Tea - how simple or elaborate is your tea selection?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
We are coffee people, but I respect that tea people can be as or more picky as coffee people.
We offer a black and a green for the Kuerig and also 4 bags - Earl Grey, black, green and chamomile. We also have a hot water pot to boil water.
Do you find people want real tea pots? Restaurant style? Or tea room style?

Great question, we have had lots of tea drinkers lately and I am not really happy with our tea service. We have a basket filled withBigelows tea envelopes. Since they are foil wrapped I figured they would keep better. The selection includes: English breakfast, Earl Gray, English Teatime, Constant comment,Vanilla Chai.In herbals we have, Mint, Raspberry, lemon zinger. We also have green tea with lemon. We also have a few decaf tea selections. We serve the tea basket along with a tea pot of hot water. It seems lacking somehow. I guess I read all those tea shop mysteries and they make serving tea so beautiful. I guess I need to learn more about tea. Thoughts?

12 herbals or decaf teas, 12 caffeinated teas including green, black, English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast and flavoured teas. So... just 2 dozen.

Always English breakfast plus 2-3 others in the rooms.
A presentation box in the breakfast room with 8 teas, Camomile, lemon & ginger, earl grey, English Breakfast, Red berry, Green, Peppermint and our favourite, Assam.

This is from 2008. There have been a few changes but not many. The hot pot has been replaced by a water reservoir (where the crock is on the buffet) and the coffee pot seen here is now a Keurig. Between what is on the shelves and what is in the tea chest and next to it, I think we have at least 100 varieties of tea. They mostly make it by the cup. I have 16 to 21 countries of green coffee beans in-house. Just roasted Peru for the wedding couple coming in Saturday. Did Costa Rica for my last guests.
TeawithCoffeeCorner.jpg

Great question, we have had lots of tea drinkers lately and I am not really happy with our tea service. We have a basket filled withBigelows tea envelopes. Since they are foil wrapped I figured they would keep better. The selection includes: English breakfast, Earl Gray, English Teatime, Constant comment,Vanilla Chai.In herbals we have, Mint, Raspberry, lemon zinger. We also have green tea with lemon. We also have a few decaf tea selections. We serve the tea basket along with a tea pot of hot water. It seems lacking somehow. I guess I read all those tea shop mysteries and they make serving tea so beautiful. I guess I need to learn more about tea. Thoughts?.
Loose tea as an option? we live in the place where Yorkshire Tea is made and have a world famous tea shop here and several multi award winning tea and coffee shops - the british have made having a cup of tea or coffee into an afternoons entertainment - check out Bettys and Taylors for mad varieties plus new tea company does vitamin green teas
he UK’s first range of vitamin infused functional hot drinks, T Plus blend a range of Sri Lankan green tea with vitamins, functional herbs and natural fruit flavours to create a functional range set to target health conscious individuals. TAste good to - I like the Boost when Im flagging in the afternoon

Great question, we have had lots of tea drinkers lately and I am not really happy with our tea service. We have a basket filled withBigelows tea envelopes. Since they are foil wrapped I figured they would keep better. The selection includes: English breakfast, Earl Gray, English Teatime, Constant comment,Vanilla Chai.In herbals we have, Mint, Raspberry, lemon zinger. We also have green tea with lemon. We also have a few decaf tea selections. We serve the tea basket along with a tea pot of hot water. It seems lacking somehow. I guess I read all those tea shop mysteries and they make serving tea so beautiful. I guess I need to learn more about tea. Thoughts?.
Loose tea as an option? we live in the place where Yorkshire Tea is made and have a world famous tea shop here and several multi award winning tea and coffee shops - the british have made having a cup of tea or coffee into an afternoons entertainment - check out Bettys and Taylors for mad varieties plus new tea company does vitamin green teas
he UK’s first range of vitamin infused functional hot drinks, T Plus blend a range of Sri Lankan green tea with vitamins, functional herbs and natural fruit flavours to create a functional range set to target health conscious individuals. TAste good to - I like the Boost when Im flagging in the afternoon
The tins are all loose teas and thanks to Cambs, I have Harrogate tea. I think I MUST go to s Betty's and a Taylors while I am there.

