Tea drinking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, while waiting for everyone to get up this morning, we figured there would be a mad rush for coffee so we got 2 pots set up and had a third ready to go in the machine. Everyone drank tea. Ya ever have one of those days where you can't get anything right/

Whenever I show our guests to their rooms and give them the grand tour, I tell them what time breakfast is served (If they're our only guests, we're flexible) and ask if either or both are coffee drinkers. There have been plenty of mornings it has been tea or juice only.
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
What's wrong with these people?

Yes, we get our share of the "teaheads" and they drive us nuts because throughout the entire freakin' day I can't wash cups fast enough or fill the damn kettle often enough.
I never realized tea drinkers unlike coffee or other beverage drinkers can't:
a.) reuse a cup even a half hour later
b.) walk to the frickin' sink and refill a tea kettle they keep emptying.
Seriously, I've had them hand me the empty kettle on their way to fill their water bottles at the sink, but think the kettle filling is somehow only the lowly, subservient innkeeper's sworn duty.
c.) are so concerned about caffeine and the evils of coffee, but will drink a dozen cups of a beverage every day that in most cases has as much caffeine in it as coffee.
And don't give me the rigamorole about tea's "health benefits" because we've never seen a one of them refuse a butter filled scone, french toast with carmelized bananas, fistfuls of chocolate chip cookies or any of the myriad of other high fat, luxuriously decadent things we serve here.
Personally, I think its that they know tea is more expensive than coffee and they just want to get their "money's worth' out of their stay. For someone to drink $5 bucks worth of tea in a two night stay versus .50 worth of coffee is just not good budget traveling these days.
Sorry for venting but we have six of them this week and I'm a little worn out from it already. Three more days to go.
They stay. They drink tea. They go away. LOL

Yes, we get our share of the "teaheads" and they drive us nuts because throughout the entire freakin' day I can't wash cups fast enough or fill the damn kettle often enough.
Seriously, I've had them hand me the empty kettle on their way to fill their water bottles at the sink, but think the kettle filling is somehow only the lowly, subservient innkeeper's sworn duty.
c.) are so concerned about caffeine and the evils of coffee, but will drink a dozen cups of a beverage every day that in most cases has as much caffeine in it as coffee.
And don't give me the rigamorole about tea's "health benefits" because we've never seen a one of them refuse a butter filled scone, french toast with carmelized bananas, fistfuls of chocolate chip cookies or any of the myriad of other high fat, luxuriously decadent things we serve here.
Personally, I think its that they know tea is more expensive than coffee and they just want to get their "money's worth' out of their stay. For someone to drink $5 bucks worth of tea in a two night stay versus .50 worth of coffee is just not good budget traveling these days.
Sorry for venting but we have six of them this week and I'm a little worn out from it already. Three more days to go.
They stay. They drink tea. They go away. LOL.
Ha, ha. Yes, they can't use the same cup. And they do look at the kettle as if it magically refills itself. But, I'm on to them for tomorrow. I've refilled the tea caddy twice today. I'm out of some of the teas that were there yesterday because it's just a random selection of whatever I find at the store.
And someone just fired up the kettle again...

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Hmmm...this explains a lot-
ProudTexan said:
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
Tea drinker through and through. Have never had a cup of coffee in my 48 years. A source of consternation for my DH.
But I use the same mug all day!

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
ProudTexan said:
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
Tea drinker through and through. Have never had a cup of coffee in my 48 years. A source of consternation for my DH.
Good for you on the mug! I've had guests sip their tea, be halfway done, decide it's 'cold' and get a new cup and start over. Then again, I've had guests not only use the same mug, they use the same tea bag. I tell them they can have a new one but they insist there's 'plenty of tea' left in the one they have.
Just like in everything else, each person has their own quirk!
I've never had coffee, either, and I'm older than you are...I don't even like the smell of coffee. But we've been down this road before and it leads to no good.
wink_smile.gif

