Taking deposits

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
For those who take deposits- how do you file the cc receipts in anticipation of the arrival of the guest? I just took a reservation for Feb. Trying to figure out a good filing system so I can find the cc receipt when it needs to be signed!
Side note- when I run the cc without card present, I use the keypad to type out the guest's last name so it shows on the receipt. So, that's a help already. Just not sure about how to keep them all in order.

I do not do deposits, however, I have used an inexpensive weekly date book for rez info. Paper clip the receipt to the page that has the date of rez. Of course I only have 3 rooms......

For us, the merchant copy gets stapled together with the date after closing out the batch each night. The customer copy gets stapled to the reservation sheet we print up the day the reservation is made. The reservation sheet is a templet I use in my reservation software. The reservation sheet then gets filed by last name in my guest files. Each morning, we pull the reservations sheets of the guests coming in.
If we ever need to look up the merchant copy, our reservation system tells us the booking date and I will go through the dated batched receipts.

I have a file cabinet with a hanging file for each day for 2 months ie top drawer one month next drawer down month number 2. then the other months are all lumped in together by month in the third drawer ie december, jan, feb have a reservation sheet per booking and would staple it to that.

I paper-clip them into my diary on the check-out day.
Madeleine said:
Side note- when I run the cc without card present, I use the keypad to type out the guest's last name so it shows on the receipt. So, that's a help already. Just not sure about how to keep them all in order.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I've always written their name on the recipt so I know who's is who's.

SAME as Breakfast Diva but my records are all paper. Just 3 rooms here. I file by month in my lateral files.etc. Always take 1st night deposit, it encourages guest to show up....

I used to have a filing system by month, by date within the month, for all my upcoming reservations. I printed out the reservation form from the rez system. You could do that and attach the cc receipt.
Although I wanted not to print that paper, I wanted a back up if the rez system got fried.

:) We don't have a cc machine, we process through our computer. I "print" the receipts as a pdf. and "file" until checkin, when I print 2 copies - one for them, one for our files.
The cc number doesn't show (buncha xxxx's, just last 4 digits), so it's not on my machine.

Before we switched to ReservationKey, I would print a copy of the reservation confirmation (with all the guests info) then staple the credit card receipt to that. I've had to revise that system now. All deposits are taken automatically when the guest make their reservation online. I enter the information into Quickbooks and keep track of it that way. I print out a single information sheet that's kept in an accordian folder and filed by date of arrival. It the guest requires a receipt other than the one they received online, I print one for them.

Before we switched to ReservationKey, I would print a copy of the reservation confirmation (with all the guests info) then staple the credit card receipt to that. I've had to revise that system now. All deposits are taken automatically when the guest make their reservation online. I enter the information into Quickbooks and keep track of it that way. I print out a single information sheet that's kept in an accordian folder and filed by date of arrival. It the guest requires a receipt other than the one they received online, I print one for them..
Proud Texan said:
I enter the information into Quickbooks and keep track of it that way. I print out a single information sheet that's kept in an accordian folder and filed by date of arrival. It the guest requires a receipt other than the one they received online, I print one for them.
You're printing from Quickbooks? Or ReservationKey?

I have the cc deposits (50% at the time of booking) in an accordian file by arrival date. We run the balance at checkin. I take out the receipts for the week & paperclip to a local map & have them in order of arrival in the office. I have a calendar there as well with the name, room name, & arrival info. (because we pick up, so need flight or ferry & time).

