Tech Survey & the Bed & Breakfast Business Traveler - INN the news-letter 10.28.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Tech Survey & the Bed & Breakfast Business Traveler
Thank you for taking our tech survey last week. Of the 200 innkeepers who filled out this survey:
96% of inns have hi-speed Internet connection
3% have no Internet
1% have dial-up
95% have wireless
This is an important finding because hi-speed Internet is so needed by business travelers. Most inns, judging by this October survey are providing it.
from JBJ - - Survey Courtesy of ilovesinns

Was it an online survey?
...coulda skewed the results...
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Was it an online survey?
=)
Kk.
Ya think????
smileystooges.gif

Why would it be skewed?
It said of 200 innkeepers this was the result. I filled it out as I am sure many did from here.

Was it an online survey?
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Was it an online survey?
=)
Kk.
The survey was sent via email with a link to iloveinns members. You would have to have email and access to the internet to fill it out. If you have neither, your vote would be missing...

Was it an online survey?
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Was it an online survey?
=)
Kk.
The survey was sent via email with a link to iloveinns members. You would have to have email and access to the internet to fill it out. If you have neither, your vote would be missing...
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
Was it an online survey?
=)
Kk.
It stated dial up or high speed or wireless. Of course the inns on iloveinns have EMAIL!

But what was the question asked? Was it "What do you have?" or "What do you offer guests?"
6 inns answering "no internet access" to an internet based survey leads me to think it was "What do you offer guests"

But what was the question asked? Was it "What do you have?" or "What do you offer guests?"
6 inns answering "no internet access" to an internet based survey leads me to think it was "What do you offer guests".
swirt said:
6 inns answering "no internet access" to an internet based survey leads me to think it was "What do you offer guests"
That is what it is. The title is B&B Business Traveler
What do you offer YOUR guests - why should you offer WI FI and/or high speed internet? This is what the topic is about.

I guess I was the 1%. I am still on dial-up (it is free with my hosting). If i go DSL or anything else it will cost me more. My City is now talking about getting wireless for the City meaning the City gets it and anyone can log into it. Once that happens, I will definitely be offering my guests free wifi.

I guess I was the 1%. I am still on dial-up (it is free with my hosting). If i go DSL or anything else it will cost me more. My City is now talking about getting wireless for the City meaning the City gets it and anyone can log into it. Once that happens, I will definitely be offering my guests free wifi..
I'm still stuck on dial up. I'm not close enough to the ritzy golf community to get high speed. And I'm sure as soon as I fork out the money for a satelite they'll call me that I will be in range. And I'm not impressed withour TV satelite reception. There is a reason they say "so long as you have a CLEAR view of the sky". If there's a storm bye bye tv reception.
Riki

I guess I was the 1%. I am still on dial-up (it is free with my hosting). If i go DSL or anything else it will cost me more. My City is now talking about getting wireless for the City meaning the City gets it and anyone can log into it. Once that happens, I will definitely be offering my guests free wifi..
gillumhouse said:
I guess I was the 1%. I am still on dial-up (it is free with my hosting). If i go DSL or anything else it will cost me more. My City is now talking about getting wireless for the City meaning the City gets it and anyone can log into it. Once that happens, I will definitely be offering my guests free wifi.
It costs me more to do dial up. Cable companies discount the cable if you package it with high speed access. I can get the cable and high speed for $85 per month. I have to have cable for guests, so it is a win win.
We all have diff clientele, some we share, some are totally different. But I would say 65-75% of our guests use our wi-fi and 95% require cable tv's in their rooms. So it works out, plus I could never use a slow connection again. My husband is in the I.T. world, we already are having a tower installed (through the power company) to get wi fi out in timbuk two on our land we plan to build on when we sell here. Progress - we can't go back now.

gillumhouse said:
It costs me more to do dial up. Cable companies discount the cable if you package it with high speed access. I can get the cable and high speed for $85 per month. I have to have cable for guests, so it is a win win.
We all have diff clientele, some we share, some are totally different. But I would say 65-75% of our guests use our wi-fi and 95% require cable tv's in their rooms. So it works out, plus I could never use a slow connection again. My husband is in the I.T. world, we already are having a tower installed (through the power company) to get wi fi out in timbuk two on our land we plan to build on when we sell here. Progress - we can't go back now.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
We just went with the phone company's bundled pkg. My internet connection was supposed to triple in speed. Yeah right. I still sit here and wait for pages to load.

gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
We just went with the phone company's bundled pkg. My internet connection was supposed to triple in speed. Yeah right. I still sit here and wait for pages to load.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Do you check it? We had at one time been dropped back down and it was so obvious this thing was so sluggish.
Click here to check your speed.
I just checked I am over 2mbps (which is what we are paying for so that is good)

gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Do you check it? We had at one time been dropped back down and it was so obvious this thing was so sluggish.
I just checked I am over 2mbps (which is what we are paying for so that is good)
Hee hee...that speedometer tops out at 2Mb/s. Here is the test to use if you peg the meter on that one LOL
http://speedtest.twrochester.com/speedtest.php
Roadrunner for me just hit 9.6Mb/s
regular_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Hee hee...that speedometer tops out at 2Mb/s. Here is the test to use if you peg the meter on that one LOL
regular_smile.gif

swirt said:
regular_smile.gif
5.4MBps

gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Me too, pegged it right out. But it doesn't SEEM any faster to me as I sit here and wait for pages to load. So, could be my computer is bogged down and not the internet speed.

gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif

swirt said:
regular_smile.gif
And there is the problem...the upload speed is slow. So, when I send a request out for a new page it takes forever to get there.

gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif

swirt said:
regular_smile.gif
Yours is twice as fast as mine...
Seems appropriate...
=)
Kk.

The image is visible, but the music you don't get until you click on it (which is as it should be)
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif

swirt said:
regular_smile.gif
And there is the problem...the upload speed is slow. So, when I send a request out for a new page it takes forever to get there.
upload is always much slower than download for cable and dsl type connections (that prevents too many geeks from running their own webservers in their basements) example mine: download-9.6Mb/s upload-0.3Mb/s

Back