Takes All Kinds

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Fortunately, we've had just wonderful guests lately. After the summer started with the horrible dog (btw, they even tried to get the court case thrown out, but didn't succeed...court date next month) people, then the horrible cell people, I was afraid the rest of the summer would be intolerable. Phew! Not the case.
We did have a couple 2 nights ago (mid 50s) that really bugged me. You know the kind I mean. I greeted them with a big smile and the whole feeling of the house changed. I got the "look" from the wife. The way she looked at everything, like she was the queen and nothing around here was worth her energy and aren't I lucky that they will be staying with me because they really should have stayed at that $600 a night place with the ocean front, with furnishings from Crate & Barrel because that's what they have at home.
They ordered dinner which I delivered to them on their large deck which overlooks our park-like back yard. Every morsel was eaten. In the morning, they got their breakfast delivered and they again ate on their beautiful deck. Again, ate every morsel. They used the double jacuzzi tub and all the other amenities in their 700 sq ft very private suite.
On check-out, there's the same look as they're going out the door. Think they could say anything nice? Even a "thank you"? Nope, all I got was "bye".
Now, on the grand scope of things, these folks were really nothing to get upset about, but why do people have to be like this??? How does one get that self absorbed??

We run into that when we get 'overflow' from the hotel next door. We don't have a doorman, fulltime front desk, afternoon tea, a pool or $400/night rooms so we're just not up to snuff for them. But, they HAVE to stay somewhere...so they grace us with their presence.

Don't let them get you down. They are disfunctional and probably too insecure to allow anyone else to feel good. Sounds like they had they best of both worlds amazing food and a happy face serving it up. Kudos to you

Don't let them get you down. They are disfunctional and probably too insecure to allow anyone else to feel good. Sounds like they had they best of both worlds amazing food and a happy face serving it up. Kudos to you.
virginia said:
Don't let them get you down. They are disfunctional and probably too insecure to allow anyone else to feel good. Sounds like they had they best of both worlds amazing food and a happy face serving it up. Kudos to you
".
Nah, I'm not down. Just an observation about some types. I've got another one here tonight too. Fortunately, another 1 nighter. This is the time where you say "they pay, they stay, they go away. Happy trails to them.
wink_smile.gif

I'll just say that I would have LOVED to have dinner on your deck and breakfast as well.
Folks bring their "personas" in with them - who they "think" they are while they're traveling - often they feel insecure - traveling makes them react out of their comfort Zone - and of course, by the time they left - they felt so much more relaxed - but would they ever say that to you? Sigh. No, of course not...-
How do we - "down-load" negative energy? Run off the duck's back and all of that? We're still working on that...
Basil Fawlty

I'll just say that I would have LOVED to have dinner on your deck and breakfast as well.
Folks bring their "personas" in with them - who they "think" they are while they're traveling - often they feel insecure - traveling makes them react out of their comfort Zone - and of course, by the time they left - they felt so much more relaxed - but would they ever say that to you? Sigh. No, of course not...-
How do we - "down-load" negative energy? Run off the duck's back and all of that? We're still working on that...
Basil Fawlty.
At least I got a "bye" from them when they left. The next day, in another room, we must have had an invasion of the body snatchers, because their pod people duplicates arrived. Again, fortunately for just 1 night. Except these guests were even more obvious about what wonderful people they both were. These folks left the key in their room after breakfast and just drove off.
I googled him after he left. I think you'll be able to relate to this one Basil. He's a high powered entertainment/music exec. You know the kind I mean
shades_smile.gif
He had no idea (and of course wouldn't care) that I had more in common with him than he would ever have thought. I got a good laugh on that one.
See ya, don't let the door hit ya!

I hope everyone is taking time off to relax, none of us are robots, you need a break. Don't bust yourself up over this business, it is not worth it! LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT.

I hope everyone is taking time off to relax, none of us are robots, you need a break. Don't bust yourself up over this business, it is not worth it! LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT..
I'm not sure if you were addressing that to me personally JB, but I'm actually doing much better both physically and emotionally at this point (end of August) than I was last year.
With these last 2 annoying guests, I've been able to step back and look at the situation more like a 3rd party. Hey, we are what and where we are, our website reflects that, and if people end up with us that are too important or foolish to not only book lodging, but to choose an entire vacation location that doesn't suit them, THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM.
You're absolutely right that we all need to get a little break and relax, even if it's for a few hours. I was able to do that last night and part of today. I spent the night at my "happy house" near the big city for a Dr. appointment today and will go back to the grind late this afternoon. It's been mahvalous!