Two Questions
How long does tea (loose leaf and bags) stay fresh?
and Kathleen, how do you grind your coffee?
Thanks

Two Questions
Thanks.
seashanty said:
Two Questions
Thanks
In tins longer than in paper, but I have no idea. No tea drinker has commented in a bad way yet.
I have a Braun coffee grinder my son gave me at least 30 years ago. It still works.

I don't have time to be a tea shop. That said, tea pots can be very cute!
We only have tea bags, no loose tea. We have a kettle for heating the water.
I have milk, but no lemon.
There is high test English tea from Yorkshire. The other 20 odd packs are half decaf and half caffeinated. Different types. (I get them at Christmas Tree shops.)
Top sellers? English breakfast, Irish breakfast, Earl grey, blueberry. Don't bother with Eggenoggin. No one likes that.

I keep a hot water kettle at the ready just outside the guest rooms with a selection of English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Mint and Chamomile plus hot chocolate packets. Mugs and spoons are by the kettle and half and half is in the fridge in the same area.
For breakfast service, we use individual tea pots with the same selection of teas. Half and half in a creamer, Lemon if they ask, they rarely do. Mint is by far the most popular tea

Two Questions
Thanks.
Loose leaf stays good for ages - looked on Wikihow says for years if in a sealed container, kept in dark and away from strong spices etc don't know if I would go that far but a year would probably be ok

Good to know. I've got random teas packed away and threw some away. As for me, I love chai tea

We have about 25 different types of tea - Whenever we see something new we buy a box. Latest discovery is Maple Tea. Agree that English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Green Tea and Earl Grey (in that order) are the biggies. We have two tea boxes, one in our fireplace room and another in the dining room. In the fireplace room we have a water cooler that dispenses hot and cold water. In the dining room we have our new Zojirushi hot water boiler.
Tea people can be more militant than coffee drinkers. But if you make them happy, they're even more appreciative.

A really lovely family gave me a present of coffee flavoured with vanilla and macadamia, from their home of Hawaii.
It's gorgeous. Keeping that hidden for personal use only.

We have about 25 different types of tea - Whenever we see something new we buy a box. Latest discovery is Maple Tea. Agree that English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Green Tea and Earl Grey (in that order) are the biggies. We have two tea boxes, one in our fireplace room and another in the dining room. In the fireplace room we have a water cooler that dispenses hot and cold water. In the dining room we have our new Zojirushi hot water boiler.
Tea people can be more militant than coffee drinkers. But if you make them happy, they're even more appreciative..
PhineasSwann said:
Tea people can be more militant than coffee drinkers. But if you make them happy, they're even more appreciative.
I have the Zojirushi - I got it because Himself did not have the strength to pick up the hot pot. It is wonderful - keeps water hot and lots of it. I lso have the Maple Tea courtesy of an innmate. I love maple.
My elopement couple coming in tomorrow requested venison sausage so i made it yesterday - with maple syrup (WV maple syrup of course).

Tea people can be more militant than coffee drinkers. But if you make them happy, they're even more appreciative..
PhineasSwann said:
I have the Zojirushi - I got it because Himself did not have the strength to pick up the hot pot. It is wonderful - keeps water hot and lots of it. I lso have the Maple Tea courtesy of an innmate. I love maple.
My elopement couple coming in tomorrow requested venison sausage so i made it yesterday - with maple syrup (WV maple syrup of course).
We have the Secura instead. Which amazingly sells from the same price on either side of the border, in spite of the currency exchange rate.

We have a very large variety of teas and herbal teas, most of them from Stash teas. Our most popular one is "Breakfast in Paris", which has a touch of lavender in it.
Now... if you had the exact same tea, but named it "Breakfast in Kandahar", do you think it would be as popular ?

We use teas that are individually wrapped only so two or three brands and what they have. Had one guest request red clover tea... we still have the box of it minus the few they used.

PhineasSwann said:
Zojirushi here too, circa 1990 and something. Just keeps boiling and boiling!

Back