Taking deposits

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before we switched to ReservationKey, I would print a copy of the reservation confirmation (with all the guests info) then staple the credit card receipt to that. I've had to revise that system now. All deposits are taken automatically when the guest make their reservation online. I enter the information into Quickbooks and keep track of it that way. I print out a single information sheet that's kept in an accordian folder and filed by date of arrival. It the guest requires a receipt other than the one they received online, I print one for them..
Proud Texan said:
I enter the information into Quickbooks and keep track of it that way. I print out a single information sheet that's kept in an accordian folder and filed by date of arrival. It the guest requires a receipt other than the one they received online, I print one for them.
You're printing from Quickbooks? Or ReservationKey?
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
I enter the information into Quickbooks and keep track of it that way. I print out a single information sheet that's kept in an accordian folder and filed by date of arrival. It the guest requires a receipt other than the one they received online, I print one for them.
I print from Quickbooks. I customized my sales receipt in Quickbooks to hold all of the pertinent information copied over from ReservationKey plus any notes. I'm the only one who sees it, so I just added the extra fields that are populated from each customer file. I hate the duplicate entry, but I haven't figured out yet how to get what I need from printing directly from ReservationKey. I welcome any and all suggestions.
Proud Texan said:
I hate the duplicate entry, but I haven't figured out yet how to get what I need from printing directly from ReservationKey. I welcome any and all suggestions.
Don't know if it has what you need, but I just noticed in ResKey on the guest's reservation screen, below where the balance is displayed there's a More button. If you click that then select Print Reservation it gives you a nicely formatted receipt with a print icon in the upper left corner to print it.
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
I hate the duplicate entry, but I haven't figured out yet how to get what I need from printing directly from ReservationKey. I welcome any and all suggestions.
Don't know if it has what you need, but I just noticed in ResKey on the guest's reservation screen, below where the balance is displayed there's a More button. If you click that then select Print Reservation it gives you a nicely formatted receipt with a print icon in the upper left corner to print it.
Wow! I never noticed that. Nice feature. That's definitely what I'll start printing out. That way I don't have to enter in as much customer data into quickbooks.
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Wow! I never noticed that. Nice feature. That's definitely what I'll start printing out. That way I don't have to enter in as much customer data into quickbooks.
Very nice but it gives far more information than what the customer needs. If you print this, only place certain info in your reservation notes box as this is displayed on the printout.
We may want to ask John if he could make another one with just pertinent information to be used as a invoice/reciept. They don't need to see the correspondence and history on it.
In ResKey, I've set my guest invoice up as an e-mail templet. Just enter in the info you want for the guests to have. If you're giving it to them in person, just go into "correspondence", click "invoice", then print.
Breakfast Diva said:
In ResKey, I've set my guest invoice up as an e-mail templet. Just enter in the info you want for the guests to have. If you're giving it to them in person, just go into "correspondence", click "invoice", then print.
Brillant!
lightbulb.gif
Just set this up! The format works well for everything but the GOV employees that need everything including taxes broken out per day. Unfortunately that is 95% of my bus guests so I still need my old invoice system... But for others this will save tons of time!!!

Before we switched to ReservationKey, I would print a copy of the reservation confirmation (with all the guests info) then staple the credit card receipt to that. I've had to revise that system now. All deposits are taken automatically when the guest make their reservation online. I enter the information into Quickbooks and keep track of it that way. I print out a single information sheet that's kept in an accordian folder and filed by date of arrival. It the guest requires a receipt other than the one they received online, I print one for them..
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
I print from Quickbooks. I customized my sales receipt in Quickbooks to hold all of the pertinent information copied over from ReservationKey plus any notes. I'm the only one who sees it, so I just added the extra fields that are populated from each customer file. I hate the duplicate entry, but I haven't figured out yet how to get what I need from printing directly from ReservationKey. I welcome any and all suggestions.
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Very nice but it gives far more information than what the customer needs. If you print this, only place certain info in your reservation notes box as this is displayed on the printout.
We may want to ask John if he could make another one with just pertinent information to be used as a invoice/reciept. They don't need to see the correspondence and history on it.
Breakfast Diva said:
Brillant!
lightbulb.gif
Just set this up! The format works well for everything but the GOV employees that need everything including taxes broken out per day. Unfortunately that is 95% of my bus guests so I still need my old invoice system... But for others this will save tons of time!!!
Can you set up a 2nd GOV invoice with the taxes broken out? I can't remember all the ways you can use the keyword merging.

