Telemarketers and other interruptions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
JBJ's post reminded me of this. The phone has been reasonably quiet lately in re annoying calls. What I have noticed is that it seems that there is a telemarketers' list out there with the PO's names all over it. (I DO NOT give out my name to telemarketers. I say I am not at liberty to disclose the owners' names. Hubs blabs all, I could shoot him somedays.) I understand his not wanting to be rude and then wasting time talking to people whose only reason for calling is to get our money, but why can he not just say the owners do not want their names revealed or something like that? Everytime a telemarketer calls now and asks for him I have to say he no longer works here. Won't do a bit of good as once your name is on the list, it's on there forever. Sorry, totally off the point I was going make...
So, when that list gets resold, we get lots of calls. Always asking for the PO's. I used to say, 'They are no longer here,' which only got me, 'Who are you, then?' which I wouldn't answer.
Now I say, 'Is that a guest? Would you like me to connect you with their room? Do you have their room number?'
Amazing! It actually shuts some of them up as they consult the list of names. Then they tell me they were told that is the owners name. To which I reply, 'Never heard of them, would you like to make a reservation?'
I only wish it was easier to tell on the caller ID who I was dealing with before picking up.

You and I bought about the same time. We both have the same issue. I have this new routine, I say it in a sobbing sorta way (One of the prev owners names could be female or male - they don't know s whichever name comes up it works) but I kinda softly pause and sob into the phone - "He doesn't live here any more...pause...sob...he hasn't lived here for nearly five years..."
They usually say "Oh, ok, sorry" and hang up.
Try it you will like it. Some will try to pursue further..."Well can you...?"
Me "I told you...pause...he doesn't live here."
Don't have the sound fx to go with this posting. Don't sob like real tearful sob, just kind a pause, a delay, then a sad "he doesn't live here..."

You and I bought about the same time. We both have the same issue. I have this new routine, I say it in a sobbing sorta way (One of the prev owners names could be female or male - they don't know s whichever name comes up it works) but I kinda softly pause and sob into the phone - "He doesn't live here any more...pause...sob...he hasn't lived here for nearly five years..."
Don't have the sound fx to go with this posting. Don't sob like real tearful sob, just kind a pause, a delay, then a sad "he doesn't live here...".
OK, that's better than firing hubs...sniff, he just isn't here anymore, sniff.
Can't I go the other way? 'He's not here and by God if you find him I want the first shot! That lousy SOB!'

Don't have the sound fx to go with this posting. Don't sob like real tearful sob, just kind a pause, a delay, then a sad "he doesn't live here...".
OK, that's better than firing hubs...sniff, he just isn't here anymore, sniff.
Can't I go the other way? 'He's not here and by God if you find him I want the first shot! That lousy SOB!'
LOL "I had to let him/her go, he used to buy crap from stupid telemarketers..can you believe he'd be that stupid....anyway, how can I help you?"

That is the mystery, they are always about to ask WHERE DID HE GO, and then think better of asking. Divorce? Death? Ran off with the gardener? ha ha

There are two good ways to get rid of them....
#1- list your phone # with the national do not call directory ( forgot the addy, but easy to google)
or, my favorite,
#2- Tell them you would love to talk to them , if they could hold for a minute.....set the phone down, have a cup of coffee, chat with guests...when you hear the bussy sign, you can hang up the phone......

#1- list your phone # with the national do not call directory ( forgot the addy, but easy to google)
or, my favorite,
#2- Tell them you would love to talk to them , if they could hold for a minute.....set the phone down, have a cup of coffee, chat with guests...when you hear the bussy sign, you can hang up the phone.......
Sorry but "Do Not Call" listing may cut out some..but not all. My solution...quick and simple....HANG UP!

or, my favorite,
#2- Tell them you would love to talk to them , if they could hold for a minute.....set the phone down, have a cup of coffee, chat with guests...when you hear the bussy sign, you can hang up the phone.......
Unfortunately, the Do Not Call list only works for reputable firms. The sleazy ones don't give a hoot. I even got a mailing from one of them today because I keep telling them not to call me anymore.
The DNC list is for residential phones. I HAVE listed my biz phone, too, but that only slows them down. I get very few calls on my home phone, but I still get them.

or, my favorite,
Sorry but "Do Not Call" listing may cut out some..but not all. My solution...quick and simple....HANG UP!
That's true...yesterday, direct tv called, saying the had an HBO deal we just could not refuse. My DH was on the phone with them and asked me if we were interested. I told him no, that if we wnted it we would call them to order it. My DH has somehow a hard time just saying no .....I also told my DH that we don't even have time to watch TV.
Still, the customer rep was not going to give up.
So, I just had enough. I took the phone from my DH, told the other person that we had no time to watch TV, nor time to waste on the phone telling him no. I then hung up, gave my DH a look of "see how easy this is?" , put the phone down and went back to work....
Companies you are doing business with are exempt from the list, but we can request them to not call us anymore. If I need something, I will call them.

Back