Table Cloth, Placemat, Glass, on top dining room table or tables?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
When we stayed at The First Colony Inn in Nags Head (Outer Banks) NC I kinda liked the idea of the glass over the table cloth. They had indivi tables. I remember asking about that or even that thick plastic you see some places. Since we are in a new spot here with new innkeepers - what do you have? What would you like to have? What do you prefer?
Table Cloth over the whole table?
Placemats for each plate and/or runner?
Glass over the wood top?
Glass over the tablecloth?
Thick Heavy Plastic over tablecloth?
Plexiglass over tablecloth?
Any Other Ideas?
I remember one innkeeper mentioning tablecloths getting tucked into guests as they arose from the table at her 4 seaters.
Here are the pics from First Colony Inn

We use tablecloths or placemats, no glass or plexiglass. I'm not crazy about that idea - it feels a little institutional to me and not as homey. Plus I like changing the table's look every morning, although DH is the one who sets it.
Jeanne

The reason I like the glass over the whole table is it shows the wood. But then the room can be more bland and not as colorful like a tablecloth or bright placemats make it.
Our table is really lovely and noone has ever seen it. I have three layers or table cloth on it before the main one the guests see.
Best place to find large tabelcloths - Burlington Coat Factory! Reasonably priced and the same tabelcloth will be in ALL sizes (usually very hard to find them for a table that seats 10-12)

We use place mats (cloth) on our antique drop leaf tables now. But when we go to five suites may have to change ..although drop leaf tables are easy to find in local antique stores and no more than buying new.
Riki

Sometimes I use table cloths and sometimes just the wood table top. I also use placemats most of the time even over a table cloth or just on the wood table top.

Like you, we have a beautiful table and no one's ever seen it.
The glass tops are nice to wipe off and have new guests sitting down, like at a restaurant. You can have the table cloth and still wipe.
I use a vinyl, soft backed tablecloth on the wood, topped with a pretty one. For repeat guests I change the look each day, although I've got one favorite tablecloth that's on the table all the time (except when it's in the wash). It's my favorite because it's pretty, and because the swirly, floral pattern hides coffee drips.
=) Kk.

The glass tops are nice to wipe off and have new guests sitting down, like at a restaurant. You can have the table cloth and still wipe.
I use a vinyl, soft backed tablecloth on the wood, topped with a pretty one. For repeat guests I change the look each day, although I've got one favorite tablecloth that's on the table all the time (except when it's in the wash). It's my favorite because it's pretty, and because the swirly, floral pattern hides coffee drips.
=) Kk..
Kk, is your vinyl table cloth one you bought as a table cloth to fit or off the roll cut to length?
I hadn't thought about that, but I think there are times I would like to do that too. Will look into it.

We use tablecloths when we serve inside and fabric place mats when we serve in the gazebo. (we seat everyone at once at the same table)
If we had smaller tables that had to be turned over for other guests I would definitely consider glass tops. I would stay away from the plastic tops as it only take one swipe with a green scrubbie (or repeated swipes withpaper towel) to make it look frosted and scratched, which gives the impression of not being clean.

Me. My guests pull the tablecloths off the table. I've watched as a couple will be eating and pretty soon the wife has no tablecloth on her side and her plate and coffee are halfway across the table. Husband has pulled the whole thing practically into his lap. (BTW, always the husband, never the reverse.)
I did make runners instead just to have some color on the tables. The tables and the wallpaper are similarly shaded so it was a bit to bland. The runners have worked out better. I think because they are narrow. Elbows on the table don't hit them, so no pulling. On my 4-tops I just put 2 runners at a 90 degree angle to each other.
I wanted to know about glass toppers before and one response was that they can break if leaned on the wrong way. Plus, if I get 'pullers' they'd have the glass on the floor as well.
Still have more runners to finish up before it gets too busy. Easy as pie to do, too. Each one cost about $3-4 to make.
I vote for no plastic, it scratches and gets greasy feeling. But, I do know that guests are loath to put their fork down on the wood tabletop. And I still don't have fork rests.