We have a large date book that we use - one week per page, dates across top, rooms down left margin. We write guest info in each box/date and arrow through the days they are staying - this book was a hand-down from previous owners and has served us just fine so far.
We print customer & merchant copy of CC slip, write cust name & resv date at top of merchant copy. Once a batch has been completed, we scan that batch summary and individual CC slips together in one doc with batch date & batch amount as doc name. Then we clip both CC slips into the book on the guest's arrival date to be signed when they arrive. Once signed, we go back to the original batch (filed by month in batch order) and attach it to the original batch.

We have a large date book that we use - one week per page, dates across top, rooms down left margin. We write guest info in each box/date and arrow through the days they are staying - this book was a hand-down from previous owners and has served us just fine so far.
We print customer & merchant copy of CC slip, write cust name & resv date at top of merchant copy. Once a batch has been completed, we scan that batch summary and individual CC slips together in one doc with batch date & batch amount as doc name. Then we clip both CC slips into the book on the guest's arrival date to be signed when they arrive. Once signed, we go back to the original batch (filed by month in batch order) and attach it to the original batch..
Take a look at your cc machine...you may have a line that shows- customer name- as you are manually processing the deposit. You can use this line to write in the customer name and the arr date with the machine keyboard.
Do you have the guest sign a registration form as well?
Odd how I do the reverse of you...I attach the batch cc slips to the date book until I can balance the checkbook, then I throw all the batch receipts into a shoe box. The signed cc slips stay with the guest reg form.
My method right now is sloppy & time consuming. I have all the incoming cc receipts in an envelope by month. I have to sort thru every day to put the receipt with the reg form so both can be signed.

We print customer & merchant copy of CC slip, write cust name & resv date at top of merchant copy. Once a batch has been completed, we scan that batch summary and individual CC slips together in one doc with batch date & batch amount as doc name. Then we clip both CC slips into the book on the guest's arrival date to be signed when they arrive. Once signed, we go back to the original batch (filed by month in batch order) and attach it to the original batch..
Take a look at your cc machine...you may have a line that shows- customer name- as you are manually processing the deposit. You can use this line to write in the customer name and the arr date with the machine keyboard.
Odd how I do the reverse of you...I attach the batch cc slips to the date book until I can balance the checkbook, then I throw all the batch receipts into a shoe box. The signed cc slips stay with the guest reg form.
My method right now is sloppy & time consuming. I have all the incoming cc receipts in an envelope by month. I have to sort thru every day to put the receipt with the reg form so both can be signed.
We scan them in because the owners live in another state. They can look at the scans and match them up to the bank statement. They are labeled like: 5-16 $985.40 5-18 $239.10. This keeps them in date order in the folder and makes it easy to look up a deposit.
We do not have a registration form. We don't have a long list of rules and instructions. Basically we tell them to keep the doors locked at all times, don't let anyone in and if they need anything they can call the B&B and it goes straight to our cel phone.
I have not seen a spot to put a guest's name and at no point in the processing do I see a way to enter this. I'll have to ask about that. If we hand-key a CC # (as we do with our website reservations) it does not print out a name on the slip. If we swipe a card, the name does appear. It does ask us for check-out date which we do enter. But, the extra information helps the owner in case he wants to look further into any of our rsvps.