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
ProudTexan said:
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
They stay. They drink tea....
Then they leave, they have to pee.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
ProudTexan said:
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
Good for you on the mug! I've had guests sip their tea, be halfway done, decide it's 'cold' and get a new cup and start over. Then again, I've had guests not only use the same mug, they use the same tea bag. I tell them they can have a new one but they insist there's 'plenty of tea' left in the one they have.
I've never had coffee, either, and I'm older than you are...I don't even like the smell of coffee. But we've been down this road before and it leads to no good.
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
Hey, I'm not letting the coffee drinkers or I should say coffee wasters off the hook that easy either. Nearly every week, i'll do my best to gauge how many cups each guests drank their first morning.
So halfway through breakfast if the carafe is feeling a little low, I'll ask if anyone thinks they'd like another cup so I can get another pot going. Most guests will say, "no thanks, I'm ready to float away" but every so often, I'll get the "Sure, I love your coffee and could go for a couple more cups"
I'll brew it, they'll take a full cup with much more in the pot to go and then its left on the table three quarters full and they are out the door for the day.
The tea dumpers who will go through this whole process to make their tea, then sit and talk everybody's ears off for ten minutes and then dump 3/4 of it and start over drive me to violence.
Its the only beverage I know of that for some folks requires the arrogant, stodgy, pasty, overwhelmingly white middle class, pinheads who obsess over it to only accept drinking it at 185 degrees and not one degree less or its "spoiled" in their minds.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
ProudTexan said:
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
wink_smile.gif

I love the beverage reheat function on my microwave
teeth_smile.gif
I do like the smell of coffee but hate the taste. Even all doctored up with milk and sweet stuff. Mine is hereditary - raised by a single mom, she only drinks tea and so my sister and I only drink tea. My nieces called anything in a mug tea when they were learning to talk. You may be the only other person I know who has never drunk coffee.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
ProudTexan said:
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
wink_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif
I do like the smell of coffee but hate the taste. Even all doctored up with milk and sweet stuff. Mine is hereditary - raised by a single mom, she only drinks tea and so my sister and I only drink tea. My nieces called anything in a mug tea when they were learning to talk. You may be the only other person I know who has never drunk coffee.
My kids don't drink coffee. They may have tried it, but they are not coffee drinkers. So now, by extension, you know 3 people! And probably a lot more. How many guests say they've never had coffee? BTW, I don't drink tea, either. Hot cocoa, that's my monkey.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
ProudTexan said:
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
Hey, I'm not letting the coffee drinkers or I should say coffee wasters off the hook that easy either. Nearly every week, i'll do my best to gauge how many cups each guests drank their first morning.
So halfway through breakfast if the carafe is feeling a little low, I'll ask if anyone thinks they'd like another cup so I can get another pot going. Most guests will say, "no thanks, I'm ready to float away" but every so often, I'll get the "Sure, I love your coffee and could go for a couple more cups"
I'll brew it, they'll take a full cup with much more in the pot to go and then its left on the table three quarters full and they are out the door for the day.
The tea dumpers who will go through this whole process to make their tea, then sit and talk everybody's ears off for ten minutes and then dump 3/4 of it and start over drive me to violence.
Its the only beverage I know of that for some folks requires the arrogant, stodgy, pasty, overwhelmingly white middle class, pinheads who obsess over it to only accept drinking it at 185 degrees and not one degree less or its "spoiled" in their minds.
I don't get that involved. I couldn't even describe a 'typical tea drinker'. I just mentioned it because it's not usual to throw a whole pot of coffee out because no one even started to drink it. If it looks like guests are sitting around and the coffee is low, I'll make a half pot. If it gets tossed, no big deal. (Maybe I can say that because I'm not a coffee drinker! It's not like black gold to me!)
We make one pot of decaf and one pot of regular to start the day, everyday (unless we have only one room, then we'll ask, otherwise it's just too much to keep track of). We get more decaf drinkers than many other places seem to get. Or 'half caf'. Or one caf and one decaf cup. It's a rare day the decaf doesn't get touched at all.
I will even 'decaf' tea for guests if they like a particular flavor but I don't have that in a decaf tea bag.
Now, if we hadn't made that extra pot today, everyone would have been a coffee drinker, including the 3 kids, and we would have had a line forming for coffee!

