Talkin' 'em in

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Long story so I'll keep it short here- guest who cancelled last week called from the road today and asked if we had rooms for tonight. As a matter of fact, I have his cancelled room still open, go figure. So I book him in for tonight. He says arrival here should be in 8 hours from where he is at the moment. That was 14 hours ago. Around noon I get another, frantic call from the road that his GPS is telling him to turn off the highway he has been on since he left home (except for when he got off the road when he shouldn't have) and to take a series of other major roads to get here. 'Is this right? Should I go this way? Shouldn't the other road bring me right to your town?'
Alrighty then. He was five states away and asking me whether he should follow the GPS or what he thought was right. Given his last choice was to get off at the wrong place while the GPS told him to keep driving, what am I supposed to say?

Sounds like you should call the nurse on duty and let THEM take him back to his cell...
Seriously, it makes you wonder how some people navigate the average day, doesn't it?

Oh good heavens. People are just too weird. Get out an Atlas and look at the map for pete's sake!!! Tell him to forget thinking he would make it to your place...DUH...people like this shouldn't even be on the road. :-(

All I can say is what I would do (I do not want to lose the revenue even if he IS an idjit - I have several directionally challenged friends. Maps do not help them). I would ask him if he is pulled off the highway - do not move. Then I would get out MY Atlas and ask where he is now. Then I would route him and hope he followed instructions.
This weekend I routed my guests from the Pittsbugh area to us via waterfall and leaf-peeping. routed a day trip for them - including covered bridges, WV craft shops, and a winery. Then I gave them a routing home via another waterfalls. They loved all of it. When I send confirmation letters, I route from the nearest Interstate to that guest to bring them in (unless they tell me of an interest that I know would be on the way and I tell them about it (and about speed traps).

All I can say is what I would do (I do not want to lose the revenue even if he IS an idjit - I have several directionally challenged friends. Maps do not help them). I would ask him if he is pulled off the highway - do not move. Then I would get out MY Atlas and ask where he is now. Then I would route him and hope he followed instructions.
This weekend I routed my guests from the Pittsbugh area to us via waterfall and leaf-peeping. routed a day trip for them - including covered bridges, WV craft shops, and a winery. Then I gave them a routing home via another waterfalls. They loved all of it. When I send confirmation letters, I route from the nearest Interstate to that guest to bring them in (unless they tell me of an interest that I know would be on the way and I tell them about it (and about speed traps)..
yes...if they are close...her guy was 5 states away and already 14 hours overdue. I wouldn't be worrying about getting them there...at this point ...and waiting for them :-( Not worth the grief...really!

This weekend I routed my guests from the Pittsbugh area to us via waterfall and leaf-peeping. routed a day trip for them - including covered bridges, WV craft shops, and a winery. Then I gave them a routing home via another waterfalls. They loved all of it. When I send confirmation letters, I route from the nearest Interstate to that guest to bring them in (unless they tell me of an interest that I know would be on the way and I tell them about it (and about speed traps)..
yes...if they are close...her guy was 5 states away and already 14 hours overdue. I wouldn't be worrying about getting them there...at this point ...and waiting for them :-( Not worth the grief...really!
This is interesting...you seem to be responding to someone and yet that post is completely gone.
Anyway, they finally arrived around 7.

catlady said:
BUT she said it was Noon. That means he had time to get there that night. It depends on whcich 5 States and where at the time. If they were in Cairo, Illinois and I was in Minneapolis, yes, I would forget it. Buffalo, NY to me? Come on down.

I brought it up mostly because it's funny how guests think we know how to get them here from 'there'. Wherever 'there' is. And yet, if we try this while traveling we are told (by other innkeepers, 'How would I know?' click.)
Talking him through the problem was easy for me because I know the route the GPS was putting him on because I have travelled it many times. Why they would think I would know anything about another state makes me wonder sometimes. Could they do the same thing for someone coming to visit them from 1000 miles away?
As it was, I didn't know if it was an immediate question, the exit is coming up do I take it? or a more relaxed, in a few miles we've been told by the GPS to exit this road.
They were happy I explained to them why they were being told to exit, but if I were traveling that far, I'd want a paper map.

Back