We scan them in because the owners live in another state. They can look at the scans and match them up to the bank statement. They are labeled like: 5-16 $985.40 5-18 $239.10. This keeps them in date order in the folder and makes it easy to look up a deposit.
We do not have a registration form. We don't have a long list of rules and instructions. Basically we tell them to keep the doors locked at all times, don't let anyone in and if they need anything they can call the B&B and it goes straight to our cel phone.
I have not seen a spot to put a guest's name and at no point in the processing do I see a way to enter this. I'll have to ask about that. If we hand-key a CC # (as we do with our website reservations) it does not print out a name on the slip. If we swipe a card, the name does appear. It does ask us for check-out date which we do enter. But, the extra information helps the owner in case he wants to look further into any of our rsvps.
I don't know if every machine/processor has that option.
Why I use a registration form- it clearly states the check-out time (and the fee for not checking out on time), the dates the guest reserved, the amount they are agreeing to pay along with a short policy statement on smoking, damage and theft/loss. We've just added a 'food allergy' line which, amazingly, guests have actually been using! Maybe because it is in red.
The reg form may or may not help with a dispute. For us, it is a good record for the accountant.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Brillant!
lightbulb.gif
copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Brillant!
lightbulb.gif
and lest we forget they get to pay for WIFI at hotels and we give it to them for free, add THAT to the per diem!
smileystooges.gif

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, very good idea! I've just set up a reskey template with title Invoice using the stuff below. Can others make suggestions for better formatting and stuff to include? (If there is no "guestcompany" it's just blank there so doesn't mess up the formatting.)
<b><center><p style="font-size:20px">INVOICE<p style="font-size:14px"></center></b>
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}
{{companycity}} {{companystate}} {{companyzip}}

{{companyphone}}
{{companyemail}} {{companywebsite}}
<hr>
INVOICE DATE: {{dateshort}}
GUEST: {{guestcompany}}
{{guestfirstname}} {{guestlastname}}
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
TOTAL PAID: {{amountpaid}}
BALANCE DUE: {{balance}}

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Brillant!
lightbulb.gif
Have you looked into a possible QuickBooks integration/download from ResKey? It's often problematic, but if it's available and you can work out the kinks it might solve your problems.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, very good idea! I've just set up a reskey template with title Invoice using the stuff below. Can others make suggestions for better formatting and stuff to include? (If there is no "guestcompany" it's just blank there so doesn't mess up the formatting.)
<b><center><p style="font-size:20px">INVOICE<p style="font-size:14px"></center></b>
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}

{{companyphone}}
<hr>
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
For us, we always include our policies at the bottom. As well as info about damage, keys taken, etc. and then contact info and phone # etc.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}

{{companyphone}}
<hr>
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
I once complained (in person) to the publisher of a magazine that I thought their subscription invoice was a bit too much with all the 'Included' statments they had. He said I might be surprised to note that it was a big selling point for a subscription to have this long list of 'Includeds' with the invoice. (I wish I had one close by to show what I meant.)
Point being, if this is a business invoice you could add a bunch at the bottom:
  • WiFi - No charge
  • Breakfast - No charge
  • Parking- No charge
If it didn't take so long to hand enter all of that on my form, I'd do it, too. ie- if it was an automatic entry whenever someone made a rez.

The nice thing about the ResKey invoice Breakfast Diva has set up is that, right from the ResKey payment screen you can click Invoice then select to e-mail it, or print it, or edit it to add stuff not on the automatic invoice, and then e-mail it or print it. This is going to be very handy!

