Tablecloths

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I'm wanting to use tablecloths on the breakfast tables. I grew up with tablecloths at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and formica the other 363 days of the year, so I'm no tablecloth expert and nobody else around here is, either.
I assume they must be washed daily, and I'm wondering how hard it is to keep them looking nice (i.e. getting jelly stains out). Do most folks use white? Solid colors? Patterns?
Maybe I should make some have somebody make me some out of the bedsheets to extend the luxury experience
regular_smile.gif

We have 2 table cloths on each table one is white cotton and the top one is dark blue nylon take a look at ou web site photo gallery for what I mean. We just change the top one and because they are nylon they don't stain and don't need ironing.

I make my own tablecloths. I don't wash them everyday unless they have been severely stained. Getting them pretreated and in the wash quickly is important, tho. Mine are all patterned so I avoid the nasty grease and coffee stain problem. If you have enough backups, you can wash them everyday. I'm making another set today. By making my own I can get whatever seasonal colors and patterns I want.

I have solid colors, prints, one lacy one that was a Christmas present from a friend. Most have matching napkins although the napkins I use most have an embroidered monogram G done by a friend.
I change tablecloths for each meal (I have one communal table) but the last used remains on the table until the next meal (we do not use the dining room normally) unless messed up badly. I have had blueberry stains, blackberry or black raspberry jelly, and wine stains, lipstick on napkins... I have had to toss 2 or 3 napkins in 14 years, but only one tablecloth (due to fraying age). I use Murphy's oil soap on the stain, rub a bit, and toss in the wash with everything else. The tablecloths are a cotton/poly blend.
If I have a 2-night rez with a dinner, I use 3 tablecloths during that rez.

I make my own tablecloths. I don't wash them everyday unless they have been severely stained. Getting them pretreated and in the wash quickly is important, tho. Mine are all patterned so I avoid the nasty grease and coffee stain problem. If you have enough backups, you can wash them everyday. I'm making another set today. By making my own I can get whatever seasonal colors and patterns I want..
I do have to say that the lightweight fabrics I started out using have stained the worst. Mostly butter I'd say. I don't even like to use those tablecloths any longer. They're for emergency use only.
Now I buy heavier all cotton fabrics that are labeled 'dry clean only' and I throw them in the wash. They drape well, wash up well and hold their color better. Altho, they are fading and they've only been in use this season. Thus the new ones.
If anyone else is thinking of making their own, I finally caught on to this trick...have the fabric counter cut the pieces to the length you want then all you have to do is sew them up! No cutting required at home.
I also use the 'under' layer like Camb. But only in the winter when I need more color in the room. I have a red and a brown under layer.

I used mostly placemats for our table. Tablecloths were too much of a hassle for me. I did on some occasions use them. If you are having individual tables rather than a common table, you may want to consider getting glass tops to put over the tablecloth. This way you don't have to clean them every day. I do not suggest the plexiglass toppers. A local restaurant here just put them on their tables and after only 2 weeks, they already look terrible because the have been scratched by dishes, plastic table tents, silverware etc. :-(
I knew that would happen as I have plexiglass on my own desktop and it gets scratched like crazy. Ok for me at home..but not ok in a public business.

I make my own tablecloths. I don't wash them everyday unless they have been severely stained. Getting them pretreated and in the wash quickly is important, tho. Mine are all patterned so I avoid the nasty grease and coffee stain problem. If you have enough backups, you can wash them everyday. I'm making another set today. By making my own I can get whatever seasonal colors and patterns I want..
Morticia said:
I make my own tablecloths. I don't wash them everyday unless they have been severely stained. Getting them pretreated and in the wash quickly is important, tho. Mine are all patterned so I avoid the nasty grease and coffee stain problem. If you have enough backups, you can wash them everyday. I'm making another set today. By making my own I can get whatever seasonal colors and patterns I want.
Where do you get your table cloth fabric? Fabric store?

Morticia said:
Nandor said:
Morticia said:
Jo Ann's. We also have a 'remainders' kind of store here where old bolts of fabric go to die. I can get some high-end name-brand quilt fabrics there for half off.

Our guests eat in their rooms, so their dining tables have a nice tablecloth with the glass top. I only have to launder the tablecloths about once a year or if someone spills something on the side of it.
If no glass tops, I like the white underneath table cloth with a colorful smaller one on top.
If you have nice wood tables, you better cover them. If things can get scratched and ruined, then it's only a matter of time before it is.

I have made the table cloths for the smaller 2 person tables, which we do cover with quarter inch glass, with contoured edges. But for the big central table that will seat 8, we need table cloths at least 70 inches wide, the 60's usually available won't fit. 70" wide and 120" long fits. Please share where you find the best fabrics that are wide enough to fit 70". Thanks.

