TA & BANDB.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
A friend just asked me...
why some inns on TripAdvisor are showing up with links to 'hotel photos' and 'hotel amenities' and it takes you to the bedandbreakfast.com's inn web site.
But this isn't the case with everyone. My friends are listed on bandb.com but they don't show these links with their TA listing.
Do you have to pay the platinum level to bandb.com to have these links show up??? Just curious if someone can shed some light on this. John???

Sorry I won't be able to find the thread, but we discussed this a few weeks back. I told everyone to click and see where it took you - some it went to BandB.com

Sorry I won't be able to find the thread, but we discussed this a few weeks back. I told everyone to click and see where it took you - some it went to BandB.com.
Yeah I remember that..but my question is why does it go there for some and not others who are listed on bandb.com??

I am with B&B.com but are not bookable on TA......what makes the difference ?
I actually prefer it this way since I loose 25% when booked trough B&B.com

I actually prefer it this way since I loose 25% when booked trough B&B.com.
I am not talking about being bookable. I am just referring to the fact that some inns have links to their photos and amenitites from TA which link to BandB.com. Why some and not others? From what I see of my 2 friends listings...both list on bandb.com, but at different levels. Neither does any booking through them, nor hotels.com or Expedia. So why does one contain the links and the other not??? Is is the level they purchase at bandb.com????

I actually prefer it this way since I loose 25% when booked trough B&B.com.
I am not talking about being bookable. I am just referring to the fact that some inns have links to their photos and amenitites from TA which link to BandB.com. Why some and not others? From what I see of my 2 friends listings...both list on bandb.com, but at different levels. Neither does any booking through them, nor hotels.com or Expedia. So why does one contain the links and the other not??? Is is the level they purchase at bandb.com????
I heard from John Banczak that this is just Tripadvisor doing what it wants to do to maximize its revenue. BB.com does pay for the referrals TA does make.

But this isn't the case with everyone. My friends are listed on bandb.com but they don't show these links with their TA listing.
I wonder if it is related to the property name. I have seen several times where if people are inconsistent with their property name then sometims connections between different sources don't get made.
Example:
on Google local they used "XYZ House B&B" but on TripAdvisor they used "XYZhouse Bed and Breakfast" so Google didn't make the connection that these two were the same property so the TA reviews didn't get pulled into Google. Once they made both property names the same, the two items connected.
It is possible the same thing happened. Perhaps the name on bandb.com is not exactly the same on Trip Advisor so the two items are not connected.
With this new form of interconnected web resources it is more crucial than ever to remain consistent in the use of the inn's name.

I wonder if it is related to the property name. I have seen several times where if people are inconsistent with their property name then sometims connections between different sources don't get made.
Example:
on Google local they used "XYZ House B&B" but on TripAdvisor they used "XYZhouse Bed and Breakfast" so Google didn't make the connection that these two were the same property so the TA reviews didn't get pulled into Google. Once they made both property names the same, the two items connected.
It is possible the same thing happened. Perhaps the name on bandb.com is not exactly the same on Trip Advisor so the two items are not connected.
With this new form of interconnected web resources it is more crucial than ever to remain consistent in the use of the inn's name..
swirt said:
Example:
With this new form of interconnected web resources it is more crucial than ever to remain consistent in the use of the inn's name.
My listing is exactly the same name on both places. Originally, when this was first noticed, my B&B also had links back to bandb.com from TA, now it does not. For my town, the only B&B's with the links from TA to bandb are the ones who have done Expedia in the past, even if they are not doing it now.
Not all of the B&B's are on Webervations, nor do they have the same level on bandb.
The only connection I can make, looking only at my town, is the Expedia list. But catlady is saying that is not true for her friends. Then again, when is ANYTHING consistent online? Remember a few weeks ago when Google local only showed 3 B&B's for my town? Now it's back to 10.
How about reviews? Does one place have reviews on bandb and the other place doesn't?

Hey guys -
We are testing a lot of different things with Trip Advisor. Ultimately it is up to them what they display - so even if we send them info on a particular B&B, it may not get displayed at all. We are trying to work out as best a solution as we can to get more and better information onto Trip Advisor, realizing that they are an advertising site and have to act accordingly. At some point we'll have a better idea what the long-term relationship will look like, and should be able to better convey the information. At this point, unfortunately I can't guarantee any member is going to be linked from anywhere on their site though, nor do I know the exact formula for how it works.
Sorry I can't be more clear on it, but I can tell you that we have spent a lot of time and money over the past few months trying to get something to happen.
JB

Hey guys -
We are testing a lot of different things with Trip Advisor. Ultimately it is up to them what they display - so even if we send them info on a particular B&B, it may not get displayed at all. We are trying to work out as best a solution as we can to get more and better information onto Trip Advisor, realizing that they are an advertising site and have to act accordingly. At some point we'll have a better idea what the long-term relationship will look like, and should be able to better convey the information. At this point, unfortunately I can't guarantee any member is going to be linked from anywhere on their site though, nor do I know the exact formula for how it works.
Sorry I can't be more clear on it, but I can tell you that we have spent a lot of time and money over the past few months trying to get something to happen.
JB.
Thanks for the explanation John. It sounds like they may be doing some split testing as well to see what adds or draws down their users. That would explain why seemingly randomly some properties have them and some don't.

Hey guys -
JB.
Hmmm...that's the best non-explanation explanation that I've ever heard
wink_smile.gif
Have you been thinking about politics, John? tee hee hee... j/k :)

Hey guys -
JB.
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Hmm... Austin mayor is up-for-grabs...

Hey guys -
JB.
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
Don't tell me Leslie isn't running again? haha!

Hey guys -
JB.
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
John, as a doting Daddy there has to be a bit more recent photo of the rugrats.

Example:
With this new form of interconnected web resources it is more crucial than ever to remain consistent in the use of the inn's name..
swirt said:
Example:
My listing is exactly the same name on both places. Originally, when this was first noticed, my B&B also had links back to bandb.com from TA, now it does not. For my town, the only B&B's with the links from TA to bandb are the ones who have done Expedia in the past, even if they are not doing it now.
Not all of the B&B's are on Webervations, nor do they have the same level on bandb.
The only connection I can make, looking only at my town, is the Expedia list. But catlady is saying that is not true for her friends. Then again, when is ANYTHING consistent online? Remember a few weeks ago when Google local only showed 3 B&B's for my town? Now it's back to 10.
How about reviews? Does one place have reviews on bandb and the other place doesn't?
Bree said:
Same here Bree - when this topic came up a few weeks ago, I checked my TA listing. It was interesting as when I pressed pictures, hotel.com came up, amenities and Orbitz came up and then details bandb came up - BUT they seemed to rotate...as to which site it would pull. This afternoon after reading this thread the 1st time, bandb was not in the mix but the others were, tonight checking one more time before posting - all links lead to expedia (the 1 place I am not listed)
So John, I can understand your 'policial' answer on this - but the only real answer is 'who knows'!

Hey guys -
JB.
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
gillumhouse said:
They are getting bigger!
IMG_1086-small.jpg

Hey guys -
JB.
wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
wink_smile.gif
gillumhouse said:
They are getting bigger!
IMG_1086-small.jpg

How sweet they are.
regular_smile.gif

Back