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}

{{companyphone}}
<hr>
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
Arkansawyer said:
Breakfast Diva said:
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}

{{companyphone}}
<hr>
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
Personally I like the format of {{resdetails_ledger}} instead as I like my fonts to all be the same. The one thing I do think should be changed (we should request this of John) is the payment line:
Example:
Room A June 5 100.00
taxes 10.00
Total 110.00
6/5/2012 balance 110.00 (this should read Payment, not balance)
Balance 0.00

Why I use a registration form- it clearly states the check-out time (and the fee for not checking out on time), the dates the guest reserved, the amount they are agreeing to pay along with a short policy statement on smoking, damage and theft/loss. We've just added a 'food allergy' line which, amazingly, guests have actually been using! Maybe because it is in red.
The reg form may or may not help with a dispute. For us, it is a good record for the accountant.
in the UK it is a legal requirement to have a registration form for each guest - frankly its a nonsense as you could put anything on it doesn't mean its true I have no way of checking - ie we have a lot of guests stay from the american base they can't say for security reasons where they are going next, when I see them hovering over that box I always say i have no way of checking anything you put you can put anything ie america and they always look relieved.
I do have a section on the bottom which says
1- if there is breakage this will be charged to my card
2- if there is mess that requires extra cleaning time this will be charged to my card
etc then they have to sign this - means if I do have to charge the card for anything I have a leg to stand on as they have directly signed it.

in the UK it is a legal requirement to have a registration form for each guest - frankly its a nonsense as you could put anything on it doesn't mean its true I have no way of checking - ie we have a lot of guests stay from the american base they can't say for security reasons where they are going next, when I see them hovering over that box I always say i have no way of checking anything you put you can put anything ie america and they always look relieved.
I do have a section on the bottom which says
1- if there is breakage this will be charged to my card
2- if there is mess that requires extra cleaning time this will be charged to my card
etc then they have to sign this - means if I do have to charge the card for anything I have a leg to stand on as they have directly signed it.
We don't have to ask where they're going next or where they've been. We are required to have a reg form here as well. Like you said, someone could put anything they want on it in re name, address, etc.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}

{{companyphone}}
<hr>
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
Arkansawyer said:
Breakfast Diva said:
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}

{{companyphone}}
<hr>
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
Personally I like the format of {{resdetails_ledger}} instead as I like my fonts to all be the same. The one thing I do think should be changed (we should request this of John) is the payment line:
Example:
Room A June 5 100.00
taxes 10.00
Total 110.00
Balance 0.00
copperhead said:
The one thing I do think should be changed (we should request this of John) is the payment line:
I noticed that too. Absolutely should be corrected.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}

{{companyphone}}
<hr>
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
Arkansawyer said:
Breakfast Diva said:
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}

{{companyphone}}
<hr>
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
Example:
Room A June 5 100.00
taxes 10.00
Total 110.00
Balance 0.00
copperhead said:
The one thing I do think should be changed (we should request this of John) is the payment line:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Contacted John. This is something we each have control over (who knew?). Here are the directions he sent:
The word "Balance" is showing there because it is the name of the payment category. If you want it to say Payment, just change the word to Payment, or some combination. Such as "Payment (Balance)" and "Payment (Deposit)." See attached screenshot. This is a setting under Settings Tab, Lists. Changes there should affect descriptions on all existing payments immediately.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}

{{companyphone}}
<hr>
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
Arkansawyer said:
Breakfast Diva said:
<hr>
{{companyname}}
{{companyaddress}}

{{companyphone}}
<hr>
{{guestaddress}}
<hr>
RESERVATION DETAILS:
{{resdetails_all}}
Example:
Room A June 5 100.00
taxes 10.00
Total 110.00
Balance 0.00
copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Contacted John. This is something we each have control over (who knew?). Here are the directions he sent:
The word "Balance" is showing there because it is the name of the payment category. If you want it to say Payment, just change the word to Payment, or some combination. Such as "Payment (Balance)" and "Payment (Deposit)." See attached screenshot. This is a setting under Settings Tab, Lists. Changes there should affect descriptions on all existing payments immediately.
copperhead said:
Contacted John. This is something we each have control over (who knew?).
I hadn't thought of that. I DID discover the other day that we have control over almost every word ResKey displays on the website. See "Custom Text" on the Website tab, then select Edit System Text.
So for instance if the reservations page calls your units "Rooms" but you have cabins or cottages, you can change the word Rooms to whatever you want.

Back