TA Redesigned Tourism pages

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to search and do some finagling to find it this way as well. I noted the state, then town and found it, and there we are #1 with the reviews and all our photos submitted. Not sure if mgmt photos come up first, or if it is due to them being added most recently.

The change is not everywhere just yet. I check TA regularly on a LOT of different inns and some places have the new design, some don't. It seems to be in rolling out one city/town at a time...

It doesn't come up this way when I did a search for our town????.
What I think is confusing is everyone thinks the landing page has changed, which from what I see, it has not.
You have to do the search and then click on a tab on the left side for "tourism page" and then you'll see it.
It's a minor thing they have done to appease the B&Bs that paid the $300 to find the B&B tab disappear on the landing page. The landing page still has the B&B tab hidden behind the hotel page.
I have never noticed or clicked on the Tourism tab before, and don't think many others will either unless they have time to waste...
RIki

You don't know if it is there and will be moved though, they may have put it there as a test.
Better the devil you know, y'all. If TA is working with us, lets make sure we work back. Prev to 1 year ago we never really had a standing on TA. If Innkeepers get their STUFF on there maybe they will see how efficient we can be and work with us even more. Never say never.

You don't know if it is there and will be moved though, they may have put it there as a test.
Better the devil you know, y'all. If TA is working with us, lets make sure we work back. Prev to 1 year ago we never really had a standing on TA. If Innkeepers get their STUFF on there maybe they will see how efficient we can be and work with us even more. Never say never..
My blog post today on this topic:
Improvement to Tourism Pages on TripAdvisor Helpful for B&Bs, Add Value to Business Listings for Innkeepers
Cape-May2.jpg

Recently some changes were being tested on TripAdvisor’s “Tourism Pages” and it seemed there was a threat that B&Bs would be obscured on these all-important pages. Tourism Pages (or city pages, as I like to call them) are where many travelers go to learn about a destination – many times before even thinking about where they’re going to stay. I had a recent fantasy of taking my wife to Cinque Terre, Italy, (after a great recommendation to go there from the fantastic innkeeper at Akwaaba DC, Kristin Singleton), and I started my homework on Cinque Terre on TripAdvisor. The Tourism Page is where I started my homework. I imagine a lot of travelers do the same, although I’m sure many already know about your inn and go directly to TripAdvisor to read reviews. Nevertheless, exposure for B&Bs on the Tourism Pages is very important, which is why some innkeepers reported concern that “Top-Rated B&Bs” were disappearing from some Tourism Pages. Only “Top-Rated Hotels” were showing. This was all during what appeared to be some beta testing by TripAdvisor, because it was happening in some cities, but not others.
TripAdvisor started to hear the complaints right away from innkeepers. Our Innkeeping Forum was buzzing with discussion, and some innkeepers were encouraging folks to start a campaign to get as many innkeepers as possible to submit grievances. And this was all happening at the same time TripAdvisor was offering a 50% off deal to innkeepers on their relatively new Business Listings program. You can read all about that here, but the gist is – pay an annual fee and have your phone, email and web link added to your TripAdvisor property page. Innkeepers on the fence about Business Listings were scratching their heads – why pay for Business Listings if B&Bs can’t be readily found on the Tourism Pages like they had been for years?
I give credit to TripAdvisor. They have some senior staff who are involved with PAII. Brian Payea, their Trade Relations Manager, pops in from time-to-time on our forum to offer innkeepers advice, clear up misunderstandings and to announce things like the changes made earlier this week to the Tourism Pages. They listen to what innkeepers have to say. I’ve been meeting with them regularly for nearly two years, and they’ve always been willing to listen – and have made some improvements to their site based on our ongoing dialogue. So, what changes were made this week? First of all, “Top-Rated B&Bs” are back on the pages. Thank you, TripAdvisor! Furthermore, if you go to a Tourism Page that has more B&Bs than hotels, you’ll notice that “Top-Rated B&B”s are shown above “Top-Rated Hotels.” This makes good sense for the web site visitor, because if they’re checking out a town with more B&Bs than hotels, they’re probably more interested in B&Bs. This is TripAdvisor’s way of improving the experience for the web site visitor. When doing homework on Cape May, New Jersey, it makes good sense to showcase the B&Bs first.
On Tourism Pages where hotels outnumber B&Bs, like Gettysburg, Pennsylvania,“Top-Rated Hotels” are displayed above “Top-Rated B&Bs.” No problem with that, since the B&Bs are back on the page.
For towns where there are a small handful of total properties (B&Bs and hotels), like Lititz, Pennsylvania, they have co-mingled both types of properties under “Top-Rated Accommodations.” I think this is a great improvement too, because you’re going to find that B&Bs are generally better rated than hotels, and this allows these properties to shine. It makes sense too. If you have a town with one decent hotel, two bad motels and one really good B&B, this allows the right property to be seen as an attractive option stacked against others.
Knowing the 50% off Business Listings promotion that TripAdvisor has been running with PAII comes to an end on May 8, the questions have been coming in at a faster pace – is it worth the money? I spoke at the Preferred Inns of New Jersey meeting yesterday and the Minnesota B&B Association conference on Monday and Tuesday this week – it was a popular question among attendees. With only about 3 months of hindsight (Business Listings launched in January), it’s a tough question to answer with absolute authority. Based on what I’ve heard from innkeepers who are tracking the traffic from their new links and my own opinion – yes, I think it’s worth it. And I think these changes to the Tourism Pages improve the investment, because B&Bs have a better chance of shining brightly – especially where they likely deserve it. Plus, the promotional pricing will not last long, so now is the best time to jump in with two feet.
Plus, TripAdvisor may soon be experiencing even more traffic, now that Facebook has integrated their new Open Graph program with TripAdvisor. Learn more about that here.
If interested in signing up your B&B for Business Listings, go to www.tripadvisor.com/BusinessListings and use the coupon code "TRIPDISC" to get 50% off.

Interesting. I wonder how they decide whose photos to put up there.

Interesting. I wonder how they decide whose photos to put up there..
Morticia said:
Interesting. I wonder how they decide whose photos to put up there.
All I know is if you don't have them up, then they will be someone else's.
As mgmt/owner you can add as many as you like. They ALL go up there, and it might be alphabetical, not sure this is what I have asked, but for the time being don't want the answer as all of mine are there first. Shhh!! Keep the hotels in the dark...please.

Back