We've also had some of the most wonderful, sweetest guests lately. A few days ago, we had 2 rooms of newlyweds arriving right after their wedding in their wedding clothes, and a 3rd room that was celebrating their 3rd Anniversary and shared the same wedding date as the newlyweds.
I gotta say, I love our younger guests! The snooty ones tends to be the 50/60 year olds that have been there, done that. Give me the young, fresh faces any time!

I hope everyone is taking time off to relax, none of us are robots, you need a break. Don't bust yourself up over this business, it is not worth it! LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT..
I'm not sure if you were addressing that to me personally JB, but I'm actually doing much better both physically and emotionally at this point (end of August) than I was last year.
With these last 2 annoying guests, I've been able to step back and look at the situation more like a 3rd party. Hey, we are what and where we are, our website reflects that, and if people end up with us that are too important or foolish to not only book lodging, but to choose an entire vacation location that doesn't suit them, THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM.
You're absolutely right that we all need to get a little break and relax, even if it's for a few hours. I was able to do that last night and part of today. I spent the night at my "happy house" near the big city for a Dr. appointment today and will go back to the grind late this afternoon. It's been mahvalous!
Breakfast Diva said:
I am pretty sure I put the word "everyone" in that post.
I am not poking at anyone, I am mentioning it because it is true. Innkeepers are their worst enemies, they think they can go and go and go and never get a break. They are human, they need R&R like every other human.
For anyone who works for even ONE MONTH without a day off, you are killing yourself, let alone those who go for 4 or 6 months without a break. It is ludicrous, and there is no amount of money in the world worth destroying your health and mental well being. We all do it, sometimes we can't even recall how we got there!
To quote the old mcdonalds ads "You deserve a break today"
Sorry if being nice insulted you. I was actually being nice. Reminding everyone how it is, we get stuck and don't realize how important it is.

Breakfast Diva said:
I am not poking at anyone, I am mentioning it because it is true. Innkeepers are their worst enemies, they think they can go and go and go and never get a break. They are human, they need R&R like every other human.
For anyone who works for even ONE MONTH without a day off, you are killing yourself, let alone those who go for 4 or 6 months without a break. It is ludicrous, and there is no amount of money in the world worth destroying your health and mental well being. We all do it, sometimes we can't even recall how we got there!
Sorry if being nice insulted you. I was actually being nice. Reminding everyone how it is, we get stuck and don't realize how important it is.
After the guests left Sunday, DH said let's go take those photos you want. Unfortunately it was so overcast and so much overcast, that I do not think the photos turned out as good as I wanted (probably the photographer though). This is from the top of one ridge on US Rte 250 looking out at the many ridges viewed from there. This is the scenery of my motocycle routes. In Fall this is glorious!
lrg_RidgesFrom%20Rte250.JPG

Breakfast Diva said:
After the guests left Sunday, DH said let's go take those photos you want. Unfortunately it was so overcast and so much overcast, that I do not think the photos turned out as good as I wanted (probably the photographer though). This is from the top of one ridge on US Rte 250 looking out at the many ridges viewed from there. This is the scenery of my motocycle routes. In Fall this is glorious!
lrg_RidgesFrom%20Rte250.JPG

Lovely K.... But you can use the excuse that you need to go back when the leaves start to change. Can't wait to see that picture too.

Breakfast Diva said:
That is a great reminder, JB. I would appreciate it if I was still in the biz. In a mere two years, I did a lot of damage to my health by trying to shoulder too much on my own for two long. Maybe if I had thought about this more when I was an innkeeper, and taken more frequent short breaks before I was ready to crash and burn, I might still be in the business.
I have two more weeks in one of my part-time jobs...I gave one month's notice. I'll pick up more work in the other job which pays much, much better.
Life is short...be kind to yourselves!

Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Uh oh, misinterpretation... I wasn't insulted in the least! I was being positive!!

Back