full web-based system?
Basically we are trying to weigh-up the convenience of having a full web-based login that requires no active-x control/etc. with both the need/want for it, as well as the security. If people really use a full web-based system like Webervations, Superinn, or Resnexus so they can just login from home, or from a laptop - that is one thing. But if the real appeal is to be able to stroll into an internet cafe in China and view all your customer's data - then that is another thing.
From what I hear directly, I feel like 99.9% of innkeepers are not truly interested in using a public computer in an internet cafe to access their vital information - they are really interested in being able to easily access things from home, or from their laptop, etc. - essentially when they are away from the property, but not on a completely random computer. If that is the case, then it has a big impact on how we design things.
Personally I don't login to my bank accounts from public machines, and I wouldn't logon to my PMS from a public machine either (unless using a thumb drive) no matter what. Too much critical information available and too many smart hackers!
I have used a public computer to access Superinn when I had that. I was usually comfortable with it but those were usually in hotel business centers or on a friend's computer, or a loaner computer in a B&B. I would not feel as comfortable in an internet cafe only because in that setting there may be more people hanging out who might be up to no good. That could range from someone just watching over my shoulder or actually using a vnc viewer to watch the screen and probably to worse things I don't even know about.

Swirt,
swirt said:
Rezovation site said:
swirt said:
Rezovation site said:
swirt said:
I have used a public computer to access Superinn when I had that. I was usually comfortable with it but those were usually in hotel business centers or on a friend's computer, or a loaner computer in a B&B. I would not feel as comfortable in an internet cafe only because in that setting there may be more people hanging out who might be up to no good. That could range from someone just watching over my shoulder or actually using a vnc viewer to watch the screen and probably to worse things I don't even know about.
swirt said:
Any opinion from other folks? Do others use random machines to acces their PMS? Really not a problem in most cases anyways - we've been trying out various machines and I have yet to hit one that blocks the activex that is needed. Although I haven't been to a laptop lane location for a while since I'm not traveling as much. But the cafe down the street, hotel lobby, library, not to mention friends pc's - not a problem yet.

We just officially joined up with Resnexus, after the month long trial. We switched from Webervations, because we were looking for an all in one online reservation system with guest management software.
We found the customer service to be outstanding. No waiting for days for a returned phone call. David M. was the only person we had contact with. One contact, the first step in excellent customer service in my book!
The pricing is competitive and reasonable. We did not opt for the premium service, which has the automatic greeting cards, etc. but may in the future.
The Resnexus management software is a really good fit for us. All the bells and whistles have been really exciting for us to use, streamlining our work and getting us organized. This is an extremely user friendly system.
David helped us get our page up quickly and customize even further, with specific logos and pictures that we wanted, outside of the general changes they usually make for new set-ups. The look of the page fits completely with our website design and looks current.
The Resnexus set-up for retail items is much easier to use than the Webervations model.The "enhance your stay" feature with customizable photos is really cool, allowing guests to add-on retail items, and we are already getting orders with our reservation bookings.
We only have 3 rooms and a fixed pricing system. We've found the discounts and retail items features are quick and easy options for us to use.
BBonline allows a link to our online reservation system via Resnexus, at no cost and we have already received a number of reservations via bbonline. BBonline also allowed this via Webervations, so we were very happy to learn we could still have a link using Resnexus! Unfortunately, bb.com requires a fee to have a Resnexus link, which we are not opting to use, since we are not renewing with them this year.
Webervations served us well for taking online reservations, but we are very pleased with the whole Resnexus package and plan to stay with it..
This is really great to hear. We were feeling a little rough on the edges because it didn't end up working for us. We recieved great customer care as well and we are glad to hear it was what you were looking for.

Back