TA review: grrr

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I just saw this recent review on TA of a local hotel. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. The horror.
We reserved a room at this hotel for a softball tournament. The tournament was cancelled so we tried to cancel around 2pm on the day of the reservation. The hotel wouldn't accept our cancellation because it was against their policy and continued to charge us for the full price. They could've at least refunded half of our money if not all. Days Inn corporate seemed disappointed but still couldn't or wouldn't override it. No thank you! NEVER again!
Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

We got a similar one when we were doing one of those grou pon type of things. They couldn't book the day they wanted to so gave us a 1 review. Customer service in front of the world hahahah.

If they were ON the team and not just fans, the hotel stay is generally covered thru a contract made by the team. This is one reason we don't like having the player's parents staying with us. If the team goes home after the first round, the parents want to leave also.
One year, we had the winning team's parents and they didn't come back until after the awards! 1 PM. And then the kids wanted to shower before getting in the car. Peeved does not cover it. $50 late check-out fee did not cover it. After 1 PM you've got the room for another night. Enjoy.
I just had lunch this week with another innkeeper who loves to say, 'You get the worst people.'

After all - it was the hotel's fault the tournament was cnacelled!!!

And most people will see the review for what it is, sour grapes from irresponsible people. But on the other hand, it stays there for all to see that you are responsible for your actions... and stupid enough to post so that everyone can see it as well.

Agree with Eric. It at least stresses that the hotel sticks by their policies and I think people will get it.
I was just reading some reviews of a nearby attraction. One writer was spewing the details of the reason she felt justified not calling to cancel her tour. This tour has limited seating - much like our business. They missed the tour they booked but drove out to make another... no phone call. And she wondered why the tour gave them grief!

And most people will see the review for what it is, sour grapes from irresponsible people. But on the other hand, it stays there for all to see that you are responsible for your actions... and stupid enough to post so that everyone can see it as well..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
And most people will see the review for what it is, sour grapes from irresponsible people.
Yes, but the 1-star review still hurts the place's overall rating, and it takes a lot of good reviews to overcome one bad one in that respect.

And most people will see the review for what it is, sour grapes from irresponsible people. But on the other hand, it stays there for all to see that you are responsible for your actions... and stupid enough to post so that everyone can see it as well..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
And most people will see the review for what it is, sour grapes from irresponsible people.
Yes, but the 1-star review still hurts the place's overall rating, and it takes a lot of good reviews to overcome one bad one in that respect.
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
About 10- 5 star reviews to move up each slot that you drop. BTDT.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
From at least one review, it looks like they are pushing their guests to review anyway.

Yes but wait, doesn't the guest in a hotel have the option to cancel until 6 PM on the day of the reservation? It used to be this way, has it changed?
In that case, the 2 o'clock cancelation would be "alright".

Yes but wait, doesn't the guest in a hotel have the option to cancel until 6 PM on the day of the reservation? It used to be this way, has it changed?
In that case, the 2 o'clock cancelation would be "alright"..
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
With many online hotel bookings these days, if you go for the lowest online room rate it's non-refundable from the time you make the reservation. Some let you cancel up to 2 or 3 days before your stay.
But to get a room you can cancel up to 6 p.m. day of, you generally have to pay the full room rate, not a discount rate.

The key, obviously, is to be aware of and understand the cancelation policy whenever you make a reservation anywhere.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
With many online hotel bookings these days, if you go for the lowest online room rate it's non-refundable from the time you make the reservation. Some let you cancel up to 2 or 3 days before your stay.
But to get a room you can cancel up to 6 p.m. day of, you generally have to pay the full room rate, not a discount rate.
Oh this drives me nuts. Why does everyone want something for nothing?
Two days ago I had a couple and their friend ask for a discount for a 2 night stay in two cottages. I need the cash right now, so I made a deal. They came, they spent the first night, they spend the next day out and about, came back around 4:30. they came to the office at 5Pm and told me that one of them isn't feeling well and that they were going home. Could I please refund this night ? "NO" I said. Could they get a raincheck? "no". What the heck are these people thinking? I am waiting for the angry TA report. Blah

The world we live in, everyone whines and complains about everything.
I have a very good example but won't bore you, it is still eating at me. If 99% is incredible, there may be one small issue, and THAT is what they write about, gripe about.
They demand to check in early, then write a review about the terrible dust, when there was a talcum-bomber in the room before them.
We need to stick to our rules, this is the best thing we can do, it is give and take - good and bad, but in the end it all comes out in the wash.
thumbs_up.gif
To quote another innmate, don't do it if you know it will cause you strife forever, and you won't be able to handle it. (That is a paraphrase) I let people off at random, no one but me needs to know.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Two days ago I had a couple and their friend ask for a discount for a 2 night stay in two cottages. I need the cash right now, so I made a deal. They came, they spent the first night, they spend the next day out and about, came back around 4:30. they came to the office at 5Pm and told me that one of them isn't feeling well and that they were going home. Could I please refund this night ? "NO" I said. Could they get a raincheck? "no". What the heck are these people thinking? I am waiting for the angry TA report. Blah
I just had a booked 2-night leave after one night. She said when they told me they are homesick and want to get home that she does not expect a refund as they booked 2 nights and know I will not be able to rerent. DH thought I should not charge for tonight - but as I told him, if I let them off it will be expected elsewhere and I am not doing that to my fellow innkeepers. I ran the card for both nights.
Crazy diet needs - and I did spend extra getting ready for them - one was GF no eggs and the other was vegetarian & lactose intolerant. I made pumpkin raisin muffins (they took the leftovers and asked for the recipe which I copied), baked oatmeal, and I had coconut milk for her coffee and soy milk for the cooking plus soy yogurt. I almost made a loaf of bread last night but decided I was going to make a GF cornbread for Sunday breakfast - saved that expense. Very nice couple. I hope they come back - even though cooking for them is a pain.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Because people have taught them that behaving badly will get them things. It started when they were a child and they threw a temper tantrum. Their parents placated them, always. Their parents never let them cry it out, taught them to live without. It's the same people who max out their credit cards, because they want what they want and haven't been taught responsibility, budgeting, life. And the bill will come due... it's those same people who haven't saved for retirement...

Do good deed goes unpunished. Just had this happen with a regular that I let slide on a couple of things and was taken advantage of: that give an inch and they take a mile. LESSON LEARNED, once again!

Back