Tech Survey & the Bed & Breakfast Business Traveler - INN the news-letter 10.28.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I was the 1%. I am still on dial-up (it is free with my hosting). If i go DSL or anything else it will cost me more. My City is now talking about getting wireless for the City meaning the City gets it and anyone can log into it. Once that happens, I will definitely be offering my guests free wifi..
gillumhouse said:
I guess I was the 1%. I am still on dial-up (it is free with my hosting). If i go DSL or anything else it will cost me more. My City is now talking about getting wireless for the City meaning the City gets it and anyone can log into it. Once that happens, I will definitely be offering my guests free wifi.
It costs me more to do dial up. Cable companies discount the cable if you package it with high speed access. I can get the cable and high speed for $85 per month. I have to have cable for guests, so it is a win win.
We all have diff clientele, some we share, some are totally different. But I would say 65-75% of our guests use our wi-fi and 95% require cable tv's in their rooms. So it works out, plus I could never use a slow connection again. My husband is in the I.T. world, we already are having a tower installed (through the power company) to get wi fi out in timbuk two on our land we plan to build on when we sell here. Progress - we can't go back now.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
I guess I was the 1%. I am still on dial-up (it is free with my hosting). If i go DSL or anything else it will cost me more. My City is now talking about getting wireless for the City meaning the City gets it and anyone can log into it. Once that happens, I will definitely be offering my guests free wifi.
It costs me more to do dial up. Cable companies discount the cable if you package it with high speed access. I can get the cable and high speed for $85 per month. I have to have cable for guests, so it is a win win.
We all have diff clientele, some we share, some are totally different. But I would say 65-75% of our guests use our wi-fi and 95% require cable tv's in their rooms. So it works out, plus I could never use a slow connection again. My husband is in the I.T. world, we already are having a tower installed (through the power company) to get wi fi out in timbuk two on our land we plan to build on when we sell here. Progress - we can't go back now.
We just went with the phone company's bundled pkg. My internet connection was supposed to triple in speed. Yeah right. I still sit here and wait for pages to load.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
We just went with the phone company's bundled pkg. My internet connection was supposed to triple in speed. Yeah right. I still sit here and wait for pages to load.
Do you check it? We had at one time been dropped back down and it was so obvious this thing was so sluggish.
Click here to check your speed.
I just checked I am over 2mbps (which is what we are paying for so that is good)
Hee hee...that speedometer tops out at 2Mb/s. Here is the test to use if you peg the meter on that one LOL
http://speedtest.twrochester.com/speedtest.php
Roadrunner for me just hit 9.6Mb/s
regular_smile.gif

swirt said:
Hee hee...that speedometer tops out at 2Mb/s. Here is the test to use if you peg the meter on that one LOL
regular_smile.gif
And there is the problem...the upload speed is slow. So, when I send a request out for a new page it takes forever to get there.
upload is always much slower than download for cable and dsl type connections (that prevents too many geeks from running their own webservers in their basements) example mine: download-9.6Mb/s upload-0.3Mb/s
Yeah, I know that. Hubs says it is MUCH faster for him on his computer and on the travel laptop. He thinks because I am hard-wired all the time I'm not noticing the difference.

Your speeds are awesome as I sit here with 50.6 kbs BUT i pay 26.50 with tax for my hosting that includes unlimited Internet access and up to 10 e-mail addresses. If I go high speed, I will have to still pay 26.50 for my hosting PLUS the high speed fee. Since I cannot prove how many did not call or inquire, I only know of one the said no because of Internet.
I will wait for the City to get it. My City is moving along and there is are a couple of techies on the Council. They even authorized a Blackberry for the City Manager! It will come soon.

Your speeds are awesome as I sit here with 50.6 kbs BUT i pay 26.50 with tax for my hosting that includes unlimited Internet access and up to 10 e-mail addresses. If I go high speed, I will have to still pay 26.50 for my hosting PLUS the high speed fee. Since I cannot prove how many did not call or inquire, I only know of one the said no because of Internet.
I will wait for the City to get it. My City is moving along and there is are a couple of techies on the Council. They even authorized a Blackberry for the City Manager! It will come soon..
Smaller towns are definitely willing to spend some capital to get their citizens online. One town north of me has done that already. The town is a hot spot. It won't happen where I live because there are so many open networks here. You could sit in front of my house and log onto at least 2-3 open networks.

I guess I was the 1%. I am still on dial-up (it is free with my hosting). If i go DSL or anything else it will cost me more. My City is now talking about getting wireless for the City meaning the City gets it and anyone can log into it. Once that happens, I will definitely be offering my guests free wifi..
gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Do you check it? We had at one time been dropped back down and it was so obvious this thing was so sluggish.
I just checked I am over 2mbps (which is what we are paying for so that is good)
regular_smile.gif

swirt said:
regular_smile.gif
And there is the problem...the upload speed is slow. So, when I send a request out for a new page it takes forever to get there.
upload is always much slower than download for cable and dsl type connections (that prevents too many geeks from running their own webservers in their basements) example mine: download-9.6Mb/s upload-0.3Mb/s
Yeah, I know that. Hubs says it is MUCH faster for him on his computer and on the travel laptop. He thinks because I am hard-wired all the time I'm not noticing the difference.
Maybe it is a processing thing...like your computer needs more memory ;)

I will wait for the City to get it. My City is moving along and there is are a couple of techies on the Council. They even authorized a Blackberry for the City Manager! It will come soon..
You probably aren't looking for suggestions, but just in case. You are paying a LOT for hosting right now. It is almost a deal because it includes your dialup access. You can get reliable hosting for $4.99 per month and that includes up to 1,200 email accounts if you need more than 10 ;) So that means you are paying around $21 for dial-up which is probably a little on the high side (not sure for your area).

gillumhouse said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
regular_smile.gif

swirt said:
regular_smile.gif
Maybe it is a processing thing...like your computer needs more memory ;)
I was looking around yesterday and I have 5 gig of pix. The computer is 'running' a lot so I think it IS in an overload situation. Time to pare the pix. Altho, I went looking for the pix of the lobster boat for the blog and there's an empty folder where they used to be...I deleted them! Luckily, I saved them on the website.

Back