Technical website question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what a "nameserver" is? I have a site that is hosted by a certain company, but the nameserver points to a different company. Not sure how to fix that. Don't tell me to go to my webmaster...I do the site myself.

A name server is the server that records the web address and translates it into an ip address
For example, when you type in www.innspiring.com the request first goes to a nameserver, that returns the ip address of the site 123. 44.567.89 and says go find the site there. Think of it almost like a phone book ... If I want to call Bob Sled, I have to go look him up in the phone book by name to get the number.
I can't say specifically for any company how to fix it, but in general, you have to change some records in the name server of your host. Some hosts will allow you to do that through an interface in their control panel, and some will have to do it for you. It just depends on how they are set up. If you have a control panel to control domains, yo may be able to make changes in the name server. Look for a "DNS" button or menu.

If a name server was pointed to the original hosting company and was changed from that company to another name server by an account executive that I assigned, does that mean that he changed it to another hosting company and that the original hosting company is no longer the company on record for the domain name?
I think I may have just confused myself ;)

If a name server was pointed to the original hosting company and was changed from that company to another name server by an account executive that I assigned, does that mean that he changed it to another hosting company and that the original hosting company is no longer the company on record for the domain name?
I think I may have just confused myself ;).
Do you make the payments for your hosting? Who do you pay?
OTOH, you can check all this info by clicking here and putting in your domain name. If someone made unauthorized changes, you should at least be able to see some of the info. However, if unauthorized changes were made, they may also have blocked the info from being seen.
I think what you're asking now is, 'Did something happen I wasn't informed about and did I lose control of my website?'

I think I may have just confused myself ;).
Could be, but not necessarily. There are many reasons to legitmately point a dns entry from one host to another.
Beyond that, I can't say anything more specific without more details. (reveal what you want either here or in an email and I'll take a peek)

Swirt, I appreciate the offer. I don't mind sharing here...what're friends for ;)
The domain is hosted at goda ddy. com, and has been for almost one year. I assigned an account exec for the domain and he has since changed the nameservers to point to a different location then what go dady dy had them at originally. There was a disagreement between the members of the company and myself leading to my removal as webmaster effective 5 months ago. The account exec redid the site and pointed the nameservers to another location (I already said that, sorry). However, now the members are asking me for a refund for the money retroactive to when he repointed the nameservers. I never recieved a refund because as far a I know, goda ddy.com is still the host on record with the registar. So, does the money they paid for the domain and hosting get refunded just becuase the nameservers were rerouted?

Swirt, I appreciate the offer. I don't mind sharing here...what're friends for ;)
The domain is hosted at goda ddy. com, and has been for almost one year. I assigned an account exec for the domain and he has since changed the nameservers to point to a different location then what go dady dy had them at originally. There was a disagreement between the members of the company and myself leading to my removal as webmaster effective 5 months ago. The account exec redid the site and pointed the nameservers to another location (I already said that, sorry). However, now the members are asking me for a refund for the money retroactive to when he repointed the nameservers. I never recieved a refund because as far a I know, goda ddy.com is still the host on record with the registar. So, does the money they paid for the domain and hosting get refunded just becuase the nameservers were rerouted?.
So, does the money they paid for the domain and hosting get refunded just becuase the nameservers were rerouted?
Hmmm that is a sad story with lots of details, unfortunately I can't asnwer that last question because I still don't have the details I need to look it up and see what has happened with the registrar. All I really need is the url (you can email it to me if you don't want it public).
From a hyothetical point of view though, if they want a refund on hosting or registrar costs and you didn't get a refund for the same fees, then they shouldn't get a refund through you. But I guess some of that depends on the history and who said what to whom and who promissed what to whom ... it all gets pretty sticky.

Back