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
ProudTexan said:
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
wink_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif
My kids don't drink coffee. They may have tried it, but they are not coffee drinkers. So now, by extension, you know 3 people! And probably a lot more. How many guests say they've never had coffee? BTW, I don't drink tea, either. Hot cocoa, that's my monkey.
Bree said:
Maybe it's because it's Texas, but we get a lot of Diet Dr. Pepper drinkers at breakfast. So much so, we've started stocking it.

Whenever I show our guests to their rooms and give them the grand tour, I tell them what time breakfast is served (If they're our only guests, we're flexible) and ask if either or both are coffee drinkers. There have been plenty of mornings it has been tea or juice only.
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
What's wrong with these people?.
My Monday people are no coffee and no tea. I think she just drinks water - I can't remember but this is her 3rd time here this year. I do not even have to worry about her getting to the stables because she knows the drill - I have a City Council meeting.
I have had guests sample several different teas because we have so many to try. Tomorrow I am making a pot of Kona Blend and a pot of FTO Bolivia because this guest could not decide which she wanted. She is excited about having a coffee tasting. Her husband is diet/caffiene-free Coke.
To those needing a LOT of hot water - get a 4 liter Zojirushi. We love ours and it keeps the water hot all day. One touch water dispensing (the reason I bought it for DH) and the water guage is so easy to read that even I can see when it is low.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
ProudTexan said:
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Proud Texan said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
No, they're the ones who show up at your door step amazingly early to check in because they have to pee!

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
ProudTexan said:
No coffee?
coffee_cup.gif
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Proud Texan said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
No, they're the ones who show up at your door step amazingly early to check in because they have to pee!
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
That would be me, I just discovered a super way to wake up and energize myself while preparing breakfast - ice cold watermelon. I was cutting it up for guests and decided I needed a slab of it myself, and it is sooooooo good. Now...well the rest is history. But I couldn't stop, I must be dehydrated and needed all that water!

That happens to me quite often....so, I make less coffee and we run out...no matter what we do, it's not right..haha

haha, had a guest once, drank so much tea, he just used my 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup to make it in.....

i drink both coffee AND tea.
i enjoy them both
and, as a guest, i'd probably make you mad if you ask me tonite what i want tomorrow morning because ... i'm not sure.
if i wake up and my stomach feels a little unsettled, i want tea. followed by more tea. and then .... coffee. yup, both.
as for leftover coffee, i set it in the guest library in old carafes for 'laters' or in the fridge for iced coffee in the afternoon.
i also serve it to my blue hydrangeas and other acid loving plants (lupines, spruce trees, rhododendrans, blueberries) and stir the grounds into their soil (especially hostas and lilies) when i have the time. i do it because my grampy taught me to ~ i sure do hope this bit of folksy gardening is correct because my plants seem really happy.

That's why I use the breakfast time request forms - it's saved me from making coffee and decaf coffee many times.

i drink both coffee AND tea.
i enjoy them both
and, as a guest, i'd probably make you mad if you ask me tonite what i want tomorrow morning because ... i'm not sure.
if i wake up and my stomach feels a little unsettled, i want tea. followed by more tea. and then .... coffee. yup, both.
as for leftover coffee, i set it in the guest library in old carafes for 'laters' or in the fridge for iced coffee in the afternoon.
i also serve it to my blue hydrangeas and other acid loving plants (lupines, spruce trees, rhododendrans, blueberries) and stir the grounds into their soil (especially hostas and lilies) when i have the time. i do it because my grampy taught me to ~ i sure do hope this bit of folksy gardening is correct because my plants seem really happy..
Iced coffee~ great idea! I'll save any that's leftover tomorrow morning and do that.

Back