I used solid damask tablecloths, often with placemats on top. Placemats that could be wiped off, like a nicer heavy dyed woven straw (found them at Pier One) or some of the newer fabric varieties that are very stain resistant. I liked a darker, no iron poly blend. Everything got washed every single day and changed out for the next day. I also rotated the china, glassware, and flatware daily and sometimes used chargers. I do have some fabric placemats that launder well but require ironing.
I also found that table runners work well. Longer ones for down the center of the table and short ones on the side. They act as a placemat. I had those in seasonal prints as well as solids.
It really depends on what type of vibe or theme or whatever that you want to offer. A local place uses glass top tables but puts tablecloths on them for a more formal look on occasion. In your situation, I'd stay away from materials that need ironing unless you'll have a linen service.

I have made the table cloths for the smaller 2 person tables, which we do cover with quarter inch glass, with contoured edges. But for the big central table that will seat 8, we need table cloths at least 70 inches wide, the 60's usually available won't fit. 70" wide and 120" long fits. Please share where you find the best fabrics that are wide enough to fit 70". Thanks.
Usually JoAnn Fabrics or similar fabric store carries tablecloth fabric in appropriate widths. I have also found it in fabric stories that cater to Amish/Mennonites...but that all depends on where you live.

Again, check in Jo Ann's if that is available in your area. They are stocking 'quilt backing' fabrics that are generally double the width of the normal fabric. There are also furniture fabrics that are wider. You can custom order there as well.

Again, check in Jo Ann's if that is available in your area. They are stocking 'quilt backing' fabrics that are generally double the width of the normal fabric. There are also furniture fabrics that are wider. You can custom order there as well.
Just GOOGLE...you can order on line. Here's one.

You can find really good buys on tablecloths and other things for the table just after any holiday, too. I've been really lucky that way. I've bought really large tablecloths for as little as $5 after a holiday. Bought some great ones that are M artha S tewart brand at K Mart that held up extremely well.

I have solid colors, prints, one lacy one that was a Christmas present from a friend. Most have matching napkins although the napkins I use most have an embroidered monogram G done by a friend.
I change tablecloths for each meal (I have one communal table) but the last used remains on the table until the next meal (we do not use the dining room normally) unless messed up badly. I have had blueberry stains, blackberry or black raspberry jelly, and wine stains, lipstick on napkins... I have had to toss 2 or 3 napkins in 14 years, but only one tablecloth (due to fraying age). I use Murphy's oil soap on the stain, rub a bit, and toss in the wash with everything else. The tablecloths are a cotton/poly blend.
If I have a 2-night rez with a dinner, I use 3 tablecloths during that rez..
gillumhouse said:
Most have matching napkins although the napkins I use most have an embroidered monogram G done by a friend.
Ow! I hadn't even thought about napkins! But in for a penny, in for a pound. If I'm going to do the cloth tablecloths, chargers, knife rests, etc. (known as the whole gillumhouse treatment) I'll need matching napkins and cool napkin rings.
We've just not done enough fancy dining to know what to do. I have studying to do.
And, as I repeat often, I need to get out more!
I'm planning to remove the tablecloths after breakfast each day. Evening will be the more rustic pub atmosphere. I'm looking for tables that look old. I may have to beat them with chains a bit. I don't care if they have circles from glasses on them. Pubs are comfortable family places. That's why I like them so much. Well, that and the beer.

Just GOOGLE...you can order on line. Here's one.
Thanks!

gillumhouse said:
Most have matching napkins although the napkins I use most have an embroidered monogram G done by a friend.
Ow! I hadn't even thought about napkins! But in for a penny, in for a pound. If I'm going to do the cloth tablecloths, chargers, knife rests, etc. (known as the whole gillumhouse treatment) I'll need matching napkins and cool napkin rings.
We've just not done enough fancy dining to know what to do. I have studying to do.
I'm planning to remove the tablecloths after breakfast each day. Evening will be the more rustic pub atmosphere. I'm looking for tables that look old. I may have to beat them with chains a bit. I don't care if they have circles from glasses on them. Pubs are comfortable family places. That's why I like them so much. Well, that and the beer.
Arks, you can always seal your tables really well with polyurethane. :)

gillumhouse said:
Samster said:
Yes, that's what I think I'll do. Buy some aged-looking ones, "age" them some more, then give several coats of polyurethane. That'll make good pub tables at night, ready for the spilled wine and beer, then I'll cover them each morning to give a classier look for breakfast.

gillumhouse said:
You just need to come experience the whole Gillum House treatment!
I have a drawer full of tablecloths so unless there is a stain that needs attened to immediately, I collect enough for a load and I line dry as much as possible. Whowever they are dried, I try to fold right away because I ONLY iron pillowcases and dresser scarves.
I have 3 sets of dishes and 3 patterns of silver so I can switch out. My charges are silver and gold in the plastic ones and the glass ones are red and were a gift of a very sweet innmate. The place settings make food taste better too (perseption). We use wine goblets for juice glasses, water goblets for water (although many guests use those for juice) and stemmed sherbets for fruit. I have an assortment of goblets and stemware in many colors to mix & match with my mood.

Back