=) Kk..
Kk, is your vinyl table cloth one you bought as a table cloth to fit or off the roll cut to length?
I hadn't thought about that, but I think there are times I would like to do that too. Will look into it.
It's just a big vinyl table cloth with a soft backing I bought on sale at Wal-Mart. I actually got three (blue, green and patterned) because they were cheap. Somehow I ruined the blue one, which actually matches the room and could be on there without a tablecloth on top. (Now it's my BBQ grill cover.) The green one stays on there all the time, then I throw a tablecloth on top. It's rectangular and the table is oblong (it's round with no leaves), so sometimes I have to fuss with the top cloth to hide the vinyl one. It's long enough to cover with all the leaves in. When they're not all in I either fold the ends under, or I let it hang long on the end where no one is sitting. I suppose I should look into getting some custom cut ones (leaves in and out), but this works fine.
I forgot to say I also use placemats on top of the tablecloths. I didn't use them at first, but now that I've found some I like I've found it's cut down on washing the tablecloths significantly. Since I'd much rather wash and iron the placemats, I've been very happy about that.
=) Kk.

=) Kk..
It's my favorite because it's pretty, and because the swirly, floral pattern hides coffee drips.
I have that same one.

I was about to post a question similar to this one...scarry
I have a nice wooden diningroom table, but it is glossy on top. I am usuing place mats only so we can enjoy the looks of the tabe. But this morning I noticed that the scratches are taking over....I am looking for a easy way to save my table. Maybe I just have to use tablecloth, which I have beautiful Lacy ones....
Any other suggestions?

I have a nice wooden diningroom table, but it is glossy on top. I am usuing place mats only so we can enjoy the looks of the tabe. But this morning I noticed that the scratches are taking over....I am looking for a easy way to save my table. Maybe I just have to use tablecloth, which I have beautiful Lacy ones....
Any other suggestions?.
We never had much luck with lace. They pick up stains and because they were all a solid color, the stains stuck out. We've had much better luck with solid color table cloths that have a tectured pattern woven into them (ours are like a paisley pattern). They launder well, don't seem to show wrinkles and they don't show stains. I think DW got them from Burlington Coat Factory.

Any other suggestions?.
We never had much luck with lace. They pick up stains and because they were all a solid color, the stains stuck out. We've had much better luck with solid color table cloths that have a tectured pattern woven into them (ours are like a paisley pattern). They launder well, don't seem to show wrinkles and they don't show stains. I think DW got them from Burlington Coat Factory.
Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind.

Any other suggestions?.
I have some tables and chairs that are all the same natural wood grain with a coat of stain and polyurethane for a shiny finish. the problem is that they are all slightly different shades of stain. i am moving to a new house this summer and don't necessarily want to buy new furniture unless refinishing my current pieces would be too difficult. what will it take to do this?
wooden filing cabinet 2 drawer

we have a white table cloth topped with a blue one but we are always washing the top ones show every ruddy mark!

I have a wood table. I have it covered in a heavy glass topper. I used table cloths some times or place mats. It depenps on the dishes I use. The glass topper stays on at all times. It is easyer using cloth place matts and cloth napkins on top of glass.
Glass toppers are good BUT ... depends on the peoples jewlery. And ladies purses. They scratch the glass plus some of mans watches .In a few years one must replace the glass topper. For cleaning glass top a good window cleaner works best. Some glass cleaners leave a flim on after multi using.
If one finds using table cloths some times gets pulled away then try using a cloth that only drops down at the edge by 4 to 6 inches. If it is just above ones lap it tends to be caught when some gets up from the table. I have mine drop 3 inches from the edge . It has stopped the table cloth being taken off when they get up.

My wood table was "pre-distressed" when we bought it from the Sears scratch & dent room while the 2-legged animals were still at home. I keep the last breakfast's tablecloth on it (unless stained) until the next breakfast or dinner - a new tablecloth for each breakfast or dinner. And I do not iron tablecloths!

We have glass on top of the tablecloth. Its for easy cleaning of the glass and I have not used a placemat at this B & B-I like the fact that I don't have to wash tablecloths. In WV we did real tablecloths and it was ok until there was a stain and then hope that the stain comes out. We use real napkins and with the glass you can see your pretty tablecloth as well and you can change it according to season or occasion. And if you want a tablecloth on top of the glass thats an option too.
It just depends on your preference.

We have a hand-made dining farm house table made from old distressed wood. We use individual placemats.

Back