Tell it like it is!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InnBloom

Reaction score
I'm doing some research on B&B's in Switzerland, and I've come across this page on one of the B&B sites. I love it! Talk about making sure, in advance, that people know what to expect.
This is all under the heading:
Important Information to our Visitors from Overseas:
We put a lot of photos for your INFORMATION:

► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►

Please note that everything here may be different and smaller than you are used to.
► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►

Please make sure you checked the difference between the Swiss"B&B"- and Swiss "Hotel"- Classifications and the amenities and services to be expected
to avoid misunderstandings (INFO click ► VILLA ► our contract partners)
i.e. Our B&B breakfast buffet is rich in variety but different from U.S. style or those of U.S. Hotels! No warm meals on the buffet -
Details click at ►DINING ROOM !

►►► Please check the detailed information and photos of :

Our GREAT DANES
ROOMS ( style in general / size of beds)
►The TEA KITCHEN for the free SELF SERVICE of TEA & COFFEE is a facility for all our guests and not for preparing hot meals or store a lot of food in the small fridge.

► Please check also the Summer Event Calender and the "Markets of Richterswil ". These are "HAPPY HOURS" with music around noon on the WYSSHUSPLATZ, (see photos at ► Richterswil) but it is not everbody´s taste - so please ask us in advance. At these dates the garden will not be a calm place.

Our WINTER lasts more than 5 months - do not expect the garden to be green and
in bloom before beginning of April at the earliest.

[SIZE= 8pt]SITUATED in the GREATER ZURICH AREA we
[/SIZE] are not responsible for disillusionments if you expected to be in rural Switzerland or in a WINTER SPORT AREA or in "Heidiland"- landscape.

You reach these images within a short drive to the hill part of Richterswil at the “HÜTTENSEE” (5 min), the ETZEL (15 min) or EINSIEDELN & SIHLSEE (30 min) and on to HOCH-YBRIG MOUNTAIN AREA-Ski Resort - but you are not directly surrounded by it.
► We regret, but we will reject any complaints resulting from ignoring these issues mentioned above. Thank you for your understanding.

A man just called asking about a one night stay in June. He is ON the website but wants to know how much the rooms are. THEN...he says "Well I will be paying cash" and me says in reply "oh okay, so we will make sure we have change available for you." Yeah you get where this is going...
Then I said, we will still require a cc to make the reservation. "OH well how about if I send you a cashier's check in advance...?"
Send it to me. We will still require your cc to to make the reservation. Sweet isn't it. Every time I answer the phone it is a futile exercise.

A man just called asking about a one night stay in June. He is ON the website but wants to know how much the rooms are. THEN...he says "Well I will be paying cash" and me says in reply "oh okay, so we will make sure we have change available for you." Yeah you get where this is going...
Then I said, we will still require a cc to make the reservation. "OH well how about if I send you a cashier's check in advance...?"
Send it to me. We will still require your cc to to make the reservation. Sweet isn't it. Every time I answer the phone it is a futile exercise..
Joey Bloggs said:
Every time I answer the phone it is a futile exercise.
You said it sister! It seriously is EVERY call too, just time wasters. Hubs took one today, lady said she was ON our website but had questions about rates. Hubs said "Oh, you should book online and get the discount". She said "Oh, I will! What is your website?"
poke.gif

Sorry maybe I am missing something but why would you tell someone to go and book online when you have the captive audience on the phone?

I love the part where they let you know where you are NOT going to be staying. 'Heidiland' -cute. And that they let you know things are smaller there than in the US. Always good information.

Sorry maybe I am missing something but why would you tell someone to go and book online when you have the captive audience on the phone?.
I agree: you got 'em, book 'em. Yeah I know innkeeps get tired of writing stuff down, and sometimes it is hard to hear correct spelling, etc. but the booking is where it starts. I can't imagine you don't lose some % of potential guests with the go-to-the web and I'll give you $10 approach.

Sorry maybe I am missing something but why would you tell someone to go and book online when you have the captive audience on the phone?.
I agree: you got 'em, book 'em. Yeah I know innkeeps get tired of writing stuff down, and sometimes it is hard to hear correct spelling, etc. but the booking is where it starts. I can't imagine you don't lose some % of potential guests with the go-to-the web and I'll give you $10 approach.
If they are on the phone, I am getting dates and cc# before they have a chance to hang up! There is no way I am going to take a chance that they actually find MY web site. How many times have we heard "they said they were on my web site but when I asked what they were seeing, it was NOT my site." Not taking that chance thank you. Also it could be a web listing I did not post and has no liink to my online reservations.

Send it to me. We will still require your cc to to make the reservation. Sweet isn't it. Every time I answer the phone it is a futile exercise..
Couple times we had a corporate customer with only AmEx as corp cc, which we don't accept. I did block the room for 5-days, pending receipt of an exact amount company check with understanding that it was far enough in advance that check would clear before the stay. We weren't covered for damages during stay, but we thought the risk acceptable. A good booking, reputable company, no problems. It's a friendly world, isn't it?

Back