Before we switched to ReservationKey, I would print a copy of the reservation confirmation (with all the guests info) then staple the credit card receipt to that. I've had to revise that system now. All deposits are taken automatically when the guest make their reservation online. I enter the information into Quickbooks and keep track of it that way. I print out a single information sheet that's kept in an accordian folder and filed by date of arrival. It the guest requires a receipt other than the one they received online, I print one for them..
Proud Texan said:
I enter the information into Quickbooks and keep track of it that way. I print out a single information sheet that's kept in an accordian folder and filed by date of arrival. It the guest requires a receipt other than the one they received online, I print one for them.
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
I print from Quickbooks. I customized my sales receipt in Quickbooks to hold all of the pertinent information copied over from ReservationKey plus any notes. I'm the only one who sees it, so I just added the extra fields that are populated from each customer file. I hate the duplicate entry, but I haven't figured out yet how to get what I need from printing directly from ReservationKey. I welcome any and all suggestions.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
I print from Quickbooks. I customized my sales receipt in Quickbooks to hold all of the pertinent information copied over from ReservationKey plus any notes. I'm the only one who sees it, so I just added the extra fields that are populated from each customer file. I hate the duplicate entry, but I haven't figured out yet how to get what I need from printing directly from ReservationKey. I welcome any and all suggestions.
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
There are a couple of things you can do in ResKey. I just click "reveal" where the credit card data is stored so it shows up when I print, then just print the whole page in the landscape position. It will then print the entire reservation. Another thing you can do is create a templet in the correspondence area. Create it with all the info you want (like a form letter). I have one I labeled "Invoice". On the morning of check-out, I print it up and it shows all the reservation information and remaining balance, etc. This invoice is then discretely added to their breakfast tray so they can review it before check-out. We don't charge their balance until check-out, so it works well for us.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
I hate the duplicate entry, but I haven't figured out yet how to get what I need from printing directly from ReservationKey. I welcome any and all suggestions.
Don't know if it has what you need, but I just noticed in ResKey on the guest's reservation screen, below where the balance is displayed there's a More button. If you click that then select Print Reservation it gives you a nicely formatted receipt with a print icon in the upper left corner to print it.

I print out the registration form after each reservation is made. This is the form that states our policies, room and tax that they sign at check-in. I then run the credit card and staple the receipt to that paper. I file it in a large binder by date. Everyday I pull out the registration forms for that day and have them sign them at check in an run the remaining balance on their card and have them sign the credit card slip. I print each reservation form so that I have a hard copy. Just in case we have an internet or power outage and I can't access them or if the whole reservation system looses all my info.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
I hate the duplicate entry, but I haven't figured out yet how to get what I need from printing directly from ReservationKey. I welcome any and all suggestions.
Don't know if it has what you need, but I just noticed in ResKey on the guest's reservation screen, below where the balance is displayed there's a More button. If you click that then select Print Reservation it gives you a nicely formatted receipt with a print icon in the upper left corner to print it.
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Wow! I never noticed that. Nice feature. That's definitely what I'll start printing out. That way I don't have to enter in as much customer data into quickbooks.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Wow! I never noticed that. Nice feature. That's definitely what I'll start printing out. That way I don't have to enter in as much customer data into quickbooks.
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Very nice but it gives far more information than what the customer needs. If you print this, only place certain info in your reservation notes box as this is displayed on the printout.
We may want to ask John if he could make another one with just pertinent information to be used as a invoice/reciept. They don't need to see the correspondence and history on it.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Very nice but it gives far more information than what the customer needs. If you print this, only place certain info in your reservation notes box as this is displayed on the printout.
We may want to ask John if he could make another one with just pertinent information to be used as a invoice/reciept. They don't need to see the correspondence and history on it.
Mine is set up so I can print 3 different sets of notes: guest notes (what the guest tells me like dietary restrictions), reservation notes (particular to this stay only) and housekeeping notes. I print the reservation notes on the reg form (usually food issues or some specialty thing the guest mentioned).
Only mentioning this because it can be set up so when the reg form is printed it prints a certain set of notes and not all of your correspondence with the guest. (Or notes like- smokers, DNB again!)
This is on a different system than what you're using, it can be done of there are separate note fields.

Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Arkansawyer said:
Proud Texan said:
In ResKey, I've set my guest invoice up as an e-mail templet. Just enter in the info you want for the guests to have. If you're giving it to them in person, just go into "correspondence", click "invoice", then print.

Back